• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App updates consuming all bandwidth

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently, when app updates appear in the Creative Cloud app, if I click to update one of these apps, I'm unable to use the Internet for anything else on this PC while the app updates.

All browsers when loading web pages become excruciatingly unresponsive and most after some delay display "web page took too long to respond" errors.

If I cancel an update, or once it's finished, the web speed appears to go back to normal. The speed is only noticeable on this PC during the updates. Other devices on the network work as usual.

Is it possible to throttle the amount of bandwidth used during the update process so that I'm still able to continue doing other online tasks?

I've gone into Preferences > Creative Cloud > Files and changed the download and upload speeds, but this has no effect (as I believe this is a sync speed for files / assets).

---

PC running Windows 7 Professional SP1, i5-4440 @ 3.10GHz, 16Gb RAM, 64-bit

Creative Cloud App Version: 4.0.1.188

Message was edited by: Simon Shirley Added Creative Cloud app version number

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure it's a bandwidth issue.  there may be some other problem.

but if you want to test that, 3 Free Tools to Restrict or Limit Internet Download and Upload Transfer Speeds • Raymond.CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue at our office. We have a business internet line which supports simultaneous users but as soon as I start an install for Adobe CC versions through the cloud app, the internet comes to a crawl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I manage a small team of three people; we all have Adobe Cloud. When Adobe CC updates itself, it takes up so much download bandwidth. Our tech support people have provide a report suggesting Adobe CC updates takes up 68% of our overall bandwidth. Amazingly troublesome. Did anyone else get any answers? I'm currently trying to get through to Adobe on the phone (25 minutes on hold so far). Paul in Sydney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What QoS or other mechanisms do you have to limit and equalize bandwidth? It doesn't do anything unusual, just connects and downloads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have the same problem (surfing(100Mbs) goes down to the knees if i just download/update 1-2 clients) and i have a lot done in QOS table but its not the right place to post the whole profile.

Could you please help me with qos. What can i prioritise? Port(it is standart https port, is it not? so here i can do nothing), IP/IP-range of the download/update server?) Some informations would bring me some balance/control to the trafic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. When I try and do app updates and when Lightroom CC uploads a bunch of photographs my other internet apps stop all together. My internet speed is 3-4 MHz. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richardl72316268  wrote

My internet speed is 3-4 MHz. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

MHz is not a unit of data transfer speed. Did you mean Mbs (Mega bits per second)?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you for the correction. My connection speed is 3-4 Mbps not MHz as stated.

Now we know the problem. Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the solution would be to get a speedier line as 3-4Mps is not very fast for today's standards.

I would suggest to do the updates at night.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no solution within Adobe CC unless Adobe decides to start following good design principles. I mean, even Windows 10 lets you limit how much bandwidth updates can use, and there is no real reason to not make it available. I mean, I'm on a high-speed fiber connection and before installing limiters I had to turn auto-updates off just so that CC won't kill my connection when updating, and when I did update, I used my fall-over connection (200Mbps LTE) for the updates to keep my main connection alive for other use.

But anyway, one could use additional tools to limit bandwidth usage for selected programs. On windows, something like Netlimiter (not free, costs around $30 USD) or a free alternative like TMeter Free (it's harder to use, how to geek has a good tutorial on setting it up, but should work just fine). No idea for Mac users though, but I believe there are similar solutions available, maybe even built in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The arrogance and contempt of companies and individuals who are fortunate enough to live somewhere with fast internet, when planning things on the assumption the rest of the world will just "get faster internet", is breathtaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One answer says "spend you cheap maggot!" and the other answer is philosophical...

If uploading photos and psd files is bandwidth hogging then why not allow for update at a certain time in creative cloud. I was thinking of letting it update while I went for a walk today. Alas, I forgot.

No BT fibre cable in Middlesbrough, UK, maybe Virgin..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had a mystery grinding to a halt of my connection, Checking 'Task Manager' 'Network Usage' revealed this to be Adobe Installer. Absolutely no other clues were given that Adobe were taking over. I had no other Adobe applications running. I find this pretty poor practice and agree about their assumption on their part that all their subscribers have fast Internet. I'm still on ADSL as there is no fibre here yet, I do get around 17Mbps down which, whilst frustrating at times, is adequate for my use.

There is a setting in CC Preferences for limiting bandwidth for Syncing but not for Updating... I can turn off Auto Updates and do it manually but that's not really convenient.

It stopped for a while and now it's started again.... Grrrr! Going to walk the dogs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what RFNM said; "There is a setting in CC Preferences for limiting bandwidth for Syncing but not for Updating".

Why is this; why isn't there a possibility to limit bandwidth, to schedule updates, or another mechanism that allows for a better control of updating the applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm clearly having this issue almost 3 years after it was reported. This would be easy to solve by adding a bandwidth option to the program like many other programs also use. I (unfortunately) live in rural Ireland and have only a 4G router connection (15mb/10mb). When I look at my performance monitor it seems to be saturating the connection. While we appreciate your fast servers, we need it to be controled! Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! I have 80 MBps but still all other internet activity is halted. Amazing that this hasn't been fixed. Quite ignorant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, bandwith goes dramatically down even though I have a very fast internet connection. 

Anyone any creative idea?!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Apparently. Because my entire connection was grinding to a halt, nothing was loading at any decent pace anymore, even Google took forever to load up and pinging 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS) completely timed out. I was just about to check the router status when the Creative Cloud App notified me two apps were just updated. And now everything is back to normal speed again. I've looked around in the app settings to see if there is any way to throttle or pace the download, like Windows Update does, but there is none. This is unacceptable and utter madness: how can an app updater just arbitrarily hijack 95% of your bandwidth to do some minor maintenance, while you're in the middle of working??! This needs to be addressed ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me. As soon as I click Update on an application in Creative Cloud Desktop, if I'm streaming a YouTube video for example, the video stops. How is that possible in 2020 ? So bad programming ? Come on Adobe, improve your software!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this exact problem and it's driving me nuts. The CC app is ridiculus in the way it takes over the entire bandwidth of the computer and doensn't leave a drop of internet for any other app to use. Can't even load a single webpage while CC is updating apps. I have hundreds of internet applications on my computer and no other program does this. There is a fundamental problem with the CC app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't see that.  in fact, downloads use very little bandwidth (for me) and download much slower than downloads from any other site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you. Must be nice. Doesn't change what I and many others have said about our situations. 

For the rest of us, this is a problem. I have very little bandwidth where I work. However, it all works fine with the hundreds of applications on my PC, including many launcher and updating apps that constantly do updates in the background. I can still use the slow internet. CC is the only app that completely brings all internet to a standstill. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having a similar issue related the bandwidth and the Creative Cloud app. I've got 70mbps download at home and 100mbps down at my office. If I update my CC apps from home, the rest of my network comes to a standstill. If we take Call of Duty for example, when I was downloading that 100gb+ package, I could set a bandwidth restriction so that it only used half my bandwidth, allowing me to get on with my day while it does it's thing in the background... Why is this not a simple implementation on Adobe's part?

As for my office connection, I work remotely on a PC at my office at the moment, and I did have automatic updates on. However the second a CC app decides to update, I am unable to work remotely on my Office PC anymore until that update is complete, due to the absolute network hog the CC app is during updates.

It's simple, just add a bandwidth option in the CC app so that application only download at a speed that the paying customer can set.

Don't tell us to just get better internet or whatever. My internet is fine, this is still an issue, and apparently it is for many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines