• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warning: Updating Creative Cloud Desktop Changed My Preferences, Deleted Old Versions of CC Apps

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the Creative Cloud Desktop app on November 22nd and left my W10 PC running for several hours unattended.

After updating, CCD independently decided that my preferences should be reset and that all my Adobe apps should be updated and that any older apps should be removed. Since I keep old versions to ensure compatibility with certain plug-ins and projects, I was not pleased to discover this.

If you value older versions of CC, babysit your computer when CCD wants to update. Also, note that the first two levels of Adobe customer support only can provide a few specific versions of older software and none of the patches! They might even claim that Adobe doesn't archive any of their code, neat!

I will update this post when and if I recieve any form of resolution.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StereoTypo,

This is the first and ONLY time I've seen a complaint such as yours.

The option to Auto update apps is one I don't use.  It's turned off in my CC Desktop app preferences.  That said, I've been using Creative Cloud since 2012 and preferences have never randomly reset as you describe.  Are you sure you didn't get a whole new operating system?  It's conceivable that a new OS might wipe out your old system preferences.  I don't know as I don't change operating systems until I buy a new computer.

Pro Design Tools' website has links to direct downloads of older CC versions.  These are safe.  The site is run by an Adobe Community Professional.  Be sure to follow the VERY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS though or it won't work.  Keep in mind, that old software won't work on Win 11 or Mac Monterey.

Hope that helps. 😇

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No OS change or even a windows update. Auto-Update was definitely off and the only change was that I finally updated my Creative Cloud Desktop from Version 5.5.0.617 to Version 5.6.0.788. I disabled Auto-Update again and will now do app backups prior to babysitting any Creative Cloud Desktop updates.

In case any other W10 user is affected, the only way I know what I've lost is from searching through project file metadata and the windows registry (with regedit.exe).

For reference all the prior installed versions are logged in  "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\CommonFiles\CRLog\ProductPreferences"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misspoke, "Auto-update" was on but "Remove older versions" was unchecked prior to updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be in accordance with the Preferences set in the Cloud Desktop app. You can uncheck that and keep your old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've said elsewhere on this post, all relevant apps had "Remove older versions" unchecked prior to updating Creative Cloud Desktop from Version 5.5.0.617 to Version 5.6.0.788

In the wake of losing all my older versions, I have disabled Auto-update entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and that any older apps should be removed.

That would be in accordance with the Preferences set in the Cloud Desktop app. You can uncheck that and keep your old versions.

JohnWaller_0-1637967713720.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All relevant apps had "Remove older versions" unchecked prior to updating Creative Cloud Desktop from Version 5.5.0.617 to Version 5.6.0.788

In the wake of losing all my older versions, I have disabled Auto-update entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All relevant apps had "Remove older versions" unchecked prior to updating Creative Cloud Desktop from Version 5.5.0.617 to Version 5.6.0.788

That's a first for me. I have never had any apps uninstalled while the box was unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EVERY SINGLE TIME I do updates, I get a popup wanting to remove old versions. I wish they would leave my settings the way I have them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The real issue is I didn't even see a pop-up, it just did it when I wasn't at my computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines