• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All my folders and files were removed with Adobe CC update this morning (Mac OS)

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I routinely clicked "update all" for my Adobe Creative Cloud update icon this morning on my MacBook Pro 2020 model with OS Catalina 10.15.7.

Later, when I was back on my computer, I noticed that everything in my Documents folder had disappeared, except for a folder called Adobe that has four subfolders, but they are all empty (which did not use to be the case earlier).

Obviously, something has gone horribly wrong. I did not get any error messages, and the CC updater only says that all the software are up to date. But all my work+private documents and data have disappeared! 

I tried to search if they had ended up into some other subfolder etc., but I can't seem to find them (tens of gigabytes of documents!) Also the contents of my Desktop folder vanished at the same time, but the contents of my Movies, Pictures, Music and Download folders remain intact.

What happened? Is there any way to recover them?

I assume I can't be the only one to whom this happened?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if you need a full restore from your backups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Yes, I'm prepared to do that now and luckily I have up-to-date backups, but I would nevertheless like to know how something like this could happen. 

I found out that something similar has happened also earlier with Adobe updates, for example this reports such problems from 2016:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35577498

Something related to this has happened also at least in 2015, but then it apparently did not affect everything in the Documents folder:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services/updated-creative-cloud-deleted-my-files/td-p/...

and also as recently as in August this year!

https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lightroom-app-update-wipes-users-photos-and-presets-adobe-says-they...

Personally I don't find it acceptable that an updater that I have always trusted (and one that is very expensive, too!) destroys all my personal documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines