Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

storage issues & drives

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm running out of storage an my computer to a point where i can't open photoshop anymore because my startup disk is full. 

I was wondering if there is any ways to essentially make my external hardrive ( Lacie 2 TB) an output for everything I do on adobe creative suite. 

I don't want to have to sweep my computer for storage spoace everytime I am done with a big project. I can probably run the starup of the apps off my laptop (mac book pro, Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) but for anything saved, my clipboard, history and everything else whhile the apps are running would be sent to my external hardrive. 

Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks a bunch 🙂 

TOPICS
CC FAQ , Creative Cloud , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

"You will, however, have to update the setting in Each app to make it use the new disk for scratch space, media cache etc. etc."... "and so how do I update that setting? just file, save as to a folder that I create in my external hardrive? "

No. These are not files you save. But they are huge: tens or hundreds of gigabytes, or even more for serious video work. You need to know about the setting, know how to set them, and do what you need to do. To give just one example, Photoshop Scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!

you can (and i recommend should) use a non-c drive for your production files from all your programs (adobe's and other software companies).  just use file>save as and navigate to that non-c drive, create folders for each program (maybe even an adobe folder with a subfolder for each adobe program and subfolders of each program folder for each project).

there are a number of benefits of doing this:

1. increase your c drive space for executables (which you already know)

2. easy to move your production files from one computer to another (allowing fresh program installs on new computers)

3. easy to back up your production files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will, however, have to update the setting in Each app to make it use the new disk for scratch space, media cache etc. etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and so how do I update that setting? 

just file, save as to a folder that I create in my external hardrive? 

I just want to make sure scratch space, media cache, etc are also saved on there; not just my saved documetns. 

I want to use adobe cc and my ext. hard drive concurently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"You will, however, have to update the setting in Each app to make it use the new disk for scratch space, media cache etc. etc."... "and so how do I update that setting? just file, save as to a folder that I create in my external hardrive? "

No. These are not files you save. But they are huge: tens or hundreds of gigabytes, or even more for serious video work. You need to know about the setting, know how to set them, and do what you need to do. To give just one example, Photoshop Scratch disk. To set this you go into Photoshop preferences as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are so short on space like that, you may find that the computer will start slowing down.

I suggest that you get a larger internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Remove non-essential software from your primary HD.

2. Save work & data files to external drives thus freeing up precious primary HD space.  

3. Use external drives for Photoshop scratch disk.

Recommended system for Photoshop

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recomm...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines