Catalina Ended My Career

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 65 years old and have been a professional graphic designer for 40+ years. I made my bones with rubylith and xacto knives. I transitioned over in the mid 90's to Macs and have purchase countless versions of Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and several other of Adobe softwares through out the last 25 years. I have spent thousands of dollars with Adobe. But after recently upgrading to Catalina all my software went obsolete. So suddenly now I need to pay atleast $63. a month to have working software. This is a game changer for my life on a fixed income and a couple small clients. I know you'll blame Apple for their update but I believe Adobe is taking this chance to gouge it's customers. At a minimum it will cost more than $750 a year to have your 3 apps. It used to cost that much for a Creative Suite that lasted several years. You guys figured out a way to take advantage, shame on you. You ended my career.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ended your career by not paying attention to the warnings that Apple has been posting for several months

Read all of the replies in this message when you have a problem with Catalina... including the link on how to go back to your older operating system
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Catalina-upgrade-breaks-Photoshop-and-Illustrator/td-p/10...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me where I missed the warnings from Apple. They never sent me any notice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm responding to John T Smith after reading his answer to Dave_Tshirhart. Sorry to hear of your pain, Dave. Here I am, 61 and my career is in bad shape too. I broke my Photoshop when I upgraded to Mojave, on my Mac Mini 2012.  My Illustrator and InDesign still work. I was not using them that much because I became a (Fine) Art teacher, and was lucky to have Adobe Creative Suite on my Windows laptop at school!  Now I lost my public school Art Teacher job because, well, Art is Not Important for Graduation and Costs Too Much Anyway. I want to make pretty graphic designs while I'm unemployed, but I think I need to go back to High Sierra, and then maybe Photoshop CS5 will work again? Do you have a URL for going back to High Sierra, or do you have some fixes for Photoshop Mojave, (I tried the easier ones, but it still crashes.) I can't reinstall or upgrade my CS5, it was a teacher/student edition and I don't have the original discs anymore. What do you suggest I do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Please tell me where I missed the warnings from Apple."

Here is an example of one of the many articles that were available before (this one more than a year before) Catalina was released:

Although the Cupertino, Calif. company has been warning Mac owners when they run 32-bit applications since April and had told customers in June 2017 that the now-current macOS High Sierra would be among the last editions to support 32-bit apps, no banishment date had been set until this year's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3269007/what-apples-32-bit-app-phase-out-on-mojave-means-to-yo...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly it was YOU that may have Ended your career.

NEVER EVER Upgrade to a new OS on a work, production, computer until you know the pit falls of what will work and what won't.

OK now say "But it's an Apple Mac computer, Everything Just Works". Famous words of inspecter 

Clouseau. Not Anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Dave. But Apple gave their users PLENTY of advanced warnings about this.   You could scarcely open an old app on Mojave without seeing the nag screen reminding you that 32-bit support ended with Mojave. 

Did Adobe make your old software stop working?  No.   Did Apple change how their OS works?  Yes.   Did you do any homework before you upgraded to Catalina?  Evidently not.  So now you must downgrade to your old OS and stay there for the foreseeable future.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could figure out how to go back to the old system, to run your old apps. This happens with every Mac OD upgrade, I am astonished that an experienced user would upgrade without checking. You did this to yourself. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread brings back memories from early in this century when Apple made the drastic change from OS9 to OSX and we had to buy new computers and new software if we wanted to keep working. And so we did.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_10.0

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's any help, Adobe is running a sale through November 29th. $29.99/month for a year. 

It is amazingly cheaper to get the subscription to all the apps than it is to get them individually.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines