• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conversion of macromedia director files

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that I did in Macromedia Diretor in 1995.  I understand that Adobe bought this product.  If there a free program that I can use to convert these files enabling me to read them?

Thanks for your help.

barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't have thought so – very old software; good in its day, but even its successor, Flash, is now obsolete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek.  I guess there is nothing I can do to retrieve the data.  It was a project that I created for a multimedia class that I took.  I actually didn't do the coding aspect.  My ex-partner did.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Get Started forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, .dir is an obsolete project file that only works with Director.  It's not even a video file so there is no way to convert it.  By any chance did you export your Director projects to video?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

This was part of a project that I did for a multimedia class.  My ex-partner took my ideas and was the one who used Director. When we split, he took the finished product with him.  I have the pieces.  I guess the information is lost.    Thanks for your help all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get the emulator macintosh.js , find a copy of Macromedia Director 5, digitize it, install it in the emulator, then put your project in there and have a look at it in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this post was from a few months ago but came across it and will add something.

If you have the DIR (Director source files) even from 1995, they can still be updated now and converted into something else. That would be done with the Director software. I've updated files for people that are 20 years old and have nostalgic connections for the person. There are still a few Director enthusiasts that have the product installed and can update files for others. 

Barb - if this is still needed, you can send me a direct message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Dean_Utian,

Shockwave is dead, folks!

https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/shockwave-end-of-life-faq.html

"Adobe Shockwave is a browser-based multimedia platform for interactive applications and video games. Retiring the Shockwave player for Windows is the last step in a multi-year process: Adobe Director, an authoring tool for Shockwave content, was discontinued on February 1, 2017 and the Shockwave player for macOS was discontinued on March 1, 2017."

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines