Highlighted

Can I still use the software if I stop paying for it?

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love everything about Adobe but I'm struggling to keep up with the payments because of work (or lack of). If I stop paying for the service can I use older versions of the software or will I be blocked out completely from using the software? Sorry if this has already been answered and thank you in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

tomm12635706  wrote

If I stop paying for the service can I use older versions of the software

I'm not clear on whether you mean previous versions of Cloud apps (CC 2015, etc) or pre-Cloud Creative Suite apps (CS5, CS4 etc).

Cloud apps are all rented so, as the other responders have said, when you stop paying your Cloud membership, all versions of all Cloud apps will stop working, including CS6 if you install that via the Cloud.

All Creative Suite software will keep working since you have purchased a perpetual licence for those.

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can I still use the software if I stop paying for it?

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love everything about Adobe but I'm struggling to keep up with the payments because of work (or lack of). If I stop paying for the service can I use older versions of the software or will I be blocked out completely from using the software? Sorry if this has already been answered and thank you in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

tomm12635706  wrote

I'm not clear on whether you mean previous versions of Cloud apps (CC 2015, etc) or pre-Cloud Creative Suite apps (CS5, CS4 etc).

Cloud apps are all rented so, as the other responders have said, when you stop paying your Cloud membership, all versions of all Cloud apps will stop working, including CS6 if you install that via the Cloud.

All Creative Suite software will keep working since you have purchased a perpetual licence for those.

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomm12635706  wrote

If I stop paying for the service can I use older versions of the software or will I be blocked out completely from using the software?

Only if you purchased them, have valid serial numbers for them, and they will work with your current operating system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your previously installed versions that you paid for will not stop working when Creative Cloud subscription lapses.   Only the CC apps will stop working.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomm12635706  wrote

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's vague. Be precise!

Will photoshop 2018 stop working?

I've paid your for approximately four years. That's 48 months at $20 per month. PS CC 2018 is where I want to stop. I have no assets from the cloud. I have no fonts, no images, no nothing. I stopped the fonts because retrieval of them was slowing me down. I had only two, and getting this back to my computer took far too much time and that prohibited marking my favorites.

$20 per month x 48 = $960. That's a fair amount to continue using PS CC 2018.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lengo67  wrote

That's vague. Be precise!

Will photoshop 2018 stop working?

It's very simple.  When you stop paying, your service ends.  It's no different than paying for electricity, cell phone or internet service.  If you wish to keep using the service, you must keep paying for it.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is different.
The older version of software already exists and requires no upkeep unlike the electricity, telephone, and internet which requires maintenance of lines and equipment due to environmental factors. 

If I have a contract with my cell phone provider, and pay monthly for a device until it is paid off, they don't take away the cell phone because I stopped paying for their service. They stop providing service to the device; ie data, sms, and phone call functionality.

Older versions of software should similarly apply.
If someone has paid four years (10x12x4 ie ~$500 w/ tax) for a piece of software, they should be able to use their older version.

That is how Jetbrains operates. An initial fee is paid, and annually an individual pays a rate to keep their license active. If they stop paying to renew their license they can continue to use the older version of the software but cease to have access to newer patches, features, and versions.

That makes more sense then Adobe's business model which doesn't even sell a license for a CC version of Photoshop whereby forcing the individual to pay a license indefitenly else...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stop paying the rent, you stop having access to Photoshop 2018. To continue to use Photoshop, you must keep paying the rent, for as long as you need to use it.

Even if your intention is to stick with an older version, you will still need to keep paying the rent. Previous rent payments have no bearing on whether or not it is "fair" to continue to use an older version.

Pay the rent, or no access to Photoshop. Simple as that.

If you are looking for a perpetual license, Adobe is not the place (anymore) to be: switch to an alternative, such as Affinity Photo, PhotoLine or even Photoshop Elements (although Affinity Photo and PhotoLine are much more capable than Elements, and less expensive). One time payment, use for as long as your Operating System supports it.

Or use open source software like Gimp or Krita, and pay nothing, and still use it for your work.

Your choice!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I don't understand what everyone else is saying because with my understanding of computers, the software is already installed on your computer so it should continue to work you just wouldn't get the updates. I am going to try it anyway, I have been paying for years and not using it enough. I can always buy another subscription at another time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PTone  wrote

Well I don't understand what everyone else is saying because with my understanding of computers, the software is already installed on your computer so it should continue to work you just wouldn't get the updates.

Canceling your creative cloud subscription does not remove software from your computer.  You must do that yourself.  However, if you try to open it, you will be prompted to enter your CC ID and password.   If it's not active, you won't get very far.

Good luck.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now what if I am offline and am not able to "sign in" anyway. Will I be allowed to use Premiere Pro and Photoshop in this case?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What if I am offline and am not able to "sign in" anyway. Will I be allowed to use Premiere Pro and Photoshop in this case?"

Maybe, maybe not.  If you haven't been online lately, you need Internet access to confirm your subscription is active.   Creative Cloud needs to call home for about 20 seconds every 30 days or so.  And it goes without saying, you need Internet to use Creative Cloud's online services like file sync and Adobe Fonts.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you stop your subscription, then the software will stop working the day after the subscription ends.

If you are offline at the time, it will probably still stop because it will be trying to reauthorize and your offline status will prevent it from doing so. CC applications check in with Adobe about every 30 days, I think it is, and if it can't check in, it will stop working.

If you are an individual subscriber and you are having financial issues because of the pandemic, Adobe may waive subscription fees for a couple of months. This is not an official policy and seems to be handled on an individual basis. You will have to talk to customer care directly and work something out with them. You must already be a subscriber; Adobe is not going to give free or reduced-cost access to all its programs to people who are not customers.

Be aware that because of the pandemic, wait times are far longer than usual. Please be patient with the people to whom you speak. Like you, they are feeling a great deal of stress. A little patience and understanding will go a long way to helping you in your particular situation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software will continue to work as designed. What's it's designed to do is check whether you have an active subscription, and not let you do anything else if you have not. Should you get a subscription later, it will again do the things you expect, so there is no need to uninstall if you plan to subscribe again in future.

But this is just fancy words. The simple answer is: if you don't keep paying it doesn't work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact adobe and ask before you do this. If you unsubscribe, you might have to re-subscribe at a higher rate.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines