Highlighted

Creative Cloud is always listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud app always seems to be listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks. Is this normal behavior? Is there something that CC is doing in the background that requires it to draw energy? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creative Cloud is always listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud app always seems to be listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks. Is this normal behavior? Is there something that CC is doing in the background that requires it to draw energy? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 31, 2013 5
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Etc,

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Creative Cloud app as a test?

There is an uninstaller in the Creative Cloud folder in Applications after that just reinstall from https://creative.adobe.com/products

-Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'll try this. However, to note - this is a brand new laptop (one of the new MBP Retinas, and a fresh installation).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Listed around 13.48 for average energy impact and 'Yes' for requiring High Performance GPU (which is the GT 750M in my case). This means that my dedicated GPU is being in use the entire time the Creative Cloud application is running...which explains why I'm only getting half the battery performance.

You guys need to urgently release an update that makes this more energy efficient!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 01, 2013 2
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my late 2013 MacBook Pro with GT 750M.

Creative Cloud often appears in the Battery menu and in Activity Monitor with a high energy impact (15.89 at the moment). It also requires the High Perf GPU, which seems totally unnecessary to me – it is sometimes the only app in Activity Monitor's list which requires the high performance GPU, so it must be affecting my battery life as the Creative Cloud app is always open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2013 2
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem Late 2013 macbook pro 15"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled everything; reinstalled CC.app.

Same issue. Overly-high energy impact.

This isn't acceptable. There is no possible reason that an app that's tasked with keeping components up to date requires the High Perf GPU! That's just crappy, lazy, horrible programming.

Come on Adobe. Fix this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2013 1
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, when i have the adobe CC app running it slows down scrolling perfomance in Chrome.

Late 2013 macbook pro retina i7

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2014 0
Participant ,
Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Brand new MacBook, installed Creative Cloud yesterday, and it's constantly using 25% energy while idle.  This laptop doesn't have a GPU, it's Intel 4000 only, so I suppose this high energy usage must be due to CPU cycles only.  Creative Cloud uses about 1.5% CPU all the time when idle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2014 0
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem also on a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina Display, using the very latest version of the Creative Cloud helper app

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem, it's not a Mavericks thing as it was doing it previously, it's using the discrete graphics some times and that's what uses the energy.

It's not consistent either, right now I'm on integrated graphics but randomly it'll switch to discrete with Creative Cloud shown as the dependancy (I use gfxCardStatus to keep an eye on what's happening), I can understand when PhotoShop etc are running but just the installer app???

I asked Adobe on Twitter a couple of months back but it got ignored. Would like an update as I use battery power a fair amount and CC controll app sapping my all important battery power for no good reason is a bit off.

I like the CC concept and how frequently things get updated but perhaps take a few days longer and get things tested in house before you release them, I've only just got CC working again after the last disaster of an update, please take a little care Adobe, this stuff is important to us.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue for me too on a Macbook Air 2012 11". (no dedicated GPU)

Creative Cloud lists as having an Avg. Energy Impact above 9.5.

Other cloud apps such as Google Drive use an avg of 1.4 which is already a lot.

Keeping it closed while on battery for me means going from 4.5 to 5.5~ hours of battery life , It'd be nice if the cloud app wasn't this power hungry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2013 0
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a real issue for me.  I see zero reason why the Creatve Cloud helper app needs to use so much energy as to have Mac OS call it "significant consumption" (when idle - not downloading updates or anything), and even less reason why it should force discreet graphics use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2013 2
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this on my MacBook running Mavericks as well. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times.

I just quit the Creative Cloud app after letting it check for updates, but it's pretty annoying that a do-nothing app consumes such resources when it is idle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2013 1