• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install [not Download] to External Hard Drive

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to put my photography apps on an external hard drive to free up space on my desk top hard drive.  How can I install [not download] the apps (Photoshop and Lightroom) to the external drive?

[Words edited to actual meaning... Moderator]

[Download is to copy from a web site to a computer]

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Deleted User
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Agreed.  I haven't downloaded/installed adobe programs on anything other than my external hard drive for the entire time I've had Adobe CC.  Not sure why people say you can't.
Just go to your creative cloud program, preferences, creative cloud, then under apps you'll see install location.  Click to change.  Set as a folder within your external hard drive.  Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Hello,

I had this issue and just managed to fix it by changing my external hard drive format. My original format was Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and would not download. I erased my external hard drive and formatted it to ExFAT and now it allows me to change the installation location to the external hard drive. 

You can find what format your external hard drive by:

Disk Utility > your external hard-drive name > Below the icon and the name of your drive will say a format type like AFFS or Mac OS Ext

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have already installed you will need to uninstall first

-Install on non-boot drive https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/moving-ps-and-lr-classic-from-internal-hd-to-an-external-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure the OP mentioned installing. Maybe he meant just downloading.

Also I think you can install Adobe products on an external drive, yes of course they will stop working when the drive is removed or when it is plugged back and the letter changes (in Windows). However it has to be seen if the installer allows this to happen at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  I haven't downloaded/installed adobe programs on anything other than my external hard drive for the entire time I've had Adobe CC.  Not sure why people say you can't.
Just go to your creative cloud program, preferences, creative cloud, then under apps you'll see install location.  Click to change.  Set as a folder within your external hard drive.  Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know this was written awhile ago but for me when I change the location of my apps to my external drive it keeps installing in the Applications folder (on Mac). I have contacted Adobe and they said that it wasn't possible to install on an external drive. How did you install it on there? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I have a Macbook Air and I was able to change the location of where I could install Photoshop to my external hard drive. I went to the Creative Cloud App, clicked on top left settings, preferences, apps, install location, and I added a folder called "Photoshop" in my external hard drive for my installation location. I think creating the folder in your external hard drive is key as it wouldn't let me change the installation location until i did that. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that the aforementioned method works. THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its one of those things that too simple to work but it did! Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I used the aforementioned method to successfully install Photoshop onto my external harddrive! I was wondering if anyone knows what happens to links and such when you disconnect your harddrive and reconnect it to the same computer? Are all the links missing or do they find themselves again? Do you all save your links onto the harddrive? 

Thanks so much, this has been a life and space saver!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leedan, Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering this too. I don't have much space on my mac, and keep deleting apps and files left and right. I bought an external HDD, but have heard that an SSD might work faster. As an architect student, I need a lot of heavy softwares, and have heard that people have been able to download stuff through external SSDs, I just need to know if I'll have an issue in the case off needing to eject the the SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(...) and have heard that people have been able to download stuff through external SSD (...)

By @jrami302

DOWNLOADING has never been a problem. Installing the apps on the external disk is not recommended, as it may break the OS. I know that some laptops come with tiny SSD boot disks, I, personally, would not buy such a device if I intend doing more than office work.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can´t install on the root. This simple Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are an angel. Thank you! Tho now it won't download saying I don't have enough space on my external hard drive when 1.31 terrabytes as just chilling there unused. I'll figure something out thank you still.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RawMeaty 

check @DAYNA ALICE26557294f8iy's suggestion.  it's a key for mac drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU LIFE SAVER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this. does not. work. It has never worked. what are you even talking about? whenever you switch to an removable/external drive it tells you "no." because it destroys the desktop icons and taskbar links, which is a small price to pay to be able to download the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this. does not. work. It has never worked. what are you even talking about? whenever you switch to an removable/external drive it tells you "no." because it destroys the desktop icons and taskbar links, which is a small price to pay to be able to download the app.

By @TheWhillieHotDog5F98

Who are you talking to? People here confirmed that it works.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that as soon as you create a folder within your external hard drive, creative cloud will install. If you try to assign the hard drive as a destination without a folder, it will not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the key.  You have to select a folder that is on your external drive.  You cannot set the downloads to save directly on the drive, cannot save on root drive.  Create a folder or use one you have that is appropriate and it will allow the change...

I was having some trouble and this post fixed it.  It is just one of those little things..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a folder and attempted to change install location several times to no avail. I don't think this will work for me unfortunately. Anyone else tried everything and it still didn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What message do you now get? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as Iria. I get "Unable to be installed at this location."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had this issue and just managed to fix it by changing my external hard drive format. My original format was Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and would not download. I erased my external hard drive and formatted it to ExFAT and now it allows me to change the installation location to the external hard drive. 

You can find what format your external hard drive by:

Disk Utility > your external hard-drive name > Below the icon and the name of your drive will say a format type like AFFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). 

To change your external hard drive format follow these steps:

Disk Utility > Your external hard drive name > Right click and press Erase ( this will get rid of everything on the external drive so make sure to back-up somewhere else ) > Under Format choose ExFAT > Erase 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines