• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Privacy concerns related to amount of services and amount of calls beind done in background

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe community,

I would like to discuss this with more experienced members around here. As privacy concerns are raising around the world this might be an issue for some people more than for other.

Using macOS Big Sur and latest Adobe cloud and apps on Intel based macbook pro.

Problem is following - when I am not actively using any Adobe apps, I keep every app, incuding Creative Cloud, swithced off (meaning not running). I am fine with apps calling adobe services online when I am using apps, but when I am not using them, I would expect everything to be off (or at leat mostly off).

What I am experiencing on the other side, just in 10minutes of time, while none of Adobe apps are running, bunch of Adobe servers are being called from various servervices. And it keeps going forever as long as computer is on.

I've contacted support and they said that they need "some services" running to make sure that lincense are ok etc, they were very kind helping me to switch of some automatic updates via Creative Cloud app, and explained that others have to run. Would be fine with me when at least some apps are running, but it's constantly ongoing process.

Screenshot attached

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 14.55.46.png

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Justas

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15 minutes later (still no Adobe app was launched)

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 15.27.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wza, thanks for your concern. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html for information about what the Adobe Creative Cloud related background processes are doing.  You can also find a complete list of the servers necessary to use the apps and services included with an individual membership at https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/network-endpoints.html.

Please look into a Creative Cloud for Enterprise or Team membership if you want to restrict access to servers or services.  Both memberships provide additional flexibility regarding server access and disabling services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand we can't take it very general, as there are too many services to take it all together at once. Lets take Adobe Desktop Service, it says in the link provided  (quote):

Adobe Desktop Service

Adobe Desktop Service is the core of the Creative Cloud apps and keeps them running. It is responsible for fetching and processing critical information such as the licenses that you have, apps available in your subscription, and updates required.

So, what is so critical to keep calling every few minutes more than 10 different urls and more than 30 different IP addresses? I don't get it. Just in case my lincese expires in next  5minutes while I am not using any Adobe apps? (excuse my sarcasm please. just want to paint a picture)

You might think I am picky, but I think this might need a reviewed to make sure people don't start getting paranoid, like it happened with some social services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wza, for more information on privacy concerns, please see https://www.adobe.com/trust/security.html.

If you have additional questions about the Creative Cloud desktop app's functions and the included components, please begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.  I would also recommend bookmarking https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/customer-support-portal.html which shows the process for reviewing any active support cases.  The type of questions you are asking will likely need to be escalated to our engineering team for a possible response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reffering me. I previously tried support, but it took ages and agent did not provide lasting solution. This time I was suggested to kill following processes via terminal or System Monitor:

Creative Cloud
CCXProcess
CCLibrary
CoreSync helper
Adobe IPC Broker
armsvc
AGS Service

If I will atempt to open creative cloud all these services should startup again.

I will be testing it out in next couple of days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it work? Twice I tried switching off services and ended up having to log into adobe every time it was opened and needed to reinstall and uninstall. Uninstalling creative cloud was an improvement.

I agree with your comments. Adobe is not malicious but you need a lot of faith in their competence not to worry that the software might create vulnerabiltiies. Do we just assume adobe software engineers are better than Microsoft for example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I failed creating script on my own - took to much time. But later I found this guy and his solution - works like a charm. If you're have admin rights, its exactly as described, while if you are a standart user, you will have to switch to user with admin rights before running the commend: su <admin_username>

How to make sure app is not running in the background on macOS 

I just start up my machine and run the script - it kill bunch of adobe apps. If you start any adobe product, it starts up some required processes and works fine. After closing adobe apps you again have to run the scrip to kill any left over processes. Works great for me.

Let me know if you have any trouble, I would be happy to help.

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines