• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 suddenly requires sign in after 7 years - i have never used an adobe ID with it before

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on a grant-funded project from 2013 through 2018. we had the full creative suite purchased for the grant staff on grant-owned computers. when we upgraded machines the licenses were moved over to the new machines and the old machines were disposed of.

when the grant ended, the staff were given their latest macs and the installed software as a thank you gift (i guess to help ease the sting of our pinks slips). I have been using this CS6 since then and have never had an issue.

Today I try to open Illustrator and I get an adobe sign-in request I have literally never seen before. I have NEVER had to sign in, ever, once. These were individual copies of CS6 installed by our IT and purchased for each staff member. Not only do I not have ANY adobe ID that is (or would have been) associated with the serial number, I do not have the serial number because it is only visible AFTER you open the software. TBH, I never thought I'd need to note it down.

Can anyone explain why this occurred and how to get my software working again?

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will GUESS that the company bought a site license, and that license has now been cancelled

revoked volume number https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Feeling-cheated-CS6-serial-number-revoked/td-p/9807405

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the inisght. On one level that makes sense, at least as to the mechanism of dosbling the software but the reason why is still baffling to me.

The thing that confuses me is that our grant was run through a major univeristy, two actually, as well as being funded by the MacFound, Facebook Foundation, and Mozilla foundation. Our University bought the licenses on behalf of the grant, and these are all well esteablished entities. My understanding was they bought direct from Adobe as well....

I'm not sure how a liciense from a legit vendor (Adobe direct) bought via a legit organization can be revoked. Isn't software supposed to be owned in perpetuity?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect someone tried out a Creative Cloud app (possibly including Acrobat DC). These take over CS6 licensing, and it's a bit of a mess. Uninstalling the Creative Cloud app leaves the mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. And given the adobe track record with the CC rollout, it makes perfect sense. I cannot even with Adobe and this stuff. People who paid outright (or were gifted one-time fee software) should not be subject to that disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder, could it be another user on the same machine? My kids use this box to play MC.
Maybe they clicked a CC ad banner while online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines