Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open CS5 in OS-X "Sierra"

Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CS5. I recently upgraded my iMac to OS-X “Sierra.” With the new Apple operating system upgrade I can no longer open CS5.

A window pops up advising me that I need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime. But the Java download is only for earlier OS X versions up

to El Capitan (OS X 10.10.). I did the Java download hoping that it might work, but it didn’t. i still get the pop up window preventing me from opening CS5.

I checked my Java Control Panel which said my system has the recommended version of Java — Java 8 Update 101.

I am in desperate need to use Photoshop in my work. Hope someone can advise what to do.

This issue was incorrectly marked answered but it has not been answered.

Merv Bloch

mabloch@nyc.rr.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your suggestion, Ned. However, I was hoping for another solution other than subscribing to Creative Cloud.

If i understand it correctly, Creative Cloud offers me another Photoshop app -- Photoshop CC at a monthly fee. I would prefer

a solution that does not involve an additional cost or an alternate app. Adobe apparently is unreachable by phone so I’m stuck

with an Adobe forum community that I’ve never participated in before. Very frustrating. Anyway, thanks for your help but I’ve got to

search further for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 and earlier programs have not been tested and will not be updated for Mac El Capitan/Sierra

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems

-you may get CS6 and earlier programs to install and run, or you may not (some do, some don't)

-Java https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/dreamweaver-java-se-6-runtime.html may help

Install CS5 on Mac 10.11 https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2003455 may help (also for other than CS5)

-also a TEMPORARY security change https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2039319

-http://mac-how-to.wonderhowto.com/how-to/open-third-party-apps-from-unidentified-developers-mac-os-x...

-and more on gatekeeper https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202491

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. I’ll look into some of your suggestions. I had no trouble running CS5 in El Capitan. Evidently, it was a mistake to upgrade to Sierra.

I can’t seem to find anyone else addressing this issue online. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hlime,

I have the same exact issue. I found this forum from goggling it. Did you ever find a solution? So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the exact same problem with no solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2016 Oct 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Following up on your attached links, I no longer have the option of selecting “Anywhere” because it doesn’t exist in Security & Privacy on OS 10.12 “Sierra.”

I’m stuck. Can’t open Photoshop CS5 without the proper Java plug-in which apparently doesn’t exist for “Sierra.” “Legacy Java SE6 runtime” does not work

since it’s only good for “El Capitan” and earlier OS systems. The Adobe and Photoshop websites offer no help. Don’t even address this issue. Can’t understand why

more users are not up in arms over this problem, particular people who must use Photoshop professionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came on here searching about Sierra and CS5 compatibility.

I lost days updating to El Cap then trying to make CS5 work.  Apple had said that if your software worked on Yosemite it should work on El Cap., it didn't.  So I'm on Yosemite & CS5.

Photoshop CS5 was OK if I remember, the problems were with Illustrator & In Design. 

I was hoping the bugs in the EC CS5 compatibility had been ironed out with Sierra, obviously not.

Sounds to me like you need to revert back to EC.

I'm a bit miffed because I think I heard the last version of EC was finally compatible and I'm sure that won't be available from apple anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  the java download did not work....tried it again and it did work and now have access to Illustrator CS5 again.  this is the link I used that worked

Download Java for OS X 2015-001

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Susanna. It did not work when downloading the Java link in Safari. It only worked by downloading it in Google Chrome.

Strange. Although I can use CS5 again, my printer (Canon Pro 10) crashes when I go to print. I discovered that other people are having

the same problem. This is an Apple issue that has not been rectified as yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these upgrades are so frustrating.  I think I will have to pass on the next one.  It worked to download to Safari for me...but after I tried several times.  I have other things crashing like Word...that never crashed before.  Hmmm....just realized that I am having trouble with my printer in relationship to Adobe now.    Glad to hear that you got CS5 back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>other things crashing like Word...that never crashed before

Based on reading a LOT of messages, Apple does not do a very good job (does not care?) of ensuring that their operating system updates are compatible with older software

Microsoft is no better... also many messages about CS6 and earlier programs having problems with Windows 10

The bottom line seems to be... if you want to keep using old software, don't upgrade your operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible solution: Print in Canon Studio Pro if you’re using a Canon printer. The printer only crashes when I try to print directly in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susanna

You say you have access to Illustrator CS5 but is it working properly, not crashing on quit, saving your preferences, eyedropper not causing crash etc?

When I tried to get CS5 working on ElCap I installed the recommended Java which gave me access to Illustrator CS5. I could work in it and save files etc but had the issues mentioned above.

Then following forums etc I went deep into the differences between where bits of Java are stored in Yosemite vs ELCap, can't remember everything I tried but in the end gave up.  The process of reverting back to Yosemite via TimeMachine was painful. Not the TM bit but saving out all my new work and photos, mail etc from ElCap to external storage and then copying all that back into the old Yosemite as it was before the upgrade.

I am not going to try Sierra until I hear that CS5 works properly with no glitches. I don't mind installing Java as necessary as long as it works. Last time around was painful.

Must say, Yosemite & CS5 work great but I'd like to keep the Mac OS up to date  if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for the reply and information.  You went through what I was fearing.  I just tried Illustrator again.  When I close it...on purpose....the computer says it “quit unexpectedly”, eye dropper seems ok.  I will need to spend more time with it.  I wish I had waited longer which was my intuition to do.  However, what happens every time they upgrade....I get a surge of optimism and click away!  I have CC for PS only and am happy with that.  I had CC for a year with everything but seemed like a waste of money since I mostly use PS.  I do not use Illustrator as much...though when I want or need it...sigh!  So, I will spend more time with Illustrator exploring to see how the interface works and if it is good enough for my occasional needs. 

Thank you all for your help and support.  This was the first time I have posted on the forums.  I usually just read for answers...but decided to share since it appeared I found something that worked.  Only time and use will tell for sure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From memory Photoshop CS5 worked OK on ELCap so maybe OK on Sierra too.

With Illustrator that "quit unexpectedly" business on quitting is a bad sign, it means any preference adjustments you've made won't get saved.  The eyedropper works when sampling a vector colours but causes a sudden quit when sampling colour in placed raster images.

The CC photographers package of photoshop & lightroom is not so extortionate but the packages including Illustrator & Indesign are too expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in up in arms too! Are we the only ones experiencing this problem. I need this for my work too and am not willing to upgrade to the Creative Cloud prescription at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Owners of old programs simply have problems with Mac El Capitan/Sierra... none of which is Adobe's fault... Adobe did not change your old program to make it stop working... Apple changed their operating system and THAT is why your old programs won't work, not because of anything Adobe did... Also... every time Apple issues an update, there is the risk that an old program that HAS been working will STOP working... bottom line, old programs require a matching old operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, it was the OS X update that caused CS5 to stop working properly.

Adobe have created a problem though with the subscription based CC.  I used to upgrade my Creative Suite every 2 or 3 years but don't want to start with CC. Apart from being more expensive, the minute you stop paying you lose access to the software. Maybe you still have copies of the old CS5 on your computer, so you could use that but it won't work for two reasons.  The files you generated on latest CC software probably won't be compatible. You probably updated OS X because to have the latest Adobe CC so your old CS5 won't run.

I want to be able to access and review all my work well into the future eg. when I'm retired. Without paying expensive monthly subscriptions the only way to do that is to keep an old machine running old software.  My main worry is when older versions of OS X are no longer supported we may be vulnerable to viruses etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a lot of users - like me - know that adobe and intuit and others will screw us where and when they can. I will not update to sierra because I have learned that my photoshop and other programs will be stone cold dead. I hate when they do this. I bought a new mac recently (lightning strike) and discovered that with the new iMacs, you cannot boot from an offline disk. It will show the disk in startup but when you boot it won't go. After a lot of picking around with about 10 'geniuses' I was told - to my horror - that the hardware on the new iMac will not boot off an older software version. I was running a few older programs and booted onto Snow Leopard to do it, BIG fun with adobe and intuit...  can no longer use the older programs even on another boot disk. They really WANT that MONTHLY fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mounted image method worked!!! Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh Christine what's that one?

Hi hi everyone I need some help I'm currently running lion with CS 5 and need to upgrade to sierra to get my new music and artwork I've been doing on my phone onto the computer through iTunes. Been researching and it says I can use an external hardive as a backup time machine and I just wondered if this would bring back all my current programs like Microsoft office 2011 and cs5 design suite. I've read there's a recovery option which I can do which will reinstall the computer back to the grade it was, however I was hoping there could be a way to partition my Hargrove to run both lion and sierra to save me having to to upgrade and downgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I also have adobe premiere from 2003 and cubase sx on my old computer running leopard and wondered if any of you guys would know of a way I can install the software, are there any java links I could find. Thankyou so so much haven't done the upgrade yet as I'm still getting things off my computer plus gave just got pro studio 9 and wondered if you guys would know if this runs on siera. Many thanks cassie x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe sorry for the spelling mistakes meant Hardrive and have x 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cassie - I am confused as to exactly what you are asking. You are running Lion and want to upgrade to Sierra? OK. Be aware there will be a lot of programs you cannot use anymore - here is a list of what is working or not for a lot of users macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps | MacRumors Forums

and PowerPC applications won't run on OS X Mavericks or later. You can see which you have by looking at your system list.

I'll just throw this out because I am still smoking about it. I used to keep a snow leopard external and I would boot off that for some older programs I liked. Running an iMac with Maverick and then I got hit by lightening and had to get a new iMac. Turns out you cannot boot off an external. Startup shows it as an external but you just get a grey screen when you boot. Took me a good while to hunt down a 'genius' who found it is an incompatible hardware problem with the new iMacs. Who knew.

This is a lovely list of how to get up to Sierra. Prepare your Mac for macOS Sierra

I am running El Capitan now and if I upgrade to Sierra I will lose a lot of major programs. BTW - it is very difficult to step backwards as they don't let you have disks anymore to reload the software. Correct me if I am wrong but I think snow leopard was the last with disks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines