• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop download location settings?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resently started paying for access to Adobe Photoshop, but am experiensing trouble downloading the program. Originally there was not enough space on my PC, so I used my external WD backup disk for the download. Later I cleaned up the content of my PC, making room for the program.

• Firstly I copied Photoshop from the external disk and installed it on the PC (afterwards deleting it on the disk). The result being that Adobe Creative Cloud desktop insisted that I now needed to download Photoshop and that the Tips&Tricks e-mails could not connect to the program.
  • Secondly I deleted Photoshop on my PC and tried to follow the installation procedure from the Adobe desktop from the beginning, thinking this will reconnect the program with the register and connections from Adobe.

The result: The download fails at 10% and an error message 176 is displayed saying that it cannot download to a network station and that I should choose another location. I suspect that the setup is trying to download the program to the inital location on the external disk (which is disconnected). NB: I am not given a choice where to download when clicking the button.

The dilemma: How can I change the settings for this download to the Programs/Adobe-folder on my PC making the program respond correctly?

Moderator, moving to Download and Install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

you created a complication: never copy programs onto a pc or mac whether adobe's or another company's.  executable programs should be properly installed with an installer.  (you can copy many other file types without problem).

also, even if you're properly installing onto a non-c drive, you'll need about 1 to 5 gb per adobe programs and 1 to 5 gb for the cc desktop app.  assuming you have enough c drive space:

try each step below. if you are unable to accomplish the task, move to the next st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Thank you for your explanation and the -to-do list. My technical knowledgeis somewhat limited but I think there should be a simpler solution to this.
By @Mads1

I think you should do as @kglad suggested: clean-up the mess and start again with a clean installation. The problems you describe let me assume, that you completely messed up the installation and confused the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

I think you should do as @kglad suggested: clean-up the mess and start again with a clean installation.

I agree.

Also:

If you haven't enough free space on your system drive for temp and system files, even if it does install, you may have performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you created a complication: never copy programs onto a pc or mac whether adobe's or another company's.  executable programs should be properly installed with an installer.  (you can copy many other file types without problem).

also, even if you're properly installing onto a non-c drive, you'll need about 1 to 5 gb per adobe programs and 1 to 5 gb for the cc desktop app.  assuming you have enough c drive space:

try each step below. if you are unable to accomplish the task, move to the next step.

uninstall every cc app including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

check for, and if available, update your os

repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired.

update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated

restart your computer (don't skip this)

reinstall the cc desktop app, https://creativecloud.adobe.com/apps/all/desktop?action=install&source=apps&productId=creative-cloud

if you're unable to download the cc desktop app at this stage, use the "alternative download links" at the bottom of the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

change the install location for your apps: open the cc app click file>preferences>apps>and change the install location (to a non-root folder on a local hard drive).

install your apps and trials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanation and the -to-do list. My technical knowledge
is somewhat limited but I think there should be a simpler solution to this.
Some facts first:

1. I have not copied the program in any way, but used the correct
installment method presented on the Creative Cloud Desktop
2. Photoshop does not initially appear on the list of installed programs
(WD disk disconnected
3. When reconnecting to the external WD disk I am allowed to click
Install PS, which then performs the setup smoothly and adds Photoshop to my
list of installed programs.
4. My aim however is to install the program on my PC along with the
other Adobe programs, making the program respond quicker and work
independently without having to connect to the disc
5. The Install-button seems determined to install PS on WD My Book (E).
When this is *connected *(containing PS alleredy or not) the
installation runs without problems.
If the external WD disk is *disconnected *the installation starts
without any question of where I want to install the program and terminates
after running 10%.

How do I redirect the installation to my Program/Adobe folder on my PC?
Do I really have to go through the extensive process described?

*PS:* Photoshop runs normally when installed on the separate disk, but
is slow and not where I want it to be located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't install onto an external drive, if that's what you're trying to do.  you must install onto the non-root of an internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanation and the -to-do list. My technical knowledgeis somewhat limited but I think there should be a simpler solution to this.
By @Mads1

I think you should do as @kglad suggested: clean-up the mess and start again with a clean installation. The problems you describe let me assume, that you completely messed up the installation and confused the system.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should do as @kglad suggested: clean-up the mess and start again with a clean installation.

I agree.

Also:

If you haven't enough free space on your system drive for temp and system files, even if it does install, you may have performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the feedback. Using the correct install/uninstall-tools and clearing enough space for the program gave a successful new insallation and a fully functioning program. Grateful for your help everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

good to hear, and you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines