Creative Cloud selected "Auto-update" and "Always keep Creative Cloud up to date" w/out user input?

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the short story-length post. And I hope this is the right forum. Tech support told me it was, but I'm not sure.

I've tried chat help and submitting bug reports and basically gone nowhere with them besides receiving answers , and posting here is the only thing tech support has suggested at this point.I don't know if this was an isolated incident or what.

I received a new computer less than 2 months ago and downloaded my CC to it. I don't care for having immediate program updates, as it can prevent me opening programs when I need them, and I prefer to give new updates a few weeks for any potential bug patches. So, when CC was installed on this computer, I basically went through and deselected every option to automatically update that I could find.

Since my workload has been consistently busy, I have not updated CC in several weeks. Last week, I began having a bug with my version of InDesign that was making it virtually unusable, so I opened my Cloud and told it to download the new 2021 version of ID. Instead of doing that, it activated updates of every program I have installed, and I had to go through and cancel every one of them except the one I wanted. When I returned the following morning, I discovered multiple other programs had updated, and I had to go and again cancel more that were trying to update and slowing down my system. As a result, I have a LOT of custom gradients, actions, et cetera from Photoshop that are completely lost. I've tried tech support to find potential recovery of those in temp files, but they are gone. This post is not about that - while I'm beyond frustrated with that, any help support I've tried has told me they're lost at this stage.

Obviously, this sudden update and resulting loss of items left me extremely frustrated. Discussing in bug reports/tech support chat have found that my "Always keep Creative Cloud up to date" in my General preferences, and my "Auto-Update" in the Apps preferences were both turned on, despite these being options I specifically turned off when I installed Cloud. I was told that there was a pop-up window with an update "months ago," that asks the user if they want auto-updates on. Again, I haven't had this computer for months. Any questions about automatically updating when I first installed would have been denied, and again, I went through after instalaliton and deselected automatic updates at that point.

Is this re-selecting of auto-updates a known glitch, or a one-off bug on my part? Do I literally have to go in every day and make sure they haven't reselected now? This loss of customized items has left me paranoid.

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've have auto-update apps unselected since cc was introduced years ago and it's never been reset.

i have always keep cc updated selected so i can't say anything about resets of it (other than it's remained selected).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest version of CC Desktop App?  I'm on 5.3.1.470. 

Like you, I have turned off auto-updates for the various apps but I keep CC desktop App updated because in my experience some things will not work right if you don't. 

The Update all link will of course update everything.  I never touch that button.  I always update selectively, one blue update button at a time.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do. 5.3.1.470 - I'm not sure at this point if I did at the time, or if updating to it was part of the mass updates that I didn't select, that happened while I was away from the computer. I had wanted to hold off updating programs until I had preferences and such saved in apps, just in case, but obviously that's too late now.

I have never touched that Update All button, either. My problems arose when I selected the InDesign update only and chose to update that. That's when the system tried to update all my programs at once and began this whole mess.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today March 19 2021, same thing happend to my adobe. I never selected AUTO update. Just woke up and realized auto update was on in Creative Cloud and it automatically updated my After Effects and lost all of the plugin and scripts. Have to do all over again. This is ridiculous. I hope Adobe team does something about this bug in their Creative Cloud. I will report as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

do you have a team/enterprise subscription?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines