• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open files

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop. I did not use the program for several months, fine last time I opened it. I kept it updated, now on 22.4.3.317.

On trying to open a file I get the usual tools on the left of screen, adjustments etc on the right. The file might appear as the usual thumbnail on the right but won't open in the workspace. Or I get a blsack rectangle with a white border in the workspace. 

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Before you reinstall Photoshop I would try to deactivate the GPU support.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#DisableGraphicsProcessor

Please see also here and check the appropriate steps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#DisableGraphicsProcessor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step I would reset the Photoshop preferences. 

Quti Photoshop

Hold down the following keyboard shortcut and start Photoshop:

• macOS: command + option + shift

Windows: ctrl + alt + shift

When Photoshop open a dialog is shown that asks "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Click on Yes

See also here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences 

If this doesn't help we need more informations about your environment.  

• Which operating system do you use?  

Please post the exact version and not only phrases as "recent", "latest" and so on.  

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the Preferences reset and turned off the computer. Restarted later and opened PS. A previously troublesome file opened and I could edit. Then PS froze and I had to turn off the computer. Should I uninstall PS and make a new start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you reinstall Photoshop I would try to deactivate the GPU support.

Please see also here and check the appropriate steps:

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Axel, the clue I needed.

If it helps anyone else a description. I have an AMD card, Radeon. AMD provide an app that will check your system and download an update on request. First effort failed at about 95% completion as Windows 10 disabled the installation. AMD has a suggestion for that involving going into Windows System properties and disabling driver installation on start-up. Windows requests a driver for the card. Then the AMD app works.

When I next opened PS I could edit and Save files as usual except when I pressed Shift-Control-E to merge visible layers it opened a Radeon settings dialogue. I could merge files, Save them and Close files via the Files etc menus.

Examination showed Shift-Control-E is also a Radeon keyboard shortcut that toggles video recording on and off. I have disabled all Radeon shortcuts and some other settings, next check is if PS still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you trid what Axel recommeded? 

I tried and work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines