Highlighted

Adobe Crash Daemon preventing Creative Cloud Updater

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks, i'm trying to run the updater in the Application Manager on my iMac (Mountain Lion) but I keep getting an error saying

"Please close the following applications to continue:

• AdobeCrashDaemon"

If I hit continue it just keeps popping back up and can't see where that application is running (presumably in the background somewhere)

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Neil

Hi Sergei and Neil,

Did you check the Activity Monitor?

Should be in Applications > Utilities folder

- Open it and look under the Process Name column and see if you see anything saying AdobeCrashDaemon

- Try to Quit the process if you find it and then running the Updater again

You should be able to initiate the updater from within any of the CS6 products from Help > Updates (that might be what you are doing already)

-Dave

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Crash Daemon preventing Creative Cloud Updater

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks, i'm trying to run the updater in the Application Manager on my iMac (Mountain Lion) but I keep getting an error saying

"Please close the following applications to continue:

• AdobeCrashDaemon"

If I hit continue it just keeps popping back up and can't see where that application is running (presumably in the background somewhere)

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Neil

Hi Sergei and Neil,

- Open it and look under the Process Name column and see if you see anything saying AdobeCrashDaemon

You should be able to initiate the updater from within any of the CS6 products from Help > Updates (that might be what you are doing already)

-Dave

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2012 1
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I wondered about these.

• Does the error persist after restarting the Mac?
  • Does anything by that name appear in Activity Monitor?
  • Are all other Adobe apps closed?

-Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2012 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I have the same issue as Neil described on OS X 10.7.4.

• Restarting the Mac did not help.
  • There is nothing under "force quit" that could be linked to it.
  • All other adobe apps are closed.

thanks

sergei

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2012 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergei and Neil,

-Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2012 22
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help folks, i have this sorted now.

I had the same issue as Sergei

• Restarting the Mac did not help.
  • There is nothing under "force quit" that could be linked to it.
  • All other adobe apps are closed.

David_B, your solution worked for me so hoipefully should sort it for Sergei too

Thanks, Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2012 0
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, too.

Thanks, Dave.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2012 0
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2012 0
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKED!  Simple to follow!

Thanks for sharing;))

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2013 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked for me, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2013 0
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked a treat... Many thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2014 0
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David! Saved my life!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working ... thanks David_B

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked to remove the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David, this worked, but is it really a good idea to expect users to run Activity Monitor and kill processes? It seems like it's a bug that Adobe should fix. Users could lose important data or worse if they don't know what they're doing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2015 0
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amazing thanks for your help - this worked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me without having to restart. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2015 0
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to close a process called CS6ServiceManager in order for my updates to carry on running. Hope that helps anyone who's stuck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 02, 2012 0
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having the same problem I did what you said with Activity Monitor, but I am under Process Name and I can't find AdobeCrashDaemon. I even searched for it in the Search box and nothing came out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that running Activity Monitor as discussed and ending the process 'adb' did the trick for me - I had no sign of a specific AdobeCrashDaemon process.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2012 0
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked in Activity Monitor (and on the terminal with ps -e) and there is nothing running as AdobeCrashDaemon. I also looked for "adb" as this seemed to work for @inkbake but also nothing under that name. When searching just for "Adobe" I get three processes (2 user, 1 system) all with the name of the Adobe Application Manager ... I'm assuming terminating this would be self-defeating as it would kill the updating process.

Any other help on process names to search for would be appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2012 0
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. That's odd. After staring at process names for 30 minutes I desperately just hit the "try again" button on the installeer and it now is proceeding without issue. Go figure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2012 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what did it for me.  Thanks for the tip.  I did a restart and it didn't work, and I couldn't find anything in the Activity Monitor.  I tried your tip on retrying the updated and it worked.

It's bizarre, but if it works, it works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2012 0
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 29, 2014 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Thanks for the input.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2014 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For ignorant people like me, you might need to know that the activity monitor has a drop down menu at the top, if you don't see the Adobe Crash Daemon at first, choose Active Processes. I had it on Windowed Processes and the daemon doesn't show in that list. Thanks for the tip though, I finally figgured it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2012 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also curious, does anyone know if this is a bug or if there's something that will prevent it? In addition, if this happens all the time, I assume Adobe would want to fix it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2012 0
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this is a race condition in the installer. I notice this only happens when I'm updating many applications at once. Each application has its own installer that Update Manager runs. The error is probably related to installers kicking off background jobs for post-install actions and so when the new installer starts, the old one hasn't finished, the new installer freaks out about things. Hence, if you wait a bit and click continue it works again.

I suspect, (working in software for many years now), the teams that work on the individual applications only test their application and no one is testing that the upgrade of many of the applications is smooth. but yea, Adobe should totally fix update manager to not allow this to happen. its quite annoying.

-Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2012 0
Advocate ,
Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error on a mac- I didn't have the AdobeCrashDaemon process running. I cancelled the download/install, and re-ran it and AE installed fine. Hooray!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2013 1
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve this, opening the activity manager, and closing something like "CS5" something...!

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2013 0