• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Repair loop (I've done all steps)

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.  I've had the "Creative Cloud needs to be repaired" loop since July. I've gone through all the steps (I detailed them on attached picture).  This is driving me crazy.

Photoshop will close if I leave it alone for too long.  It's completely random... sometimes it only takes 30 minutes before Photoshop closes, sometimes it's 6 hours... there is no pattern (I've had 5 months of observation on this).  But it does appear to be a conflict of some sort plausibly? 

Please see attached picture where I detail the problem.  Thank you.

---Guy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

i've never heard of defrag being a problem until you posted.  it seems more like a defrag problem than it does an adobe problem.

i'd disalbe defrag auto-run it.  manually start defrag when you want but before doing that close all adobe programs.  you might need to quit the cc desktop app, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should probably just skip to a clean reinstall of everything, but if you want to try less aggressive measures you can start with a cc reset.

ftry resetting the cc app: To reset the Creative Cloud desktop app, make sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, try to repair
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails go ahead and uninstall/reinstall per the above link

if that fails, do a clean cc install following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html
then uninstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html
clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html
check for, and if available, update your os
restart your computer (don't skip this)
reinstall the cc desktop app, https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud.
if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)
use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

kglad_0-1608065937866.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE CC PROBLEM DETAILED.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only thing I can try is I'm not 100% sure I restarted between uninstall and reinstall... I might have... But at this point I've already nuked it, so it's only another hour or so to uninstall, restart and reinstall. I'll give that a shot and check back in.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should probably just skip to a clean reinstall of everything, but if you want to try less aggressive measures you can start with a cc reset.

ftry resetting the cc app: To reset the Creative Cloud desktop app, make sure it's in the foreground, then press:

Win: Ctrl + Alt + R
Mac: Cmd + Opt + R

if that fails, try to repair
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

if that fails go ahead and uninstall/reinstall per the above link

if that fails, do a clean cc install following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html
then uninstall the cc desktop app, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html
clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html
check for, and if available, update your os
restart your computer (don't skip this)
reinstall the cc desktop app, https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud.
if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)
use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've now logged another 15 hours on this problem, here's what I've learned:

First of all, this error only occurs when my computer is idle.  When I walk away from Photoshop for short periods of time.

First of all: I don't have screen savers nor does my computer sleep for any reason.   The computer doesn't lock or anything of that sort. HDDs do not park.  Heck, my monitors don't even sleep anymore.

So I set up a GoPro and filmed the computer with Task Manager open on the other screen.

For pass 1: the error occured after 24 minutes and three seconds of idleness from the computer.  It seemed like the only process running at the time was a defragmentation process. 

Pass 2 the error happened after 21 minutes and 49 seconds. Again the Defrag was running at that point.

Pass 3 happened after only seven minutes and 35 seconds. But this time, though the Defrag was running, it wasn't the TOP program...

What I DID see, though was that just before every error all of the currently running process icons in the Taskbar flickered out and then turned back on.  As soon as the Photoshop icon clicked back on in the taskbar, we got the "Would you like to save before closing?" message box.

Looking back at all of the other passes, I saw the same thing happen:  the icons all blinked out and then came back a second later and the save dialogue box popped up as soon as Photoshop's icon clicked back on.

So I looked that up and it seems that flickering is due to the Microsoft Feedback App.  I uninstalled the feedback app and stopped all reporting processes from Microsoft then restarted the computer.

This worked to stop the flickering... but unfortunately pass 4 and 5 both proved that the crash still occurs. Pass 4 happened at 25 minutes and 4 seconds and pass 5 happened at 21 minutes and 13 seconds.

I am fairly convinced something in Windows is conflicting with the CC authentication server in some way... 

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you disable defragmentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... I had sort of dismissed that as one of the 5 passes didn't show the defragmenter in the top position on the Task Manager when the crash occured... however, I totally took your suggestion and we are at 10 hours now without a crash (I left Photoshop open all night as a test).  Also, the CC app is running just fine and hasn't crashed, either (It was doing the "needs to be repaired" loop issue earlier as well).

So... before I close this.  Obviously I can't just not use Disk Defragmentation.   Is this something that is an Adobe issue or a Windows issue?  What do we think? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've never heard of defrag being a problem until you posted.  it seems more like a defrag problem than it does an adobe problem.

i'd disalbe defrag auto-run it.  manually start defrag when you want but before doing that close all adobe programs.  you might need to quit the cc desktop app, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Neither have I.  And the fact that I've gone through all the steps here (many times) to no avail makes me even MORE suspicious of the Defrag program.  I've had other strange anomolies as well (window focus suddenly being taken away, line tool in Clip Studio and Photoshop suddenly putting the pen down mid-line, etc).  I wonder if this is simply a defective app in my copy of Windows? 

Anyway, Thank you for your suggestion! I appreciate the help! For now I'll simply schedule a manual defrag every so often to keep things clean and then take this issue to Microsoft. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i didn't even think i was using defrag.  i used to manually run it (~win95 or earlier) religiously.

but i just checked and it's running automatically on a weekly basis, unbeknownst to me until a few minutes ago.  it last ran 2 days ago and i've not seen any problems so maybe there is a problem with your defrag.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aye.  Me too. Ah the halcyon days of Win 95.... 

Strangely, that's what the defrag said on mine as well (Last run about 3 days ago), but looking at Task Manager, it was clearly running all the time... especially when I'm idle.  So yeah, I'm guessing something is very borked with my defrag.  That said, perhaps if someone else sees this thread and has the same problem, it might help:

For those folks:  Go to the Start bar and search for "Defragment and Optimize Drive" and turn off "Scheduled Optimization".  It does mean you'll have to manually run it... But check to see if that helps. 

Again, thank you for your help on this.  I certainly appreciate it.  This was 5 months of serious frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you see that runs all the time?

if i open defrag i see

Screenshot - 12_25_2020 , 6_58_01 AM.png

defragging and analzing are so fast i can't locate it in the running processes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check...

Sadly, this morning I awoke to this:2020-12-25-Adobe Problem.jpg

So I guess that didn't fix it... 😞 

I'll take a look at Task Manager a little later (It's Christmas Morning) and see if I can't see what's going down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, to put a cap on all of this.  It's been seven days since the reinstall and so far, I haven't had to type in my username and password.  Maybe we are good?  I mean, I hate to jinx myself, but so far everything looks like it's running just fine...? 

Thanks again!

---A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's good to hear.  (and you're welcome.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines