Creative Cloud CCXProcess creates hundreds of cscript.exe instances on Windows

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just installed Adobe Creative Cloud today to start working in Premiere Pro. After getting some work done, I restarted my PC to trigger a system update. When I logged back in, my task manager showed that there were literally hundreds of cscript.exe instances running (I counted, at least 200), most using zero CPU, but each using about 30MB memory. After restarting the machine a couple of times, I tracked these processes down to Creative Cloud's CCXProcess - killing it eliminated all of the cscript instances.

So I suppose my question is, are all these cscript processes really necessary when they're clearly not doing anything? Is the CCXProcess important or can it be killed without breaking Creative Cloud?

I've gotten feedback from our engineering group regarding a workaround related to making a minor registry change.

Option 1

1. Download AVGWorkaround.reg file to your desktop - Adobe Creative Cloud
  2. Double click the reg script (AVGWorkaround.reg in attachment) to run
  3. Click "Yes" in the popped up dialog if any, and click "OK"
  4. Restart machine to make sure it takes effect
  5. Check CCX Process in process explorer

Option 2 (This is essentially the same solution for advanced users that are comfortable modifying the registry on their own)

1. Windows > Run 'regedit'
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe, and create key "CCXWelcome"
  3. Under "CCXWelcome", create a value entry named "Disabled" with type being DWORD(32-bit), and value being zero.

This should resolve the issue until we have fully addressed it with AVG.

Thanks,

- Dave

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creative Cloud CCXProcess creates hundreds of cscript.exe instances on Windows

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just installed Adobe Creative Cloud today to start working in Premiere Pro. After getting some work done, I restarted my PC to trigger a system update. When I logged back in, my task manager showed that there were literally hundreds of cscript.exe instances running (I counted, at least 200), most using zero CPU, but each using about 30MB memory. After restarting the machine a couple of times, I tracked these processes down to Creative Cloud's CCXProcess - killing it eliminated all of the cscript instances.

So I suppose my question is, are all these cscript processes really necessary when they're clearly not doing anything? Is the CCXProcess important or can it be killed without breaking Creative Cloud?

I've gotten feedback from our engineering group regarding a workaround related to making a minor registry change.

Option 1

Option 2 (This is essentially the same solution for advanced users that are comfortable modifying the registry on their own)

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe, and create key "CCXWelcome"
  3. Under "CCXWelcome", create a value entry named "Disabled" with type being DWORD(32-bit), and value being zero.

Thanks,

- Dave

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 10, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem for the last week now, and it has effectively shut my computer off from the internet after 20 secs.

The only solution I could find was to remove the Adobe pre-flight items in startup so that it doesn't launch CCXProcess. Then I can go about my business.

I had not seen this post before and thought it was a conflict or possible malware. So I preformed a clean OS install from scratch and slowly included all apps. As soon as I downloaded CCloud and installed it, the whole thing happened again.

CCXProcess launches conhost.exe multiple times, and hundreds of cscript.exe instances appear, freezing the PC and locking down anything connecting to the internet.

Please help Adobe! This only happened in the latest version of CCloud.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the exact same problem, multiple support chats with adobe & my IT manager, only solution has been disabling AVG anti virus. Which seems to have resolved it, albeit temporarily, now its time to find an anti-virus that wont clash with CC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide info about which version of AVG you are using so we can try to recreate the issue? Also, which version of Windows are you using?

Thanks,

- Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AVG CloudCare AntiVirus

Version 16.111.7797

Windows 10 Pro

The cscripts stop spawning after completely shutting AVG down, contrary to the advice of Adobe support that told me to disable two of the Web services only. The issue returned soon after.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AVG Internet Security

Version 16.131.7924

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I reported this issue to our engineering department and they were able to reproduce it. They are working with AVG for a resolution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY! I'm experiencing the same issue. How can I report another issue, one where when I open dreamweaver CC 2017, it kills my internet? I've done a Wireshark trace, but I don't know what to look for/report...

thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option 1

Thanks,

- Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2016 1
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

installed workaround in regedit, until now workaround solution seems to work, thank you!

I had a lot of problems for one month now, even bought a new computer because of this...  renewed user profiles, lost a lot of work, ...

where I can send my Invoice?

will you post it here if a final solution from AVG is available?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, thanks for the information.  I wanted to let you know that I was also experiencing this problem too and I wanted to provide you with more information so that it might be added to your case to help your developers.

I have 2 computers running Windows 10 Pro with all the latest patches and updates.  Both running AVG 16.131.7924 as well.

One computer is pretty new hardware (2 years old) and one computer is pretty old hardware (8 years old).

The new computer does not seem to have the problem, but the old computer does.  Perhaps this could be a hardware related issue as well.  Your workaround fixed the old computer just fine.

Also, on the old computer, apparently when the problem was there, it would prevent Windows Media Player from working.  It would just launch and then hang at "not responding".

Your workaround fixed all my issues.  So you might want to pass this on to your developers and it may help them diagnose the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Karozans1980

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2016 0
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, it is now January 28 of 2017, the problem still exists. I am running Windows 10, all OS updates installed. My computer has very few apps installed at the moment, because I've rebuilt it several times trying to narrow down this issue. Adobe CC installed (though I only use Photoshop). Running AVG, app and all definitions up to date. Without the registry hack, CC creates a zillion instances of cscript.exe and my internet speed declines until computer is unusable.

I would have thought that you would have fixed this by now. If I can provide further info to help resolve this, please let me know. EXTREMELY frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2017 0
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also having this problem. We use Trend for our antivirus and not AVG. Out of 5 PCs running the same software mine is the only one which has the freezing issue. As soon as I stop the CC software everything is back to normal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2017 0