• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Personal Info - Adobe Registration

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has become oppressive and dictatorial.  I will not give them another penny.

Awhile back I bought a copy of Photoshop Elements, about $69 at the time.  Of course, I gave them lots of personal information to download it.  After I downloaded it, I had to register to activate it.  Again, I had to cough up all my personal information including, this time, my age.

I'm not sensitive about my age, but I didn't think Adobe needed my age to function.  And it was none of their business.

The registration dialog wouldn't close with a blank field, so I entered ZERO.  I was immediately kicked out of registration and prevented from starting it up again.  I was prevented from registering and using the product EVEN AFTER I PAID FOR IT!

Fortunately, I was able to find the "human being" number and they got me fixed up, with no personal information.

Adobe has no right to that personal information.

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default, I am sorry, but we need to verify that the individual is at least 13 years old to function in most countries.  Next time you log in, you will be allowed to submit your age again, it doesn't need to be completely accurate, but if you are an adult, I would recommend choosing an age that meets that requirement for your country.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I think one of us mighty confused.

You aren't referring to my account on the Adobe Support Community, are you?

My original message was concerned with the time I was activating my new copy of Adobe Elements using a dialog box supplied by Adobe.  There was no "logging in" or direct use of the Internet.

To comply with COPPA, you can't just shut people off because you don't know their age.  That's breaking one law to comply with another.  (Doesn't the fact that I have a credit card say anything about my age?) 

Are we agreed that some 13 year olds are able to use Adobe Elements productively?

In the event where the registrant's age is uncertain, there are two ways to stay legit all around:
1) software guided phone-in registration

2) don't collect all that personal information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default, part of the registration process, is to verify that an individual is old enough to be allowed to access the software title or service.  As previously discussed, if you wish to access Adobe services, then we do need a date of birth to be associated with the account.

My response has nothing to do with the account you used to post to this public discussion forum.

If you have additional questions, you are welcome to begin a secure chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer is circular,

COPPA doesn't forbid the sale of software to <13 year olds, it prohibits the storage of their personal information.

Maybe, of course, Adobe needs certain personal info to support their "cloud" apps. Therefore, some software can not be sold to children.

Adobe Elements is not a cloud app, however, so I am adamant about my objections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Registration is separate from activation, and the records are kept separately. As previously discussed, we need to know a person's age to register a software title or provide services.  The age may vary depending upon the country that the software title or service is being provided in.

If you have any additional specific concerns about the registration process, I will encourage you to begin a secure chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen so that your concerns may be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can only enter into a contract with a person of legal age. Hence they are legally obliged to check your age, as I understand it, and to reject people who are too young. This is nothing to do with whether they can run it or make use of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines