• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 serial number not working on High Sierra

New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I have an issue with my serial key while trying to install my old CS4. I have to wipe my comp and reinstall High Sierra from scratch. The software now says the key is invalid, I tried all the available advice, contacted customer support, tried to instal from original cds as well as from installers given me by the customer support, tried cleaning up the disk with the adobe cleaner tool, inputting the number after instalation of a trial version, even creating a different account on my comp. Nothing seems to be able to fix it. I know the serial number is fine and Adobe say it should be working in principle, but they run out of ideas what might be wrong apart from "system - software incompatibility". Any other advice please? It was working fine on this comp with Sierra before, really don't know what could be the problem...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which application(s)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a CS4 Design Premium Student Edition License, in particular I would want the Illustator and Photoshop to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I would think they are EOL – End of Life (12 years old).

Time to consider upgrading to the Photography Plan  – it includes the latest version of Photoshop 2020 (and upgrades as they become available)  plus Lightroom and storage for around $10 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just such a pity as it was working fine before and was perfectly sufficient for my purposes... Thanks for the advice though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Illustrator is not part of the Photography Plan.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>reinstall High Sierra from scratch... was working fine before

If you had the software installed and then upgrade your operating system, your problem MAY be that the very old CS4 installer is not working properly with the 'out of range' operating system

I don't do Mac, but I have seen similar messages on the Windows side where an old program worked when a computer was upgraded to Win10, but the program would not install/work when trying to install after an operating system reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I think that's the issue. Adobe support really tried to help me, but literally run out of ideas. I guess I would need to roll back quite a bit to get it to work again and then update after installation... Very tedious though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Get Started forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat36,

#1 Your student serial number is attached to the original media you received at purchase. It won't work with trial downloads.  If you don't have the original disks, you're out of luck.  

#2 CS4 was released in 2008.  I assume you have graduated since then?  So it's possible your student serial number expired.  Or possibly the vendor who sold you the student license went out of business and the licenses they sold were revoked.  A lot can happen in 12 years.

Creative Suite is no longer legally sold by any vendor, retailer or country.

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop or Premier Elements 2020 (approx $100, no subscription needed)
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 1 year subscription)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps Plan (31 + apps & services)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

===========
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 I do have the original disks and tried to install from them initially.

#2 The students' license as I understand it applies to purchasing, not using. So the SN number at least according to Abode support should work in principle, they haven't revoked it. I think the problem is with the operating system, as mentioned above... It works on it, but just won't be installed on it for some reason.

Thanks for the additional info, I need to consider other options, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legacy Creative Suite installers are not supported by Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave.  You must use terminal workarounds.   See link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines