Highlighted

Adobe Newbie - How do I get started?!

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're staying safe and doing well! For the longest, I've subscribed to Adobe but have been hesitant to fully dive into tutorials to explore everything I want to design. Ironically, for the longest, I've used PowerPoint for creative projects out of familiarity (see attached for some examples of my work). I've known for sometime that eventually I'd walk across the metaphorical stage and graduate from Office tools to a more professional quality with different functionality... and today's the day I reach out and grab that diploma. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could get started? I'm talking absolute basics, I still don't understand what is the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator; Premiere Pro and After Effects; InDesign and anything else. Please help... there's an invitation to my virtual grad party in it for you (designed on [insert Adobe App here that I still don't know] of course).

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Feature request, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Newbie - How do I get started?!

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're staying safe and doing well! For the longest, I've subscribed to Adobe but have been hesitant to fully dive into tutorials to explore everything I want to design. Ironically, for the longest, I've used PowerPoint for creative projects out of familiarity (see attached for some examples of my work). I've known for sometime that eventually I'd walk across the metaphorical stage and graduate from Office tools to a more professional quality with different functionality... and today's the day I reach out and grab that diploma. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could get started? I'm talking absolute basics, I still don't understand what is the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator; Premiere Pro and After Effects; InDesign and anything else. Please help... there's an invitation to my virtual grad party in it for you (designed on [insert Adobe App here that I still don't know] of course).

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Feature request, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 09, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the forum for each program and ask the users... please start at https://community.adobe.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Lightroom is a digital darkroom.  Use it to manage and adjust photos from your digital cameras.
  • Photoshop is mainly for raster images, retouching photos, making web graphics like JPG, PNG, animated GIF.
  • Illustrator is for vector graphics, shapes, logos, puppets, icons, brand name text.
  • InDesign is for printed brochures, product packaging, business cards, book covers, newspaper column layouts, eBooks.
  • Premier Pro is advanced video editing software.
  • After Effects is post production video software for 2D motion graphics, titles and special effects. Can be used alone or with Character Animator to bring life to static Illustrator drawn puppets.

Pick one software like Photoshop.  Go to the Help Menu and click on F1 for online help or Tutorials.  Learn the basics first and experiment.  Practice, practice, practice.  Repeat.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html

Have fun!

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was EXTREMELY helpful Nancy, thank you! I was aiming to design graphics for digital presentations, social media/instagram stories (framed in a custom layout with video embedded). Sounds like I should start with photoshop and premier pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 0
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a good place to start.  If you get stuck on anything, post specific questions in the product forum. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/bd-p/photoshop

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/bd-p/premiere-pro

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2020 0
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop forum is very friendly and helpful. Always mention your PS and OS version when posing questions.

I suggest you concentrate on Photoshop to begin with. The Photography Plan incluedes Photoshop (and upgrades as they become available), Lightroom and 20GB of storage for around $10 a month. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0