• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to only uninstall Photoshop CS6 without having to uninstall the entire CS6 Suite?

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a reachout to anyone who has used the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner to uninstall and reinstall CS6. Is it possible to just uninstall and reinstall only Photoshop or does the entire CS6 Suite have to be unistalled and reinstalled? 

I am about to try the CC tool. There seem to be no other options. I have all my original discs dating back to Photoshop 1.0 (and Aldus Freehand before that).  I tried to reload CS4 and 5.5 (High Sierra 10.13.6) and get the message that they are not optimized for my operating system. 

Problem:

I am using Photoshop CS6 (High Sierra 10.13.6, MacBook Pro 2010) that keeps crashing on start-up. It just started happening. When I tried to uninstall using the "Unistall Adobe Photoshop CS6" in the application, then going to the CS6 (Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers/Adobe CS6 Design and Web Premium), I get the following error message:

"Uninstall Failed

Your uninstallation encountered errors

Troubleshooting tips:

1. Restart your computer

2. Exit all applications including startup items, virus checking and firewall software.

3. Uninstall again. 

You may also download & run the Cleaner Tool. If the problems persist, please contact Customer Service for further assistance."

Without a CC subscription, Adobe customer service is a bot, not a human, that doesn't help much. 

I do legacy book publishing and use scanners that need a direct USB-A port. Additionally, I have a rural bandwidth limited hi-speed internet connection and Adobe CC-cannot upload/download large print files with the lacking connection.  

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide. 

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, during installation you can select which programs from the suite to install.  however, you're trying to install on computer with an os ps was not designed to use.

that said, go ahead and try the cleaner and see if you can install.  if nothing from adobe is working on your computer, clean for everything.

clean your computer of adobe files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I have used Adobe CS6 since it first came out on the same MacBook Pro and I've all my design on High Sierra with CS6. It works beautifully, but Photoshop keeps crashing when I try to lauch it. I tried reinstalling using CS4 and CS 5.5 but got the same message about the installation encountering an error.   

The Cloud Cleaner DOES NOT  give options to uninstall  individual  apps. The only option the CC app gives is to completely uninstall the entire CS6 Suite, which means I'll lose everything.  

There are thousands of people who are experiencing this. It makes me think Adobe has automatically obsoleted the applications. I've not updated my Mac OS just so I could still access old files.  

I tried opening Photoshop via the terminal, but it still crashes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately with a 10 year old application it's almost as bad as trying to find parts for an old car to keep it running that they could get harder and harder to come by to keep it original.  Before you tried uninstalling did you try clearing out the preferences in your Mac user library (~/Library) and see if rebuilding those fixes the issue?  If not, can you try loading up a clean user account on your Mac and see if the problem persists?  If it does you could have corruption in your user account on the OS level and need to migrate y our data to a new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben. Some cars are just made better than others and last longer, but I hear what you're saying. 

I can't launch Photoshop, either from the app or the terminal. Here are the first few paragraphs of this morning's report going to Apple. I can't even set the preferences because I can't open the Photoshop application. I might be able to rescue an old preferences folder from time machine and replace the current one. 

Process: Adobe Photoshop CS6 [6364]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS6
Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
Version: 13.0.0 (20120315.r.428)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: bash [6358]
Responsible: Adobe Photoshop CS6 [6364]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2022-03-07 05:49:22.914 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14042)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 4D575A23-DE30-C8D9-6E43-383CB53B520F

Time Awake Since Boot: 14000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 4

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000068
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

VM Regions Near 0x68:
-->
__TEXT 0000000100000000-000000010333d000 [ 51.2M] r-x/rwx SM=COW A [/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS6/Adobe Photoshop CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS6]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

delete the preferences folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cs2, cs3 and cs4 products can no longer be activated, so you can be confident that cs5, cs5.5 and cs6 will, at some time, go the same route.

in the meantime, if ps cs6 is still installed, you can reset your preferences per @Ben M, https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

if that fails, try @Ben M's other suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck with suggested work arounds yet? I have tried absolutely everything to reinstall my CS6 on Sierra but I can't get it past the "missing files" part on the installation process. I have tried installing with both the original disk from purchase and the dmg file dowloaded from Adobe, same message on both. Have also tried dragging the exec/install icon into terminal, or double clicking the exec/install file. I have unistalled Java 8 and tried installing Java for OSX to see if this helped (it didn't). I have also tried to reinstall Sierra but get a message that pops up saying it needs to be verified by Apple. Not really wanting to pay for Creative Cloud as I am a small business so any other suggestions would be worth trying - not too technical though as I am a Graphic Designer not a Computer Technician. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you Tangeo! I haven't found a workaround yet. I can't get Photoshop to launch, so then I tried to uninstall and can't uninstall any of the Adobe products on my MAC. Everything else in CS6 works perfectly for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines