• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Autocad file now opens Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Autocad 2020 in a college architecture class for this past month with no issues. Today, when double clicking on the Autocad file to open it the application that opens is not Autocad but Illustrator. A dialog box says there is an error that in fact Illustrator can not open my Autocad file. 

I have not had any issues previously with opening my Autocad files. Why am I now having issues now?

I have found a work-around: Open the Autocad application and from within the application find and "Open" my Autocad file. Again, why am I not able to double click on my Autocad file and have it open within the application.

Thanks for any thoughts and help you might have.

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

It’s not an Adobe issue. In Windows, it’s Windows that chooses what happens when you double click on a file, so it’s Window you need to change settings in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Thank you, you're exactly right. I contacted Autodesk and somehow Autocad changed the default program to open. Autodesk tech support sent the appropriate info to re associate the file type with the program and all is well. Again, thanks much for your time and knowledge!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Search bar at the top of http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx to find out how to set/fix program to file associations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, 

Why is it that I'm going to Microsoft to fix what appears to be an Adobe issue? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoCad produces many file types.  Which file type or extension is trying to launch in Illustrator?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy.

I am not trying to open Ilustrator. When I quit Autocad it saves to an Autocad filetype - .dwg. When double clicking on the Autocad .dwg file it should open Autocad but instead Illustrator opens.

I understand the file type will open the associated application but how has this switched from Autocad to Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not an Adobe issue. In Windows, it’s Windows that chooses what happens when you double click on a file, so it’s Window you need to change settings in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, you're exactly right. I contacted Autodesk and somehow Autocad changed the default program to open. Autodesk tech support sent the appropriate info to re associate the file type with the program and all is well. Again, thanks much for your time and knowledge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines