Highlighted

Adobe Background Processes

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

We have seen numerous posts regarding the Adobe processes that run in the background. Queries like what do these processes mean, how much CPU speed do they need or are they important to run the Creative Cloud desktop app or not, have always been one of our frequently asked questions.

Our team has created a self-explanatory document for the same. This doc aims at answering all the above questions. 

Here is the link for the article: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html

Hope this is helpful! 

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about this. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

Topics

Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Background Processes

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

We have seen numerous posts regarding the Adobe processes that run in the background. Queries like what do these processes mean, how much CPU speed do they need or are they important to run the Creative Cloud desktop app or not, have always been one of our frequently asked questions.

Our team has created a self-explanatory document for the same. This doc aims at answering all the above questions. 

Here is the link for the article: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/adobe-background-processes.html

Hope this is helpful! 

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about this. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

Topics

Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 14, 2020 2
181 Replies 181
Explorer ,
May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "Adobe Desktop Service" and why is it using 100% of one of my CPUs 24 hrs a day? It's taking almost a gigabyte of RAM, too! And why does it just relaunch itself when I force-quit the process? It's behaving like a virus. Incidentally, I'm using a MacPro running Yosemite 10.10.3.

Thanks,

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2015 8
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the product that you are using, please confirm.

Regards

Rajshree

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2015 1
Explorer ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use many Adobe products available from CC, mainly InDesign, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom, and Dreamweaver, although periodically Premiere, Audition, and Muse, too, and I use Acrobat Pro quite a bit, as well; however, this problem happens when I'm not using any Adobe products and even when no Adobe apps are open (except perhaps the CC menubar app).

Thanks,

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 1
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is 192mb use of RAM all the time normal? Eventhough I'm not running any adobe products?

CPU usage is very little.

Should I just turn off Creative Cloud at start up as default?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever figured out other than uninstalling everything and reinstalling which I likely wont do 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to know why Adobe Desktop Service is using up nearly 2GB of RAM. I currently only have Acrobat open. I usually have Indesign CC and Photoshop CC open too. Regardless, a background service should not be using a large percentage of my available RAM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2015 10
Explorer ,
May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to quit the app (Adobe Desktop Services) for the past ten days and have had no ill effects. Any app that uses 2GB of RAM plus 100% of one of my CPUs 24/7 every day of the year when all it seems to do is check eight version numbers once an hour to determine if any Adobe software on my computer needs updating is, IMHO, poorly programmed, as well as being extremely arrogant in the way it monopolizes system resources. I hope Adobe will send an email notifying users when Adobe Desktop Services has been repaired, and they should post an announcement in this thread when that occurs, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2015 15
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly did you quit Adobe Desktop Services? I don't see it in my applications folder, but it is in my Activity Monitor all the time... thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Adobe...  Wouldn't necromance this except to say it's still an issue in 2020.  Stupid service is using 3.18GB of memory on my system, which is well above (3x) any other item on the computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2020 2
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, using 3,29 GB of memory! Can you somehow kill it without affecting operation of the programs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

search for "launchAgents" in finder and delete everything related to adobe; it should work

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem.

I have zero Adobe programs open, but Adobe Desktop Service is using 100% of one of my cores constantly for hours.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2015 3
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on Mavericks with Adobe CC installed.

Force quitting the process and quitting the CC desktop app seems to have calmed the Adobe Desktop Service down for now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2015 4
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had similar problems with the following processes on OS X Yosemite  and CC 2015:

CCLibrary,

Adobe Desktop Service

Adobe Installer

At the very least, it would be good to know if these things are doing some kind of important tasks so I can kill them safely as needed. I haven't run out of memory yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2015 3
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Since this is an almost 4 week old thread, has anybody gotten any answers from Adobe on this? The lack of any response is truly bewildering for a profession product.

Thank you  for sharing.

Christoph

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2015 6
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, 6/29/2015, I launched the Creative Cloud menubar app for the first time since I started this thread. My intent was to update all my CC Apps to the SS 2015 versions. The first thing it did was update itself, but apparently, not to the latest version, which I understand to be Version 2.1.2.114 released on 6/24/2015. Instead, it brought me up to Version 2.1.1.110 released on 6/14/2015 and updated on 6/15/2015. I rebooted and all sorts of things, finally, as a last resort, I re-installed it. Nonetheless, all I get is the spinning wheel of forever, and again, my CPU being used 100% of the time. This app is not ready for primetime, and that's probably why there has been no feedback on my original question. I am now going to try the other solutions offered by Adobe here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-app-doesnt-open.html# and if I make any progress, I will report it here; otherwise, assume the result was SSDD.

--Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup to my previous post:

I spent 14 hours trying Adobe's solutions both in "safe mode" and "normal mode" without success. The final more than four hours were spent watching an Adobe Technical Support person take control of my MacPro (dual quad CPUs, 18 GB RAM, 2 GPUs, 6TB scratch) and perform ALL the steps I had been repeating for the previous ten hours another four or five times, even creating a brand new "user" and repeating the steps another two times, without getting any further than I did. During my attempts and those of Adobe tech support, we uninstalled and reinstalled the Creative Cloud App (menu bar interface to Adobe Desktop Service) well over a dozen times. After all this failed, we copied all the logs (using an Adobe app designed for that purpose) which allowed the techie to escalate the case.

Two hours later, I received a FORM LETTER (see copy below my signature) advising me that I might [emphasis mine, here and in the letter copied below] need to uninstall and reinstall all my Adobe Applications. Because I have more than two dozen Adobe apps, this process will take at least a week. As a full-time graphic designer and online professor of graphic design, the first full week I have open on my calendar is my Christmas break, 6 months from now. I guess they want me to give up my Christmas holiday for this, but I'm not likely to do this based upon the suggestion that this "MIGHT" work [capitalization and emphasis mine].

I face serious deadlines every day and every week, and I've been using all of Adobe since the day they came and in many cases, years before they were officially release. I know the whole system is fragile, and 30 years of experience with Adobe's products and their predecessors informs me that uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe software could have a detrimental upon projects that are currently in-progress. I certainly cannot afford that to happen.

I don't believe that the "escalation person" even looked at the logs. Because if those logs don't reveal which particular Adobe app is the culprit, then the person who wrote the logging routine was clearly not up to the task, and by the way, that is precisely how I feel about whoever wrote the Adobe Desktop Service that consumes 100% of one of my processors 24 / 7 / 365 (even when it is doing nothing) and often spills over into a second processor (to help it do nothing, I suppose).

This latest experience, starting with the Adobe Forum Monitors ignoring my own and many other users' similar questions about just this problem changes how I think about Adobe in a very big way, and I feel that a honest technology firm should waive my subscription fees until this matter is solved -- meaning "solved" in a manner that will not require me and my business and my students to lose a week or more of productivity.

--Chris

THE FOLLOWING IS ADOBE'S RESPONSE THAT MIGHT WORK

(If you have a week or two to risk your business on trying it)

Case Description:CC app spinning wheel

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical support.

This email is in reference to the access of Creative Cloud desktop which shows the blue spinning wheel on MAC OS X 10.10.3, I am glad to help you with this issue.

Christopher, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, it seems some of the files are corrupted which is causing the issue.

In order to resolve the issue, you need to perform the below instructions :

You might need to uninstall all the Adobe applications installed and need to rename the Adobe folders which may resolve the issue.

Please make sure that you have the serial numbers of the older version Adobe products installed on the system such as CS5, CS4 or CS3, so that you can uninstall (you can re-install those applications once we resolve the issue with Creative Cloud, you can use below link to download the older versions - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html)

You can retrieve the registered serial number under your Adobe account under 'My Products'. (http://www.adobe.com/)

Please follow below instructions to resolve the issue :

1. Please navigate to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers.

Under Adobe Installers, please uninstall all the Adobe applications installed along with Creative Cloud applications.

2. Please navigate to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

Launch Activity Monitor, click on View menu next to the Apple Icon andselect 'All Processes'

Then please end all the Adobe processes running in Activity Monitor.

3. Please press Command + Shift + G , in the Go to folder window, type ~/Library/Application Support/ , hit return.

Once the Application Support folder open, please right click on 'Adobe folder' and select 'Get Info' from the drop down menu.

In the Get Info window, rename Adobe as AdobeOLD.

Close Get Info window.

4. Please press Command + Shift + G , in the Go to folder window, type /Library/Application Support/ , hit return.

Once the Application Support folder open, please right click on 'Adobe folder' and select 'Get Info' from the drop down menu.

In the Get Info window, rename Adobe as AdobeOLD.

Close Get Info window.

5. Please press Command + Shift + G , in the Go to folder window, type ~/Library/Preferences ,hit return.

Rename Adobe folders.

6. Once you renamed the Adobe folders, click on below link to download Creative Cloud desktop.

https://ccmdls.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/KCCC/1/osx10/CreativeCloudInstaller.dmg

Once the set up complete the download, please run the set up and install Creative Cloud desktop.

Once the Creative Cloud desktop installed on the system, you can install and use Creative Cloud applications.

Note : As you work through, please update this case with the status along with your contact number and preferred time of contact, so that we can check and help you further, if you face any issues.

You can also contact us back via Live Chat using the following link : http://helpx.adobe.com/contact/index.html

We are available 24 hours, 7 days a Week.

Thank you.

Adobe Technical support.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 3
Contributor ,
Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS ADOBE, for giving us such polished, ready-to-use software at an incredibly affordable price  [/SARCASM]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2015 8
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issues. But the bigger issue is the silence from Adobe.

Shameful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2015 5
Contributor ,
Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That silence is GOLDEN!!!

CC software and CC 'customer service' has proven completely crappy. I have cancelled my CC subscription.

Still using some Adobe server software (for the moment) but this really doesn't bode well...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2015 5
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like at this point it's becoming a test. How long can it take before ANYBODY at Adobe can respond to a well documented issue on THEIR OWN forums. It's truly mindbogling and you guys are right, it's starting to speak volumes about Adobe's support. This is about the last straw for me as well. You can't release a professional product and then refuse professional support.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2015 4
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll join the party here. Same issue as the rest. It seems like there would be a simple answer to "What is this process and why does it take so much memory?"

Using iMac 2.7/8g running Yosemite, Creative Cloud CC with all the latest apps installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2015 3
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me keep the thread going by adding another complaint about this service. Running on a late 2013 Macbook pro with i5. Same problem as the rest.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2015 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this same issue for a couple months with no reason as to why it's occurring. I also wasn't able to uninstall and install any Adobe apps or programs on my own, although I could still use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. I called Adobe to help uninstall Creative Cloud and that solved nothing.

Today, I finally reached someone who knew what they were doing, and was able to solve my problem. He went in and uninstalled and deleted everything Adobe related (all hidden files, all downloads, anything that came from Adobe) on my computer, and then installed the Creative Cloud again from scratch. While this took quite a bit of time, it solved the Adobe Desktop Service problem along with the other issues I was having.

I am not sure if this will help any of you in this thread but I have been so frustrated with this same issue I thought I would share in hopes it can help someone!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2015 4
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello danielleb20815669

That's the problem. Because I teach Adobe products at a university and also run a design business, I have at least 20 Adobe apps installed. Doing what you said: "He went in and uninstalled and deleted everything Adobe related (all hidden files, all downloads, anything that came from Adobe)" would take much more time than I have to spare. I have wasted several dozen hours watching the Adobe Tech people in India take over my computer and do exactly what you describe, but for just one app. And this always happened right after I'd done precisely those same steps (see above). It never worked for me, and it never worked for any of the Adobe Tech support people, either. So they finally suggested the steps that solved your problem: uninstalling and/or deleting everything that was Adobe-related, including all hidden files, all downloads, any anything related to Adobe or CC, and even then, they could provide no guarantees that this would solve the problem. I can't waste days uninstalling 20+ Adobe apps and tracking down all their hidden files, based on a "maybe this will work" claim.

It appears to have worked for you. So that's encouraging. Could you provide your computer model and operating system version?

Thanks,

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2015 3
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Yes, having that many applications and the workload would make it much more time consuming and difficult for you to delete everything and re-install the programs. Super frustrating. I attached a screenshot of my computer specs. I have 500GB of storage. I hope this helps and you are able to resolve this! Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 12.52.05 PM.png

Danielle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2015 1
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Amazing that there is no reply from Adobe staff on this, other than asking about what software is being used. I'm suspecting that this is crashing my computer. I've stopped the update services through the Control Panel, but it doesn't have any affect. If you end the process, it just comes right back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2015 1
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello DataPro2,

One thing that helps a little is to remove everything Adobe or CC-related from your LaunchDaemons folder which you can find inside your main Library folder. I've done so, and so far, there have been no problems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2015 0
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm using Windows 7 and I think the LaunchDaemons would only apply to IOS. The equivalent in Windows is probably the Services in the Control Panel, but stopping everything from Adobe doesn't work. From what I can see, this is probably related to the AdobeIPCBroker.exe which checks to ensure that you have a legal copy of the product, but does hundreds of thousands of I/O operations a day! Being a programmer, I can't see any reason why this would be necessary (a few times a day ought to be all that's needed). Here's more info on it: AdobeIPCBroker

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2015 2
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This past weekend (September 19 and 20 of 2015), I discovered a solution to my problem, and it seems to be perfectly legal and does not violate any of Adobe's various agreements, to my knowledge. It's extremely simple and quick, but I hesitate to mention it here, because if I do, Adobe would probably disable that option in future updates; in fact, based upon their response to this thread and similar threads, and my personal experiences with their tech support department, I feel sure that they would do so. As of the date of this posting, I have only updated my InDesign CC-2014 to the latest version (CC-2015), so it's possible that the method I used is simply a fluke, and might only work with InDesign. After I have successfully updated all my Adobe apps using this method, I will post more of the details here. However, due to my schedule, that might be some months from now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 0
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem...I even uninstalled and am now trying to reinstall my CC software, and it is hanging and not installing due to "Adobe Desktop Helper" taking up all the 100% of my CPU.  Someone please fix this!  I can't use the software I am paying $50/month for!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 2
Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hey RotechIT.

I don't wanna sound snarky but of course we have submitted the bug report multiple times already. There are threads going back months, this is not a new issue 

No, Adobe seems to have decided to ignore the bug and is remaining silent on the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 2
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RotechIT,

I don't find the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app (the one that appears in the Mac menubar) on the list of Adobe apps for which the Feature Request/Bug Report Form can be used. That said, their bug reporting form provides no option to report bugs like this, and that could be the reason they're not addressing the problems: there is no way to report such bugs.

Perhaps the person who designed that "Feature Request/Bug Report Form" web page accidentally omitted the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app from the list of programs that could be selected by way of the bug report popup menu (there are almost 40 programs listed, after all). If that's the case, then the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app team is probably sitting in an office congratulating each other on their programming skills, imagining that they have the best Adobe app of all because they never receive any bug reports. Stranger things have happened...

--Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 4
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got off with Adobe Support Chat.  They fixed my installation of Creative Cloud by remotely deleting all Adobe files from my computer and then using the Adobe Cleaner Tool to fix my installation, and then Adobe App Manager was installed. 

I am now in the process of reinstalling my apps.  At least it is fixed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2015 2
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you, nanettem61000373, but it didn't work for me. I spent many hours watching them remotely delete  all the Adobe files and re-install them, without any effect. Even using the Adobe Cleaner Tool had no effect. The maddening thing is that they would do it over and over, as if doing it a second, third, fourth, or fifth time would produce a different result. I've heard that repeating the same steps and expecting a different result is a sign of serious mental illness.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2015 3
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting News: David Blatner and Anne-Marie Concepcion of InDesignSecrets discuss this problem at length in their current (as I'm typing this) "InDesignSecrets Podcast #226" starting at 34:17 into the podcast. According to the podcast, David Blatner has the same problem that we have been discussing in this thread. In fact, he mentions long forumthreads about the problem, so it's possible that he may have read this thread, although he doesn't mention the problem of Adobe's updater app using 100% of one of one's CPUs, 24/7/365.

David Blatner (from podcast #226): "The CC app can't be just 98% reliable; it has to be rock solid! I don't mind 99.999[%], but this is really frustrating!"

I recommend listening to the podcast. He describes the problem vividly, provides credible reasons why Adobe's official solutions are unacceptable, and also admits that even though he has found a solution, he still is not able to update his apps with the CC app. Here is his solution: download the apps from ProDesignTools: Adobe® Developments in Focus from which you can access the Mac or PC download areas.

I've tested David Blatner's solution repeatedly, and so far, I could not get it to work. I tried it in the latest versions of Safari and Chrome, with both my real Adobe ID and a Tryout Adobe ID and no Adobe ID. And I accessed the links from several different pages.  Right now, the progress bar of the "Preparing to Install" screen has not moved, not even a single pixel, ever, going on an hour now. You might have different results, and I'd be interested in hearing about those results, if so.

--Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2015 2
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really liked working with Adobe products. But for some cycles they are more and more trying to force me into a way of working I don't want.

To me it seems I don't need this hole Desktop and Cloud services, so I just want to disable them.

I want a software which works the way I want! That's what I pay for, not the other way round.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2015 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here... Using A LOT of system resources.

Not only that: Whenever it is active it causes nasty "Sleep wake failure" crashes on my MacBook.

It's the first thing that goes after I (re)start my macbook.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2015 1
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's November.... Still here...Same issue. Adobe?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2015 1