• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows File Associations -- 2023 Releases

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. Every single annual big update to the Creative Cloud apps brings an annoying problem. This time it's "failure to migrate file associations under Windows 11".

When I try to open an HEIC file, or a JPG file, or a PNG file -- which I was able to do pretty much since I first installed Photoshop on my system years ago -- I now get asked "What program do you want to use to open it?"

And, of course, the latest version of Photoshop (2023) does not show up on the list. Only the 2022 version does...sort of, since I cunningly uninstalled it after first launching the 2023 version, assuming that even Adobe's UI engineers would know of the need to migrate settings.

To make matters even worse, if I select the 2023 version manually -- by using "choose an app on your computer" and navigating to Photoshop.exe in the 2023 folder -- it does not "take". Instead, I am left at the "choose the app" dialog once again.

This is one of those times I think Adobe management ought to fire every single executive in charge of the platform-specific UI development and replace them with, oh, first year computer science students. Who would almost certainly do a better job.

In any event, how do I fix this?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

ok. it's up to you:

reset the cc desktop app: make sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, try to repair
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails go ahead and uninstall using the correct uninstaller from https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-messaging and then reinstall

if that fails, do a clean cc install following each applicable step:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it sounds like an os problem. eg, there's nothing on adobe's end that would cause a file association setting  to fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps. But it's never happened before, and, more importantly, if it is an OS problem it "merely" highlights that Adobe's testing regimen -- since Windows 10/11 is a non-trivial part of their market -- leaves something to be desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. it's up to you:

reset the cc desktop app: make sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, try to repair
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails go ahead and uninstall using the correct uninstaller from https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes... and then reinstall

if that fails, do a clean cc install following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

check for, and if available, update your os

repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired.

update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated

restart your computer (don't skip this)

reinstall the cc desktop app, https://creativecloud.adobe.com/apps/all/desktop?action=install&source=apps&productId=creative-cloud

if you're unable to download the cc desktop app at this stage, use the "alternative download links" at the bottom of the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the detailed instructions, but the only one I'm willing to try is the first one. The rest are tantamount to "uninstall everything and reinstall it". Which I could do, but is a lot more work than I have time for...or which I should have to do.

FWIW, the first step did not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm marking this as the correct answer. Because I think it is, although I was mucking around with several other approaches while implementing the first step highlighted here.

Essentially what this boils down to is:

1) Running the Creative Cloud app (in the foreground) and reseting it via ctrl-alt-R

2) Rebooting the computer

Step 2 is important, because after doing just step 1 nothing had changed. But once I rebooted, I was able to start selecting the new 2023 apps from within Windows' file association dialog and have them "stick".

Now, it's possible something else I did before rebooting was important, too. But I don't think so, because all I did was change a bunch of registry entries to point at the correct/new Photoshop app. And since reseting Creative Cloud and rebooting allowed me to assign >>all<< of the new Adobe apps to their respective file extensions, not just Photoshop, I'm pretty sure the reset/reboot was the solution.

I did have to re-assign all the file associations to the new 2023 apps through the Windows file association dialog. A PITA, but at least it got me back to a useful system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chairmanmao,

File associations are a Windows problem.  I had the same issue after a recent Windows Update.  NOTE: not a Creative Cloud update, a Windows update.

Windows has an annoying habit of setting the default image app to Windows Paint which I never, ever use.  After Windows updates, I usually have to re-associate all my image files to more appropriate apps.  Again it's a Windows problem that MS needs to fix along with a few others.

If file association preferences don't stick, that implies you have a permissions problem.  Try creating a new computer User account with administrative permissions.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm willing to believe you might have run into a Windows problem, Nancy, but mine was not. My problem only occurred after doing a Creative Cloud update.

Also, your comment about things not sticking being the result of a permissions problem is not correct. Because I didn't change any permissions and the "not being able to stick" problem went away after I reset Creative Cloud and rebooted.

I'm sorry you've run into problems with Windows mucking up your file associations. I've never run into that, but I would definitely complain to Microsoft about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

welll, glad you made progress however that occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines