Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing trial software on computer that already has CS6 installed

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using CS6 version of Adobe apps on a MacPro 2008 system (macOS version 10.13.6 - aka High Sierra) for quite a while and got a free trial offer for new version of Photography apps with a new hard drive I purchased last week, but want to make sure installing the free trial will not goof up my existing CS6 installed applications versions before doing the actual installation of free trial software.

So basically, can a new/current version of Adobe apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) co-exist on the same system as the CS6 versions at the same time?  I don't want to have to re-install my CS6 version again after the trial expires if I decide to not upgrade. I will be installing the two sets of apps in different folders in the /Applications folder, so that's not the issue. The issue will likely be libraries installed in system folders and perhaps my ~/Library folder.

Anyone have any experience in doing this and what were the results? Did the CS6 versions have any problems when they were run after the new Adobe apps were installed?

I intend on installing the trial software under a different username just to lessen any problems with ~/Library conflicts, but have no control over where the system libraires get installed (or do i????)????

All hints, suggestions, etc about how to avoid problems given these circumstances would be highly appreciated. Also what is the most recent version of Adobe apps that can be run on High Sierra, as that is the last version of macOS that will likely be installed on this old MacPro computer.

Thanks very much...

-bob

TOPICS
Activation , CC FAQ , Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, it is not possible to have both Creative Suites and Creative Cloud installed on the same computer. I've seen reports that the Creative Cloud desktop app will hijack your Creative Suites software and make it impossible to run. 

See here for a thread on this topic and how to get rid of the CC software and reinstall the CS software:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/cc-has-hijacked-my-legal-copies-of-cs-web-and-design-cs6/m-p...

NOTE: The CS 4 activation servers were turned off a couple months ago. There's no telling how long the activation servers for CS 5 and CS 6 will remain available. You may not want to run that risk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT install a cloud subscription of you want to keep using CS6

As soon as you install any part of the Cloud, even a trial, it replaces your program management system
-if you plan to keep using a serial number program you should NOT install a Cloud program, not even a trial
-Read Cloud takes over https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Get-off-the-cloud/td-p/8075485 for some ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I found this post that says it's no problem, so not sure what to do now that I've got two opposite opinions. Take a look at the post at https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/can-i-have-cs6-and-cc-installed-at-same-time/m-p/5871001... 

Any comments?

Thanks...

-bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's no contradition, in fact.

The post you linked answers the question "if I have both CC and CS6 installed, will they both run". The answer is yes, or used to be on old Mac anyway.  

But you asked "  I don't want to have to re-install my CS6 version again after the trial expires if I decide to not upgrade." --- in other words, the question "Can I keep using CS6 after I stop using CC (trial or subscription)". The answer to that is no. Your original CS6 licensing was taken over by CC and no longer works if you aren't able to run CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines