• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it rains, it pours:

"Report: AppleCare extended warranty could become subscription-based"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can use wayback machine and verify Adobe statements and understatements.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130424125958/http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html
   (accessed: 25 april 2013)

Are there any unique benefits that come with my paid memberships?

Yes, as a member of Creative Cloud, you get many benefits that you do not get when you purchase a traditional shrinkwrapped product:

• An ever-expanding membership that provides access to Adobe's latest products, services, features, and workflows as soon as they are available. You no longer have to wait 12, 18, or 24 months for the latest innovations.
  • Access to both the Mac OS and Windows® versions of the desktop applications and the ability to install them on your primary computer and one backup computer. So, if you have a Mac at home and a PC at work, you can install your applications on both as long as they are not running at the same time. See the product license agreements page for more information.
  • Access to any language version in which the CS6 and other desktop applications are available. Unlike owning the traditional licensed version of a Creative Suite product, Creative Cloud membership gives you the freedom and flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application.
  • 20GB of cloud storage space on www.creativecloud.com and file syncing to be able to access your work on any device.
  • Access to online services that are not available through the desktop products alone.
  • Administrative tools for centralized license purchase and management, workgroup features for greater collaboration, increased storage capacity (100GB), and expert services.‡

O.K this is great benefit. Fortunatelly in this FAQ Adobe do not mention about plan to discontinue traiditional licensing model. According to this point is a six arguments to buy membership. Discontinuation Creative Suite software product line is not listed in this FAQ.

O.K., we are waiting for next realease Adobe Creative Suite.

Do customers who buy traditional software licenses for CS6 get early access to new features?

Early access to these features is an exclusive benefit available only to paying Creative Cloud members through special editions of the desktop software.

O.K. Adobe. I can wait 1, 12 or 24 months to next release Creative Suite, gain upgrade to CS6.5/7.0/7.5 and retarded access to new features. According to quoted FAQ Creative Cloud is more attractive, more actual but perpetual licences are also good CHOICE.

"So Adobe decided to ship major milestone releases of Adobe Creative Suite software approximately every two years, with mid-cycle releases that incorporate the most critical features customers need in the interim years. The first mid-cycle release is Creative Suite 5.5, and it addresses these challenges."

- David Wadhwani, senior vice president and general manager Adobe Systems (may 2011)

http://www.adobe.com/inspire-archive/may2011/articles/article1/index.html?PID=2159997

"CS5.5 is the first release in our transition to an annual release cycle, enabling us to deliver content creation innovations to our customers more frequently in response to the rapidly evolving marketplace. It also allows us to augment our business model to drive incremental revenue.  In addition to the perpetual license model we’ve always offered, we now offer a new Subscription Edition with CS5.5 that provides a lower upfront price point for customers."

- Shantanu Narayen, CEO of Adobe Systems (6/21/2011 12:40 PM)

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/pdfs/Q211_Script_FINAL_Draft_FOR_RELEASE.pdf?PID=215999...

How many cycle and mid-cycle releases Creative Suite software we have counted from the "first mid-cycle realese" - Creative Suite 5.5?

Adobe is obligated to continue Creative Suite product line. Any big change in model licensing requires prior anouncement.

Can we trust Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main beef with Creative Cloud is the upgrades and not the cost (even though it will cost me 40% more than upgrading each year). Why does Adobe need to upgrade anymore when they have us locked into a subscription? Yes, obviously to stay above the competition, but let's not be foolish and claim that Adobe has ANY competition. With perpetual licenses Adobe was forced to make MAJOR revisions to it's software each cycle to ensure the customers will upgrade the next year (and most years they didn't, so most years I didn't upgrade). Yes, they have pushed some minor tweaks in their Cloud service, but let's not be naive, Adobe knows they need to do very little to stay ahead in the industry. Now that they have your money locked into a perpetual subscription, they will do LESS upgrades and never MORE. They want to make as much money with as little work. Who doesn't?

Right now their only competition is themsleves. DON'T SUBSCRIBE, you are only hurting yourself by locking into an inferior product with no incentive for improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lord Adobe is serious about raising profits and in turn the share price! Thats all adobe is looking at. The bottom line is the almighty Dollar peso, yen ero ........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Adobe products since 1995 - same as Mattrman. It's a shock that they actually did it but not something that surprises me. When I first saw that they were going to this cloud thing...I thought, "it's only a matter of time..."

To me, this is so completely annoying. However, my company can afford to do the purchase and so, it's not problem for me personally. I just feel sorry for all those Designers/Developers...that only use the software occasionally that can't really afford this sort of commitment. $50/month? Wow...

Perhaps this is the catylist for some group to offer open source solutions that catch on. Adobe, remember html5 and Steve Job's attack on Flash? Well, just image it all going "open source..."

Well, one can dream...for now...we must comply with our master's demands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also all the folks outside Adobe cheering for th CC are eligable for the stock Options as well.

Eligibility. Under the 2003 Plan, we may grant awards to employees (including executive officers) and

consultants of Adobe, our subsidiary corporations or other affiliated entities of Adobe, and members of our Board.

Pursuant to applicable tax law, we may grant incentive stock options only to employees; however, we may grant

nonstatutory stock options, stock appreciation rights, stock bonuses, stock purchase rights, RSUs, performance shares

and performance units to any eligible participant. As of February 2, 2012, we had a total of 9,776 employees and

consultants and eight non-employee directors who would be eligible to be granted awards from the 2003 Plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has built a solid and hidden stratagy to keep the Traing people and the staff on board with this silly concept the Creatvie clowwn, it is to offer stock optionss to staff and vendors, Why now d they offer options why not 2 years ago why not 8 years ago. They have not offerd an option since 2003

read this

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/pdfs/2012_Proxy_Statement.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recap of the first 3 weeks of this discussion.

cc-week-2.PNG

(The word 'Adobe' occurred 3 times more often than the 2nd entry 'cloud' and was removed for legal reasons clarity.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asa small printing business owner I could afford to move to the Creative Cloud concept, though it would be more expensive for me than upgrading when I feel the upgrade improvements are worthwhile. A number of issues are preventing me from taking this step:

• After years of the worst recession in living memory, every dollar has to work harder, so every time the cost of a service or product goes up I have to look seriously at whether to pay the extra charge or to use that money in another way.
  • I don't need the most up to date version of CS all the time. in the past 5 years I've turned down one $150 job because I didn't have the latest version at the time to make the job worth doing.
  • I no longer trust Adobe to provide what I, as a customer, need at a reasonable price. Once trust is lost it takes much more effort to restore it.

In my firm we use InDesign intensively everyday, Illustrator to some extent every week or two and Photoshop occasionally for basically simple stuff. My next decision will be whether to spend money on making my planned upgrade to CS6 or to spend that money in moving to another solution. Because of the trust issue, this isn't a hard decision to take.

Adobe has taken the view that they can live without a sizeable chunk of their customer base, judging that the profit they make from that segment is not significant and will be outweighted by the greater revenue stream from locking in their regular clients on a subscription system. This is a gamble which almost certainly will not pan out precisely as they expect it to - in the real world things rarely go as you plan! Wall Street will no doubt be watching the experiment with interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of interest. Of the 'ecstatic' 80% of CC adopters, how many of these are staff? And how much staff discount do they get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with Mattrman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2013 Jun 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a lovely email from Adobe this morning, everyone better get used to receving these lovely emails if you miss a payment.

Action required: Your Adobe Creative Cloud membership has been suspended

Hi,

Your Creative Cloud membership will be transitioned to Free at the end of the next billing period because we were unable to bill the credit card on file. Please update your payment information to resume your Paid membership.

Free membership provides you with access to powerful file syncing and sharing features, 2GB of storage space, free levels of Adobe services, and access to 30-day free trials of all CS6 applications and other Adobe desktop applications, such as Adobe Edge Animate and Adobe Muse.

Depending in the number and size of the files in your account, you may need to delete your files to get your cloud storage below your quota. If you leave more files than your allocation on Creative Cloud for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.

If you need help or have any questions, contact Customer Support

Thanks and enjoy,

The Adobe Creative Cloud Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very very bad idea.  I will not rent this software.  I will find alternative programs.  That's too bad.  I loved this software, I've been using Photoshop since version 3 and illustrator since version 5.  Looks like versions 13 and 15  my last.  I'll bet that whoever at Adobe had this idea will be fired before too long. Adobe will lose all their customers beyond professional design houses.  Many amateurs and dilettantes, such as my self, will not want to pay this, and will not.  Phooey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, now it's an affordable monthly fee but now it's riddled with problems you never had to deal with before. Awesome. For me the transform tools in Illustrator FINALLY being updated to do what photoshop has done for years was reason enough to sign up. When I bought CC it on an Amazon sale back in august the second auto payment failed because my debit card had closed due to a fraud attempt on it.

They just cancelled the whole thing- no request to update payment info, no warning, just go to open photoshop to get an assigment done and "your cloud subscription has ended. Access to apps will be cut off in 7 days"

so, after a week of back and forth between amazon and adobe, they managed to get it sorted ( or so I thought) by creating a new subscription on the back end and forcing my current subscription to cancel early.

well, fastforward 2 months and I open photoshop to the same message "your creative cloud subscription will end in 7 days"

I check it, see that there's still the old subscription in there, not yet expired, as adobe told amazon it would be, and my new subscription and figure it will transition over to the new one by itself. of course it doesn't

Now it's the second to last day, I open photoshop and get message: there was a problem processing payment. Apps and stuff will quit working in 1 day. login to manage your account" Now I've been sitting here on hold for chat for 3 hours, waiting for a rep to become available. I had one at the tail end of 2 hours, but I'd gone to the bathroom and they ended it because I couldn't respond. Now I'm waiting through the queue again. I have no reception to call, I guess I could get a new Skype subscription so I can call support. Do you think Adobe would reimburse me for that? Maybe they can reimburse me for th 3 hours I've been sitting here waiting for them to answer the chat window so i can make sure I still have access to the software I need for work tomorrow.

Adobe is no longer a software company- they're an awful slumlord taking advantage of the fact that an entire industry is completely reliant on them and they bought all the competition.

oh, yay! I finally reached someone on chat! They're transferring me to tech support. Let's see how long this takes... .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this just made my decision on what I will recommend to management.

After over a year of building up to a point where we can get a real tool and stop using Notepad++, the pricing model for this is not what were are looking for.

And given the increased poor stability of the CS products as I have moved from CS3 forward, I also don't see this as a good recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2015 Jan 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I'm am going to start animating and I will not put up with this! Let's make this thread become famous and then we can get Adobe to change! The free trial doesn't even work...    Anyways, ADOBE I WILL NOT BUY YOUR SOFTWARE I'M FINDING BETTER SOFTWARE WITH NO MONTHLY PAYMENTS! Adobe thinks losing a few customers is fine but wait until this becomes popular. This thread will someday get 100 likes! And will be on the news. My emotions: This thread: Adobe:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I'm currently using DW, and want to continue using it while living 6 months out of the year in China.  Chinese internet is horrible.  I love the fact that I never need to connect to the internet unless I FTP something to myself.  I think CC may deter people from using some of Adobe's products.  I think consumers are generally angry about subscription software to begin with.  It leaves a hole wide open in the marketplace for someone to either offer free software altogether or continue with offering non-expiring licenses.  If Adobe and others choose to "headlock" their users into subscription software only, then they will fail.  Users are already angry about it and see the writing on the wall.  The market will respond.  Companies sometimes forget that they don't control prices, they only control cost.  The market determines price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It is absolutely ridiculous and a greedy call. Let's see the truth behind why adobe does this: more money. I am a student. Even at student prices I would NEVER pay a monthly subscription for adobe products. I use photoshop CS5 maybe once or twice a month. Some months I won't use it and others I'll use it almost everyday. My work does not revolve around adobe products- therefore why should i waste money for something I won't use one month but maybe the next??

So lets see: for software that has the potential to be used for many years after its release, adobe does not make any money unless you upgrade to the newest software. So ideally, you could use Photoshop CS3 for 10 years after its release and still achieve some really amazing results and not be too "far behind the other guys" with the newest version. Adobe doesn't like this. They don't want average joe to pay every 5-10 years. They want a consistent stream of cash.

Looking at the FAQ, you also NEED INTERNET CONNECTION. Let me explain why people who say "you don't need internet connection" are incorrect. Let me quote an article published by adobe: http://www.adobe.com/inspire/2012/06/creative-cloud-answers.html.‌

• "They do not need to be online to use the products..."

BUT

• "Of course, an Internet connection is required at times to make sure their software is up-to-date and to verify their membership is active (paid for)..."

-Julie Campagna

So what does this mean? This means that you can only use the software if you connect to the internet at least once per month. Why? Like the above quote, Adobe needs to make sure you are legitimately using their software. It's now their property and you are renting it. You do not own the rights to it for personal use. You have the right to use it as long as you are in a contract with them. You own the files you create with the software, so rest easy. Because adobe is switching their payment system (monthly/annual charges instead of a one-time fee for physical CD or Digital Download), their servers will contact your computer and keep telling the software to function normally IF you keep paying the monthly/annual fee. Their servers will be waiting for your computer (more specifically, any adobe program you have) to contact them and ask in computer talk: "should I keep functioning normally or not?" And, no you cannot download the CC suite and rip out your ethernet card and cancel your subscription next month and still expect functionality. Nor can you add server IPs to your host file to prevent communication. Any disruption with the line of communication (either no internet or intentional tampering) will trigger the built-in safeguards.

IF you have no internet but WANT to use this draconian software, then purchase a prepaid yearly plan. That way you will only need to be in a place with internet once to download the program files and consummate the setup. If you do not have internet or easy access to internet at least once a month, DO NOT purchase the monthly plan. You have to do a prepaid option so the servers tell the program in computer talk, "function for a whole calendar year date even If we don't talk for one year from now."

So how do I feel about this change by adobe? Well, I hate it quite honestly. I hate anything cloud-based or demanding monthly payment (w/ exception to Netflix). And I hate paying for things I cannot own. If you give a company your money, are you renting it out to them or giving it to them? If the answer is the latter, then you should own what you pay for. That's my belief. Again, Netlix my personal exception. lol. I will NEVER purchase another Adobe product again. This tactic has disgusted me and as a result I will purchase Corel and be more receptive to the idea of pirating old adobe software on torrent sites. Stupid move adobe. You lost a large market of casual users and kept a smaller percentage of professional users as your customer base while promoting alternatives like piracy and competitor software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree! Adobe should think twice about forcing longtime users to subscription. You should keep the option to own the licenses as many of us as design professionals do not want to be forced to share our work in the cloud. We should have the option to use the software and upgrade when we choose.

You will be losing a lot of customers because of this option.

You should find a better solution this year as many designers will be using other resources, which is much of your revenue.

Customer loyalty and qualify of product should be thought about at your company as whole rather than Greed on a monthly basis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm against the cloud too. On adobe faq is written:

"Can I purchase a perpetual license for Creative Suite 6?

Yes, you can still buy CS6 products by contacting a regional Adobe call center, but we highly recommend Creative Cloud because it features all the latest creative software, including more than 500 features that have been added since Creative Suite 6. To purchase by phone, call 800-929108."

i called the call center, the chat, the forum and so on.... this is not serious! this is NOT true and i can't purchase my own software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not very happen about it either, I only need his every now and then, I don't want to have to pay a subscription! I may not use it for a whole month, yet still pay! Pleas adobe give us normal pay and nothing mor. Just pay a price ad then that's it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think is a huge mistake to rent the software, if this continues I'll be using other designing programs, you should keep the perpetual license mode or you'll be losing more clients, I understand this is for getting better profits but you are just walking over your clients. As we know there are more options to it as long as adobe don't change back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to start off by saying I love using Adobe Software! But my small arts high school paid $8,500 for a 250 seat perpetual site license for Adobe CS5.5, we used it for three years, and 45 students earned their Adobe Associate Certification, and as a result most are studying digital art in college, or working in the fields of graphic design and photography. Now, Adobe wants $11,800 every year for 60 seats, so over three years, it'll costs more than our iMac computer lab! I don't know what to do! Adobe made a very short-sighted decision to raise the price so high that the education subscription model is no longer affordable. If this pricing behavior continues, soon only the wealthy school kids will be able to afford up-to-date software, and the digital art, film-making, design, and photography careers will be further out of reach for students at small schools, it will not be level playing field for our kids. This is a very disheartening decision Adobe has made! HELP! ADOBE, PLEASE LOWER YOUR EDUCATION PRICE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Non Perpetual license means Adobe will shutdown at some time in the FUTURE mark my words ... 

This is a sad move by adobe...

But let me explain why Adobe will shut down in the future with this plan.

1rst people that dont like this license including myself will go to alternatives or will develop their own tools.  Having said that the market will be flood with alternative software that are cheaper to this and people will use this....

For example Microsoft is doing the same plan on their Office software this will lead to a disaster for Microsoft ofc people wont use Microsoft office the more restrictions you apply to humanity the more those companies will go to their doom...

Software rent is not something new it has been tried in the past and people dont like it.  People like to buy a one time license perpetual and thats it when the need an upgrade they will do an upgrade...  That means that a company has nothing new to add and asks people to pay for something that will not change or provide something better than the older versions. 

Why is this happening ? Because most of adobe software was not developed by adobe but it was bought by adobe...

What that means ? that adobe can not provide enhancement to that software thus they try to make as much money possible by not selling it until it dies. This is how i see it.   Non Perpetual license is a terrible terrible thing and adobe will see that in the future when people on the first chance they will move to the new and abandon adobe... Then i will be on my GLORY because what i said here will become TRUE and you will all have your proof about the man of wisdom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From this forum I can see those of us who don’t earn their living from this software are nothing more than second class citizens to the Adobe CC supporters. To answer a question though, I am staff at a school and get the software with my educator discount. I use the software on after hour’s projects above and beyond what I am paid for. Excuse me for my dedication to the students by shelling out my own money. You CC supporters that care nothing for us hobbyists and others that don’t make our living from the all mighty Adobe software sure have shown us where you stand. Most of us hobbyist just wanted to keep being creative. I can see your point of view, the CC supporters fail to see mine. Typical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines