• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple users working in the same document and same time.

Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys,

and thanks for looking into this

At our company we're still in doubt wether or not to update our software to CC or just update to CS6. Currently we all have different versions (going from CS3 to CS5), and that's really time-consuming.

The most important question would be if it is possible in the CC to work in the same file at the same time.

Working on magazines, catalogues or books this would be a major time-saving option!

For example I could work on chapter 1 and 6, whilst my collegues are working on the other chapters.

The other users could then see how far I am on my chapters, change things (make notes) etc.

Is this possible in CC or not?

Thanks for your answers and time.

Best regards,

Sam

PS: If there are major setbacks working on the cloud (between multiple users/computers) please let us know.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

I'm not saying that it is a simple switch to InCopy for existing users. I've trained several newspapers, magazines, publishers to use InCopy effectively in their existing workflow so I know the effort it takes. But in the end everyone was accepting and pleased with the accessibility it gave them.

I posted it as a functional solution compared to complaining about InDesign.

If people want to collaborate simultaneously in an InDesign document - InCopy is the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me attempt an answer.

Short answer, no. Multiple users cannot edit a the same file at the same time.

You'll need a content management system, to enable check in/check out, prevent overwrites etc. But (there's always a but), Creative Cloud offers several workflows and tools that can be used to help streamline multi-user publication workflows.

Using Creative Cloud will ensure that all users will be on the same version of the software, and there won't be any accidental lockouts due to format changes, and no need to run arounf to get the document downsaved. All users also have access to the latest features as soon as they become availble.

For products, such as books and magazines: InDesign needs to be the primary software that you use. When you design the content architecture of your publication, you can employ the following techniques and tools:

• Break up your publications into several INDD files, let's say for file for each story.
  • Compile the individual files into an InDesign book.
  • Link Ps and Ai or other files when you place them in the InDesign layout. That way whenever a designer updates an asset, InDesign will notify you that a linked file has changed and you can choose to update the link.
  • InCopy was recently added to the Creative Cloud. Authors can can edit stories without actually having to open the InDesign files. For details see the InCopy help. InCopy has several workflows that can help out in this kind of setup.

Other than the Creative Cloud apps, you'll also need to setup folder and directory structures on the shared storage location.

• Setup a shared location/drive so that all users have access to the linked files.
  • Control read/write access to individual files using the OS commands on the file directory/server. For example, Layout designers only have edit permissions on the layout (indd files); while Photographers can only edit .psd files, and so on. For small teams this might not be necessary, but for larger teams this may help.
  • You could also consider storing your files using a Content Management System. You'll need to evaluate the cost and benefits properly.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for the quick answer,

To bad it is not possible to work in the same document (specifically indesign when working on bigger projects such as magazines and books). We already break up our magazines/books into several files, but compiling them takes up a lot of time.

Personally we don't use the InCopy that much, because it creates more difficulties compared to importing edited texts it by hand. (especially for magazines)

We work from an internal server on the office, so we actually won't be using the cloud-folder that much.

Thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it due to the file types that a CMS cannot be created at some point in the future for multiple user management? For example, on Google Drive it is nice to be able to access presentation or drawing files at the same time and collaborate with other team members. Would this not be something Adobe could someday facilitate? It really would be nice to be able to access and edit files at the same time during certain situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later, Indesign CC still cannot open an .indd document that someone else has opened, not even in read-only mode. Pretty weak, and really bad for collaboration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know how yours wasn't the best answer, so "thank you" for the info.  Even 5 years later, using creative cloud is not intuitive to me, in terms of collaborating across Creative Cloud accounts in InDesign.

We still question whether the docs are in CC folders (being shared), then are they downloaded onto the other persons computer? how are they updated? are we all on the same version? Is it using Document Cloud instead? on and on and on? we have so many versions of the same files in so many locations.  And we are basically just 2 full time users.  We didn't have this problem when we shared the same account.

This all said, we are STILL looking for the best practices in managing our files system and workflows.  Especially across macOS and Win10.  Both of us use multiple workstations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty poor that InDesign doesn't support collaborative/simultaneous editing. Cheaper less 'feature-rich' software has this support and in 2016 i feel that it is a must for serious software. 

I would love to know when Adobe looks to implement this. I understand that it is no easy feature but it is something that is required and overdue. 

Come on Adobe, be a market leader, not a market follower. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a solution specific for multiple user collaboration. It's called InCopy. It comes with your CC subscription or you can get it separately for a cheaper solution. It's a great tool for editors, copywriters and designers to all collaborate in one document all at the same time. Read up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked in newspapers for over 10 years mate so I know all about incopy!

You want me to introduce a new way of working to over 150 users just like that?

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying that it is a simple switch to InCopy for existing users. I've trained several newspapers, magazines, publishers to use InCopy effectively in their existing workflow so I know the effort it takes. But in the end everyone was accepting and pleased with the accessibility it gave them.

I posted it as a functional solution compared to complaining about InDesign.

If people want to collaborate simultaneously in an InDesign document - InCopy is the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company uses vjoon K4 along with InDesign CS6 and InCopy CS6. I love the integration of CC, but our tech guys say we can't upgrade because of K4. Is there a workflow where designers and editors can collaborate on files by checking them in and out like K4, but can use CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting...

Don't like Adobe..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe is obviously not going to integrate this feature into InDesign anytime soon, but I have minor workaround that will work in one-on-one situations: screen sharing. It sounds like an almost barbaric way to achieve live collaboration compared to what we truly need but it's great when you're trying to work through layout design or even copy edits with a colleague. Macs have an easy way to do this baked in (even turns on the microphone so you can chat while you work remotely with someone) and I'm sure there are third party solutions for PCs. It will even let you grant the other user permission to control your screen, too, so you can both actually work together—you just have to be working on the same section of the document is the catch. I'm on a small team and will often use this while we're in the same room so we don't have to huddle around a single computer when working on a document. Being on the same network makes screen sharing particularly snappy, though it still works well remotely.

Other than that—while I design, whoever is writing will usually periodically open the doc, take a look, and close it without saving so as not to create conflicted copies. Or they might copy a section of the doc and paste it into an editor, make revisions, and later paste it back in when I'm not working on it. Written down like this I'm sure it sounds like a huge pain, but when it's all you know you don't really think about it. If you're a huge team you need InCopy, but if you're a small team you can get by with limited workflows like this.

It's not the best solution, but it's one that works in particular situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 years went from this complain, and still people can't collaborate on files!! Hello, its 2021 and collaboration is crucial!!! 

Your apps are generaly the most expensive compare to competiton, yet least functional in terms of collaboraiton. I am sure google, microsoft or apple will come with something soon! Please, I would pay even more just so I can enjoy collaborative tools, as well as more intuitive workspace. Note to say, that files from Indesign dont even show up in Creative cloud app. Only online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree! Microsoft is doing it better, and that's saying something. We are going to have to move away from InDesign if this feature isn't implemented soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are now almost in 2023... I think after Covid, etc and many people working from home, this should be a must in all software. We work on big projects, sometimes 4 people on 1 project and we all need to work on 1 file. We end up using PPT to put our presentation decks together. Such a pain, since all our work is done in InDesign and Photoshop and we have to manually update files on the PPT presentation. Why is it so hard to let multiple people work on the same InDesign file, come-on Adobe. Get with the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines