• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update vs Upgrade: Come on, Adobe, you know better than that...

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I "updated" my CC apps like a good user, which I honestly expected to be the usual patches that Adobe releases periodically as "updates". So, today I tried to launch Photoshop from my dock (I'm on a Mac) and nothing happened. I then noticed there was a question mark on the dock icon, which usually happens when the OS doesn't know where an app lives on my hard drive. So, I'm realizing now that what happened yesterday is that the Adobe CC application didn't "update" my existing apps (2017 versions of Ps, Ai, Id); rather, it UPGRADED them to a new version (2018)!

So, today's tasks include uninstalling these new apps and reinstalling the 2017 versions. Not exactly what I would call a productive morning so far...

Adobe, please change the wording within Adobe CC when releasing major changes like 2017-to-2018. I need to do research on the changes that are a part of upgrades like this, to ensure that the existing AppleScripts and actions don't break.

Am I the only one who feels this way? If so, sorry for the unwarranted rant...

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

i'm not saying you have no point..., but when you start to install a major version upgrade you can select advanced options and elect to save installed old versions.

(and yes, this is not clear when ungrading.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not saying you have no point..., but when you start to install a major version upgrade you can select advanced options and elect to save installed old versions.

(and yes, this is not clear when ungrading.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you're right, and I probably did gloss over that when clicking through the update screens it presented me. *doh*

I probably should have paid better attention to the "update" process. Bleh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it should be more obvious when upgrading.  unless you're aware to watch out when upgrading (major upgrades only) and consciously look for the option, it's easier to miss it than notice it (imo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2022, and nothing has changed. The update/upgrade distinction is still unclear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well, once you've seen a few you'll start to realize that major version upgrades occur ~adobe max (ie, october)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines