• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paid >$500 for Adobe Master Suite CS6 and I can no longer access/use it??

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased the Adbode CS6 Master Suite for >$500 AUD quite some time ago which gave me access to a number of products. However, when I have recently tried to access and use some of these tools , I found I no longer have access to them.

I did some searching and came across this article. In the interest of seeking first to understand, can Adobe please help me understand:

1. Where are the products I paid >$500 for?

2. How do I access/use the products I paid >$500 for?

3. If I'm no longer able to use the products I paid >$500 for, will Adobe issue a refund for essentially forcefully taking them back?

This is very confusing and would appreciate some clarity on what has happened here

- Mike

TOPICS
Activation , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 still can be installed and activated if you have the original install media and a valid serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can still install and activate your cs6.  you just need a compatible computer, your installation file and serial number; the same requirements as when you purchased it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At that very low price (retail was about $2800) did you buy the special Education version?

If yes, you MUST have your original install media... your special Education serial number will not work with the retail version that MIGHT be available to download now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@john that's correct. I believe I purchased it online for ~80% off. The full price was so expensive here in Australia that it was cheaper to buy return flights to the U.S. to get the CD! How times have changed...

I can't see any historical product purchases on my Adobe account either. It's like it never existed. I need to confirm the method of purchase with someone at Adobe (I'm fairly confident it was online). I looked back through my old emails but couldn't find any confirmation or serial number either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you got an 80% discount - which Adobe never gave, and therefore nobody could afford to legitimately give you, it's a very big red flag (much better than even) that a scammer sold you a pirate copy, and never paid Adobe a cent. Even after many years, Adobe are finding these and shutting them down. So maybe you're seeing that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would a scammer, after taking the money, actually give me ~20 production-grade software applications?

I like the lateral thinking hahaha but this was a legitimate purchase.

How do you know Adobe never gave this kind of discount?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SaltDog 

you're getting side-tracked into arguments with other users that are not going to help you install and activate cs6.  if you want to do that, feel free.

among your arguments with other users i saw some information that may be helpful towards installation/activation:

"the software is now inaccessible".  what exactly do you mean by that, because the most common installation files are available to the public and your files should available via your vendor.  if your vendor was adobe, they are available via your account when purchased.  or if you purchased elsewhere (which seems to be the case), they are available on adobe if you registered your cs6 with adobe.

if you need something from adobe, contact adobe support.  be aware they may not be able to help other than saying they have no records of a purchase or registration under a particular user name.  ie, you need to know the user name utilized when purchasing/registering from/with adobe, if either was done. 

there are 3 ways to contact adobe; chat, phone and twitter:

chat:
use a browser that allows popups and cookies
and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

phone:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

twitter:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative. ie, double check for an employee badge if contacted in the forums and look for an adobe.com domain in the email address if you click reply to an email. then check again and be very suspicious. any other method of contacting (or offering to contact you) is almost certainly a scam, https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/staying-safe-in-the-adobe-support-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10+ year old obsolete software isn't worth 50 cents today.  Too much has changed.

Assuming you have a compatible computer OS, optical reader, original installation disks and a valid serial number, there's no reason I know of that you can't keep using CS6.

Failing that, it's time to replace your discontinued software. 

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements (no subscription needed).
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 12 months). Includes the following:

• Photoshop CC and Photoshop on iPad
  • Camera Raw
  • Lightroom on desktop, mobile and the web
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Portfolio website + hosting
  • Adobe Express (free starter plan)
  • Bridge
  • 20 GB cloud storage (upgradable to 1 TB).
  • Free upgrades for paid subscribers

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Premium Adobe Express ($10/month).

• Adobe Express app (web and mobile)
  • Premiere Rush (video editing on desktop and mobile)
  • Photoshop Express (mobile)
  • Spark Video (mobile)
  • Spark Page (mobile)
  • Adobe Portfolio + hosting
  • 100 GB of cloud storage
  • All premium templates and design assets including the collection of over 160 million royalty-free Adobe Stock photo collection.

https://helpx.adobe.com/express/using/express-overview.html

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + pro apps & services) and Single App Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea 

> 10+ year old obsolete software isn't worth 50 cents today.  Too much has changed.

I respectfully disagree. Logic that still solves an ongoing problem, meets a customer's needs and stands the test of time has value. Sure new product features will be released, but there are many critical pieces of software far older than 10yrs that still serve a purpose and run in production today (airlines, traffic control, government agencies, etc).

In my case, each of the ~20 applications I bought previously (left image) are nowAUD$30/month each, or AUD$700/year for all through the Creative Cloud subscription (and that's with a currently running 19% discount). 

SaltDog_1-1677496035074.jpegSaltDog_2-1677496200667.png

> Assuming you have a compatible computer OS, optical reader, original installation disks and a valid serial number, there's no reason I know of that you can't keep using CS6.

I still have the same Macbook Pro I use which had the Adobe Master Suite first installed. The laptop works fine yet the software is now inaccessible.

> Failing that, it's time to replace your discontinued software.

This appears to be the problem; discontinued software for which the rights to use were previously bought. Talk about a disappointing customer experience. I haven't had to return my old tennis racquets and they still work perfectly fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Failing that, it's time to replace your discontinued software.

This appears to be the problem; discontinued software for which the rights to use were previously bought. Talk about a disappointing customer experience. I haven't had to return my old tennis racquets and they still work perfectly fine

By @SaltDog

Oh, you can still use the software, as you still can use the tennis racquets, but don't expect the OEM to give you support on this.

Incidentally: Tennis racquets is maybe not the correct comparison. My wife has an old Mac computer where the repair costs a fortune, and she can't run current software on that machine. My car with approximately the same age can still ride the road. Don't compare what cannot be compared.

However, when I have recently tried to access and use some of these tools , I found I no longer have access to them.

What is the access that you have lost? CS6 still runs on the system where it was initially installed and activated. It is, even, still possible to activate on a supported system. There is simply no support any more, as this version is  been outdated for more than 10 years.

The article you referenced too is irrelevant to your problem. You can still install and activate CS6 on supported systems. That's it.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SaltDog 

I'm afraid none of us can turn back the clock on what came before.

If you try to use CS6 Flash (FLA) today, you'll be sorely disappointed because FLASH PLAYER and every browser that supported it is dead. Same goes for Shockwave (SWF).

Similarly, Dreamweaver CS6 is useless to modern site builders. Owing to how much has changed in 10+ years with web devices, browsers and server technologies, DW CS6 is not just unfit for use, it's a liability to use it now.  DO NOT USE.

Graphics & video have changed a lot too.  New file formats, better compression & encryption codecs,  improved meta data, plus a bevy of AI and non-AI assisted tools that make editing faster and more precise for digital content creators everywhere.

Don't believe me?  Try Creative Cloud free for 7 days.

If you like it, great.  If not, no worries. Cancel within 14 days of joining and owe nothing.  Whatever you decide, best of luck.

===============

Creative Cloud System Requirements

-https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

How do I Cancel my Subscription?
https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html

Subscription & Cancellation Terms:
https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is still powerful software. However, computing is a bit different than a lot of consumer markets because it is still changing and evolving so fast.

Everyone commenting here is a volunteer, we are here to help other users. We are well aware of all the arguments pro and con about older software. However, we cannot change Adobe's decisions or the progress of computing.

Adobe has made a business choice to discontinue support for older titles. This is, for better or worse, the norm in the industry.

We can offer advice but for technical issues, you are mostly on your own. You could hire a tech locally but they may not be able to make things work, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea 

> 10+ year old obsolete software isn't worth 50 cents today.  Too much has changed.

I respectfully disagree. Logic that still solves an ongoing problem, meets a customer's needs and stands the test of time has value. Sure new product features will be released, but there are many critical pieces of software far older than 10yrs that still serve a purpose and run in production today (airlines, traffic control, government agencies, etc).

By @SaltDog

Quote:

On a call with employees Monday, Southwest Chief Operating Officer Andrew Watterson explained that the company’s outdated scheduling software quickly became the main culprit of the cancellations once the storm cleared, according to a transcript of the call that was obtained by CNN from an aviation source.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/27/business/southwest-airlines-service-meltdown/index.html

This is apparently the airline software you are referring to?

And yes: Some defence systems still use 8-inch floppy drives. But that's a different story, they don't cost less than $500, and they are actively maintained.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Based on transportation safety reports, the rail breaks used by majority of US railroads are Civil War-era technology (1860s). 

Just ask East Palestine, Ohio residents how that's worked out for them as they attempt to recover from the train derailment that caused a catastrophic toxic chemical spill to their area.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64788674

Likewise, civil air traffic control systems are woefully outdated.  They require sweeping upgrades away from 1960's-70's-era technologies to cope with modern air travel demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>purchased it online for ~80% off

The only LEGAL way to get that discount was to buy the special Education version... when I worked at a University I bought the $2800 MC CS5 for $600 which of course required providing proof to be able to buy... if you did not have to provide education proof you were sold an illegal version and by now Adobe will have 'most likely' blocked your serial number so you will no longer be able to activate

If Education is what you have your serial number will not work with the regular version, it will only work with your original DVD or download

But, try this...

Go here for all older links https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-direct-download-links.html
Prodesigntools is an official Adobe partner, and the links go to Adobe, not a 3rd party site

IF you do find a download, be sure to copy it to AT LEAST one external device
you should ALWAYS keep a copy (or two!) on an external device
since Adobe DOES SOMETIMES REMOVE OLD VERSIONS FROM THE SERVER
a usb flash drive or external hard drive, or write to a CD or DVD
plus a text file containing your serial number if you have a serial number program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines