• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10: Creative Cloud App Breaks File Explorer (Since Update around April 2018)

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I can't believe I'm the only person with this issue: Since the April Win 10 update, I've been having extreme problems with Creative Cloud app on Windows 10.

I went so far as to do a "Fresh Start" install on my system. What I've discovered is that the Win 10 Creative Cloud app causes the Windows 10 File Explorer to display the "green bar of doom" whenever you try to do a file system operation. 

What's the solution to this?  (At present, it looks to me like Adobe needs to update Creative Cloud app. But I "could" be wrong...)

In case this doesn't make sense:

1. Starting with an entirely fresh install of the latest Windows 10 (with MAY update)...

2. Things work fine...

3. Until... One installs Adobe Creative Cloud...

4. And then, when one opens the File Explorer, everything is more or less broken...

5. One gets the "green bar of doom" forever and one can never see/interact with ones files.

It's been this way for me since April Win 10 update.

And, as I explained above, this is clearly because of the Creative Cloud app.  (If I fresh install Win 10 and then install all my apps, all is well with File Explorer. Issue manifests as soon as Creative Cloud is installed. Disabling Creative Cloud on startup solves the issue.  But, as a Creative Cloud user, of course I need Creative Cloud installed.)

Halp, Adobe???

Best,

Keith

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS, do not tell me to rebuild a broken icon cache or some junk like that.  There's nothing wrong with my file explorer. The problem is with Adobe Creative Cloud app... or its interaction with ... SOMETHING... But all I have installed is: (1) Windows 10 with latest updates (2) Steam (3) Microsoft Office (4) Nvidia Geforce experience (5) the other junk that Windows might install by default (6) Creative Cloud and several Creative Cloud apps including Acrobot DC, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects.

Truly maddening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I have never seen that issue. Have you verified your system meets or exceeds the specs for Adobe CC?
Have you updated all drivers?

Do you still see the issue when you reboot your computer?

Could you show us the green bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is useless advice.

It's broken Explorer previews in Win 10 Pro 2004.

Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem.  Have you figured anything out since your post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm here two years after the OP just to report having a similar issue in 2020. After a broken instalation of Creative Cloud the program asks me to run another instalation to fix it every time I start my computer (tried it, didn't fix anything). After said message pops up, file exporer stops working altogether.

Will remove anyting that says Adobe from the computer and clean the registry to see if it fixes something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? Thanks!

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had pretty much the same problem and narrowed it down to when the File syncing (and/or CoreSync.exe) is running.

I contacted Adobe support and they told me to reinstall the whole thing but still it doesn't work. This needs to be fixed ASAP as it's making my life more difficult and my work take longer. Otherwise I'll have to uninstall Creative Cloud until they're sorted themselves out. Which we have no idea how long that will be for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem for about a year now. I didn't realize until recently it was Creative Cloud; I did a lot of Windows troubleshooting first.. eventually formatted my computer which didn't help, and then bought a new computer which also had the same issue. When I close CoreSync in Task Manager, my icons appear again, but then they disappear again shortly. Then if I close Creative Cloud in Task Manager, they appear once again and stay present. I waste a lot of time dealing with this issue daily. I really hope someone looks into this one day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've copied and pasted this from a comment I made earlier in this thred. I've had a chat with a support agent. We THINK my problem with this is because I keep the Creative Cloud folder synced on a SSD that is SEPERATE from the SSD that the Operating System and Creative Cloud App is installed in.

i.e. The OS, CC and CC sync destination all need to be on the same SSD/HDD (C:/) Hope that makes sense. Have a go yourself and see if that fixes the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm following up again. When I was having this issue I was keeping the designated CC sync destination folder in a different HDD to where my CC programmes were installed (the support agent told me it wasn't designed to do that, i.e. it'll be buggy as sh*t if you do that).

SO, what I've done is installed a new SSD (1tb) as my C drive so when Creative Cloud syncs my company's files to the PC, it's in a whopping great 1TB SSD so it fits all my programmes AND the CC cloud sync files. Everything has been running MUCH better now. The file explorer does freeze up, but only for like a minute and only once or twice a month.

From my eyes, the problem is when you can't fit all your CC programmes AND the CC cloud files synced to your main (C:/ drive) then you start to get the file explorer problems. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If this is indeed a requirement to make it work, that's a bug and must be fixed.  You never want your data and OS on the same drive if you have the physical option not to.  There is no logical reason this should cause a problem, drive letters and media are abstracted from the application layer.  Also, you say the explorer still "freezes up" but only for like a minute?  Nope. Still not good. From a programmatic viewpoint, this workaround makes no sense. Software is supposed to work for you, not the other way around. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem, i have an old version of windows 10 since i have auto updates turned off because my computer is a bit old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a chat with a support agent. We THINK my problem with this is because I keep the Creative Cloud folder synced on a SSD SEPERATE from the SSD that the Operating System and Creative Cloud App is installed in.

i.e. The OS, CC and CC sync destination all need to be on the same SSD/HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here in 2022, on a brand new computer i just built last week. installed photo shop, and immediately got the issues I have been having for 2 years now since getting CC from my work. it hoses up explorer.exe. I also (like a lot of people who use these tools, which means it should be supported) keep my cloud sync drives, and everything I can, OFF THE C:\ OS drive. this time around i built with a 1TBSSD on the OS just to give stupid Photoshop a bit more space for itself, and I still have the issue. unexceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a 1TB SSD to fit all my CC programmes and cloud sync files on the main (C:/) drive and it's 99% fixed my issues. I may have read this wrong, but have you set your cloud sync to the C drive now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did the SAME thing, BUT I just noticed that - out of habit - i redirect all my Windows Known Folders (my documents, downloads, video etc etc ) to my 4tb D: drive. so... the creative cloud is still on a DIFFERENT drive. I too, purchased a 1TB SSD this time around but forgot to not redirect CC programs. I will try that today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try, when you note your File explorer freezing up again, is to go to task manager, select the details tab and find the "core sync.exe" and end the task. That's what stopped the error happening for me (until the auto sync start would kick in again). I'd check it before you switch the destination folder on the CC app, but no major drama if not ^^.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines