Highlighted

BEGINNER DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START 3D

New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a graphic designer, mainly apparel design now.

I am now looking to jump into designing in 3D. If I can design in 3D it would be a game changer. 

I would like to make OBJ models of tshirts, polo tops, gloves, mx pants, mx helmets, skate style shoes.

I have purchased some 3D tshirt OBJ models which I can place my designs on in PS CC 3d and then animate. 

However I need to be able to change the pattern/shape of the model to match my garment pattern/shape. Therefore I feel I need to learn to modelling and texture in 3d.

I have been pulling my hair out reading up on PS 3d, Blender, dimensions, Fuse, 3d Max. 

• SO I AM NOT SURE WHERE TO START OR WHAT PROGRAM TO STUDY TO ACHIEVE MY GOAL.

• Where would I find comprehensive tutorials?

Please give me any advice on where to start, what program/s I should learn, tutorials???

Thank you in advance to anyone who has time to read this and reply. 

Topics

New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

BEGINNER DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START 3D

New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a graphic designer, mainly apparel design now.

I am now looking to jump into designing in 3D. If I can design in 3D it would be a game changer. 

I would like to make OBJ models of tshirts, polo tops, gloves, mx pants, mx helmets, skate style shoes.

I have purchased some 3D tshirt OBJ models which I can place my designs on in PS CC 3d and then animate. 

However I need to be able to change the pattern/shape of the model to match my garment pattern/shape. Therefore I feel I need to learn to modelling and texture in 3d.

I have been pulling my hair out reading up on PS 3d, Blender, dimensions, Fuse, 3d Max. 

• SO I AM NOT SURE WHERE TO START OR WHAT PROGRAM TO STUDY TO ACHIEVE MY GOAL.

• Where would I find comprehensive tutorials?

Please give me any advice on where to start, what program/s I should learn, tutorials???

Thank you in advance to anyone who has time to read this and reply. 

Topics

New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davescm is our resident 3D guru.  His "Something for the Weekend" images are often made entirely in Adobe Photoshop, Blender 3D and Adobe Substance.  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-92-going-underground/m-p/111...

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing me in the right directyion. I will head over now and hopefully find what i am looking for..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to produce your own models, or edit existing models, I would start with Blender 3D (which I use). It is free to use, but don't let that put you off. It is a very capable application and the output can compete with full price applications. You can model directly in the application and that includes simple modelling, sculpting and cloth simulation (should you want to simulate the way cloth hangs over an object pulled by gravity).

Once modelled, UV unwrapping can be done in Blender (this is the equivalent of laying out the surfaces of a 3D object on a 2D plane, something which you will be familiar with in the textile world).
The next step is texturing. Textures can be created in Blender or in Photoshop and applied in Blender, however I much prefer Adobe's Substance suite. Painter works a bit like Photoshop in that you build up materials layers. However, instead of just working in RGB channels, you work in RGB Base Colour, Roughness, Height, Metalness, and Normal all at the same time. You can also see those textures as they appear on your model in 2D and 3D at the same time. You also can import images to use as textures and with Substance Designer, or Alchemist, turn photographs of real materials into tileable textures that can be applied in Substance Painter.
Once textured the final stage is either :
a. Light and render the scene - which can all be done in Blender. Blender uses the GPU for fast rendering and can render a single image or a sequence for animation.

or

b. Export the model with textures for rendering elsewhere or for use on a webpage with interactive 3D capability.

The learning curve in any 3D application is steep, but with Blender there are 1000s of video tutorials on line. Make sure you get tutorials for Blender 2.8 though as the interface changes considerably with that release.
There are good substance tutorials in the Substance Academy to get you going with any of the Substance applications.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

• Can I do the model in Blender 2.8 with fabric textrures etc to make look realistic, then export/save as a OBJ file to Photoshop CC 3D, and set it up like the screen shots below.

• If i take an exisitng Blender model that is close to what I want, to speed up things for the moment, can I then just change that model to what I want using Blender?

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 6.43.03 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-13 at 6.43.18 pm.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a model in Blender and export as obj to bring in to any other application that can open obj files (including Photoshop). What is key is that you unwrap your model in Blender and give it the material names that you want to use elsewhere.

You can edit existing models in Blender

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

• Can I import any OBJ model into Blender 2.8 (even if it was origianlly created using another app), and be able to make changes, add texture, do rigging etc.?

• Do you have a link to a good tutorial that I can learn to unwrap model in Blender which would give me smart layers to add design work in Photoshop 3d?

• In the 3D world, what is considered to be high resolution?

• In blender 2.8. in order to use textures, fabrics etc from Adobe's Substance suite, do you need to use a work around? 

• If i purchased a model, and only wanted to use a portion of it, say for a different scene, can the model be broken down to be used in different scenes. IE if i had a model of a motocross rider, but only wanted to use the helmet in a different scene. Could i copy the helmet across to use in a diferent scene?

thanks in advance, you have been very good and patient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can I import any OBJ model into Blender 2.8 (even if it was origianlly created using another app), and be able to make changes, add texture, do rigging etc.?

Yes

Do you have a link to a good tutorial that I can learn to unwrap model in Blender which would give me smart layers to add design work in Photoshop 3d?

There are hundreds of tutorials on line that cover unwrapping. Just Google "Blender 2.8 UV unwrapping".

In addition, Substance Painter can now auto unwrap - although I prefer to do do the task manually as it gives more control over where the seams will lie.

In the 3D world, what is considered to be high resolution?

There are two parts to this. First the resolution of the final render which is dictated by how you will use the final image, e.g. will it be in HD Video, will it be printed as would a photograph, will you be compositing the render with another image and using that other image's pixel size to dictate the resolution.

The second is texel resolution, i.e. the resolution of the texture on different parts of the model. This requirement depends on how big the model will be in the scene. So it is pointless using 8Kx8K textures (which are considered to be high) on an object that will be tiny in the far distance and use hardly any of the final rendered image pixels. So the texture resolution is related to, but not the same as, the rendered image resolution.

In blender 2.8. in order to use textures, fabrics etc from Adobe's Substance suite, do you need to use a work around?

No. Just export the textures from Substance painter. In Blender, ensure node wrangler is enabled in Preferences >Add ons. Select the PBR node and press Shift+Ctrl+T to add those texture maps, each plugged in to the appropriate input of the PBR material node.
One thing to watch out for is that Blender uses Open GL format normal maps, Substance painter defaults to Direct X so when creating and exporting the materials the correct format needs to be output.

If i purchased a model, and only wanted to use a portion of it, say for a different scene, can the model be broken down to be used in different scenes. IE if i had a model of a motocross rider, but only wanted to use the helmet in a different scene. Could i copy the helmet across to use in a diferent scene?

Yes, with one caveat. Modelling and model editing is best done on a high poly model (i.e. a model with lots of vertices and faces). However for games use, models are often converted to low poly, with the high poly detail being baked into the height and normal maps. This is something that can be done in Substance Painter. However if you purchase a low poly model, then you are more limited in your editing.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I want a lot of detail in my models as I would be using the model to show case my apparel designs to potential clients. So my final output could be a high res tiff, jpeg or a lower quality animated GIF, or maybe to a small file size video of less then one minute duration. Each model would be a standalone file, so only one asset per file.

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines