• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folder Icons

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an admittedly silly issue. When I look at my folder icons in C:/Program Files/Adobe I note that some have nifty folder icons and some do not. How can I get them all to look nifty? I presume there's some sort of dll being referenced that has them all contained therein, but I can't seem to locate it.Untitled-1.jpg

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

You can assume that it is the product installation that sets the icon. I suppose that this is a new gimmick that Adobe uses as it works a) also on Windows 7 and b) only some of the products are using this feature. It is not e feature, however, where I would put much effort in. I really rarely go looking in those install directories.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google your os and how to change folder icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know how to change the folder icons. I just don't know where Adobe is storing the bespoke icons it uses for all of its products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

navigate to the respective install directories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the programs that do have the nifty folder icon, I can not find that particular icon in, for instance, C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019. I presume I'm looking for a *.dll file but none of them in that directory seem correct. Clicking on the folders that do look right don't really illuminate the issue as there's nothing in the properties dialog that indicates where those icons are being pulled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the exe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can see the icons there now. Unfortunately, we I select an icon to change my folder to, nothing happens. What's interesting is that I have Adobe installed on my laptop and my workstation. The exact same apps have the nifty folder icons on both (AE, Aud, Br, AME, PS, and PPro). I wonder if the others just don't have that feature? At any rate, for illustrator, for instance, I can select the icon, but when I apply it, the folder doesn't change...it stays the same generic Win10 icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can assume that it is the product installation that sets the icon. I suppose that this is a new gimmick that Adobe uses as it works a) also on Windows 7 and b) only some of the products are using this feature. It is not e feature, however, where I would put much effort in. I really rarely go looking in those install directories.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the folder icon by right clicking in the folder and choose properties. Go to security and click add. Add users and change the users permission to allow Modify

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure this discussion is stilll open.

So you want to change the icon of a folder you need to find the actual ".ico" file.

This can be found inside the directory of the file icon you want to use.

So for example you want to change a folder icon to the Photoshop one.

you would need to go to `"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\"`

Then you need to find the "Desktop.ini" file because that file is incharge of telling the computer to change the file icon.

This is a system file so it would be hidden.

to find the file you could go to the address bar and type `"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\desktop.ini"`

and that should bring up a notepad window.

In that window it should have the location of the icon file.

just copy that address and there you have the picture you want to use.

To then change the icon of the folder just copy that "Desktop.ini" file and paste it inside the directory you want to change the folder icon to.

-Oli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an account just to thank you for to put effort in bring this answer even some time ago. It was exactly what I was looking for and google couldn't help to understand it. People like you change some others days 🙂

Now everytime I know something I'll  work to share it instead hold for myself thinking that would be silly or too late....Wish you good vibes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I saw the icons in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Keyfiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines