• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Activation issues [CS3 is dead]

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was enquiring about CS activation on a thread yesterday and received some helpful replies but that thread has been locked now, maybe because it's old? My issue relates to an Adobe CS Design Suite that I have running on a Win7 machine and which serves my occasional needs quite well. I'm upgrading to a new desktop system.  The software maybe 12 years old and not supported with updates but it's testiment to it's robustness and reliability that it continues to serve my basic needs. I had upgraded from previous suites at c€1000 per upgrade and would happily do again if same were available in the interim. The alternative subscription model will cost me c€600 annually here in Ireland (about half that in USA). Which is unsustainable for my more irregular use.

The point is that product activation was 'sold' to the public as a means for software vendors to prevent theft & illegal installations. Which is entirely fair & correct. It was not understood as a means for software vendors to prevent legitimate customers from using older software. If Adobe use a procedure like product activation, that's fine but IMHO they then have a moral (& possibly legal) obligation to continue to provide product activation.

It's not good enough. 

TOPICS
Activation , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

I'm really sorry for your situation, but you need to face it: It's more and more difficult to run older software on newer hardware and OS.

Activation servers also get in an obsolete state and get switched off. For some time, Adobe offered special preactivated software with a special serial number, but that window too closed years ago. I think that anything below CS4 cannot be activated anymore.

Running older software on new hardware leads to a bunch of problems. After 12 years I suppose that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

CS3 and earlier are now completely dead products

You need to find something else if you do not want a subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

You cannot re-install CS3.  You cannot activate CS3 because the servers are gone. And Adobe pulled the plug on replacement installers and serial numbers.  So CS3 is officially dead and gone.

OPTIONS:
Photoshop or Premier Elements 2020 (approx $100, no subscription needed)
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 1 year subscription)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps Plan (31 + apps & service

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really sorry for your situation, but you need to face it: It's more and more difficult to run older software on newer hardware and OS.

Activation servers also get in an obsolete state and get switched off. For some time, Adobe offered special preactivated software with a special serial number, but that window too closed years ago. I think that anything below CS4 cannot be activated anymore.

Running older software on new hardware leads to a bunch of problems. After 12 years I suppose that any legal obligation of Adobe has vanished. Unfortunately Adobe has changed the business model from paid software to a subscription model. As this model is quite similar in cost for the user, you pay in your case definitely more.

But for occasional needs there are monthly subscriptions available. That could be of help for you. And you could keep your current computer, put Windows 10 on it and hope that that works. Or you keep your current computer and just switch the internet connection of. Data transfers via USB are a little less comfortable but it is managable.

US prices and European prices are similar if you decount the change risk and consider taxes. In Europe prices are with taxes in the USA without taxes. But yes, there is a small premium to pay for Europe.

Upgrades where available at the time, but that window closed also with the subscription model.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'll just have to work around it somehow by a combination of above and/or using other software. It's a pity and I think Adobe have foregone a reasonably sizable part of their customer base. People who aren't full time graphic designers, professsional photographers, publishers and government departments/ universities etc. I'm a cartographer so whilst Adobe software is useful at times, it's not core. There's a solid cohort of smaller businesses who are happy to pay legally for software but who only use it on a more occassional basis. InDesign & it's predecessor PageMaker is a good example - I might have reason to use it for 2 to 3 new projects a year. I see there is the option of a monthly rental, but there are perhaps other solutions out there..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really solved. Just having to look for other solutions that are more practical in terms of cost and licensing. Pity as Adobe is good software but looks like they've turned their back on people who use their software on a less regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 and earlier are now completely dead products

You need to find something else if you do not want a subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems John, but hardly dead. The Creative Suite I purchased is running quite fine on the Win7 system it's currently installed on. Does everything I need it to do. It's not as if it's dysfunctional. Still good quality software that does what it says on the tin.

The issue is that Adobe are not facilitating their legitimate customers to continue to use the software they've purchased on other machines, as in my upgrade to a new desktop system.

But thankfully, there so seem to be other solutions out there that will fill the need 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Creative Suite I purchased is running quite fine on the Win7 system

As long as that computer keeps running, you will keep using the program... the problem will happen if you ever need to do a new install, which will not work because the activation servers are gone

If you don't already have "whole drive" backup software, you need to buy and use a program so you will be able to do a restore if you ever need to replace your hard drive

The product I bought and use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may not only restore the image over a messed up install, you may restore to a brand new drive in case of a hardware crash, and not have to re-install anything (it DOES have to be an identical drive)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers John, appreciate the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot re-install CS3.  You cannot activate CS3 because the servers are gone. And Adobe pulled the plug on replacement installers and serial numbers.  So CS3 is officially dead and gone.

OPTIONS:
Photoshop or Premier Elements 2020 (approx $100, no subscription needed)
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 1 year subscription)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps Plan (31 + apps & services)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

===========
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I understand that CS3 is dead and no longer able to activate. I've sadly just bought a new computer and transferred everything over and kept doing the "remind me later" and time ran out.  I'm now on a time crunch to update our website and need to get forms updated by April 26th, if I move to one of your suggestions will I have to recreate a website or will it work with what we already have?  I currently work with Dreamweaver? I'm sorry, I am not that familiar with everything as I was just assigned this role with a non profit I am a part of. TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HTML code is HTML code.  It can be edited in any version of Dreamweaver or another code editor.

If Dreamweaver is all you use, you can purchase a single app subscription.   See screenshot in US Dollars.  It's important to note that the higher priced Month-to-Month option allows you to cancel anytime without penalty.  That's a good option for short projects.  The Annual plan is a 1 year commitment and it renews automatically until you cancel.

https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Plan Options:  Annual or Month-to-MonthPlan Options: Annual or Month-to-Month

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines