• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting error 43 when trying to update Creative Cloud.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I attempt to update the Creative Cloud app, it sticks at 71% and shows an error reading "Installer was unable to access a critical file/directory. Please try installing again.(Error code: 43)." I've tried multiple times, and even after a system restart and a permissions repair I get the same error. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

I went through the rounds on this issue with chat support. I will list the steps and also the chat session we had here:

Steps:

1. open activity monitor and close all Adobe related applications
  2. navigate to: /Library/Application support/Adobe
  3. In that directory you will see a folder named OOBE - Rename that folder to OOBEold
  4. Navigate to: MAC HD /Application/Utilities directory
  5. In there you will see a folder called "Adobe Application Manager" - delete it
  6. Download the Adobe Cleaner Tool from here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems/_jcr_content/main-pars/accordion_container_1/accordion-par/accordion-item-1/accordion-item-par/procedure/proc_par/step_3/step_par/download/file.res/AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link for Download & Install & Setup & Activation problems may help

-Online Chat http://www.adobe.com/support/download-install/supportinfo/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will adobe be issuing a fix for this or is the only solution to go through a painfully slow online chat service..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Did you solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the only solution is to go through the chat support. They will have you go through the process of uninstalling, running a "cleaner" tool to remove past sessions, and the reinstall the desktop Creative Cloud app.

Extremely obnoxious and slow, (my chat session is lasting about 30 minutes so far... if these things were readily available I could have done this in about 4-5 minutes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>if these things were readily available

Cloud Getting Started https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud.html

Discussions of RE-installing

-Sign out fix http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1408331?tstart=0

-On a new drive http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1398961?tstart=0

-and http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/install-apps.html

-using the cleaner after uninstalling and before reinstalling will usually help

-http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my problem (and it's the 2nd time it happened), thank you.

But I wonder how can this be the operating procedure for Adobe Creative Cloud, which has a monopoly on professional graphic software. Options are stumbling across a user posted solution or having tech support take over your computer... really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the rounds on this issue with chat support. I will list the steps and also the chat session we had here:

Steps:

1. open activity monitor and close all Adobe related applications
  2. navigate to: /Library/Application support/Adobe
  3. In that directory you will see a folder named OOBE - Rename that folder to OOBEold
  4. Navigate to: MAC HD /Application/Utilities directory
  5. In there you will see a folder called "Adobe Application Manager" - delete it
  6. Download the Adobe Cleaner Tool from here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems/_jcr_content/main-pa...
  7. Open the Cleaner Tool and choose to clean "Creative Cloud" only.
  8. Download and install Creative Cloud again - https://ccmdls.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/KCCC/1/osx10/CreativeCloudInstaller.dmg

Support Chat Session:

Thank you for contacting Adobe.
A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Soibam'

Soibam: Hello. Welcome to Adobe Technical Support.

Soibam: Hi Josiah,

Josiah Wallingford: hello

Soibam: I have received your query. Please allow me a moment to verify your account and to review the details of your request.

Soibam: Thank you for staying online.

Soibam: I understand that you are unable to update the Creative Cloud desktop application as you are getting error code 43. Is that correct?

Josiah Wallingford: that is correct

Soibam: Thank you for confirming the issue. I will be glad to check and help you with that.

Soibam: May I know the exact error message you are getting while trying to update the product?

Soibam: May I know the complete exact error message you are getting while trying to update the product?*

Josiah Wallingford: I will have to run it again to get the error. One moment

Soibam: Sure.

Josiah Wallingford: Installing Update... 71% Installer was unable to access a critical file/directory. Please try installing again.(Error code: 43) Contact Customer Support

Soibam: Thank you for the information.

Soibam: Josiah, We will try performing some troubleshooting steps. Lets work together to resolve the issue.

Josiah Wallingford: sounds good Soibam

Soibam: Please quit the CC desktop application, close all Adobe processes from Activity monitor, re-launch it and try updating it.

Josiah Wallingford: I already did that with the last tech... it gave us the same error

Soibam: Please open Finder > Go > Utilities > Activity Monitor.

Soibam: Okay.

Josiah Wallingford: after we tried that we got disconnected

Soibam: Thank you for the information Josiah

Soibam: Please again close all Adobe applications including Creative Cloud desktop application from Activity monitor.

Josiah Wallingford: okay

Josiah Wallingford: okay done

Soibam: Then, Rename  Adobe Application Manager, OOBE folder.

Soibam: Open Finder > Go > Go to Folder > type  /Library > Application support  > Adobe folder.

Josiah Wallingford: okay

Soibam: Please let me know if you have any difficulties in locating the folders.

Josiah Wallingford: I found it

Soibam: Great.

Josiah Wallingford: now what?

Soibam: Rename another OOBE folder

Soibam: Navigate to Finder > Go > Go to Folder > type ~/Library > Application support > Adobe folder.

Josiah Wallingford: I am in that folder. I see a folder in there called "OOBE". What would you like me to rename it to?

Soibam: Rename OOBE to OOBEold.

Soibam: Yes, you are correct.

Josiah Wallingford: done

Soibam: After that, Delete the Adobe application manager, Creative Cloud  folder from MAC HD > Application > Utilities.

Josiah Wallingford: done

Soibam: Now, we will run Cleaner Tool. I will provide you the link to download the Cleaner Tool..

Soibam: Please click here.

Soibam: Double-click AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.zip to extract the

Soibam: AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool.dmg.

Josiah Wallingford: okay it is open... should I choose "Clean All"?

Soibam: Please choose Creative Cloud only.

Soibam: Please remove Creative Cloud desktop application and try installing the CC Desktop application.

Josiah Wallingford: okay done

Soibam: Now, try installing the CC Desktop application.

Josiah Wallingford: Install it from where?

Soibam: I will provide you the direct download link for CC Desktop Apps.

Soibam: Please click here to download CC Desktop Apps.

Josiah Wallingford: It is installing

Josiah Wallingford: okay it is installed... is that the latest version?

Josiah Wallingford: its not asking me to update any longer

Soibam: Please launch CC Desktop Apps and see if you are able to see CC 2014.

Josiah Wallingford: I see them. They are wanting to be updated.

Soibam: Please click on update.

Josiah Wallingford: okay it is updating... looks like this will take a while

Josiah Wallingford: I will get back in touch if I have further issues.

Soibam: Sure, I will keep the case open for your convenience so that you can contact us back if you still have the same issue.

Josiah Wallingford: great. thank you

Soibam: Your case number is ************

Soibam: You can refer to the case number to contact us back.

Josiah Wallingford: Got it. Have a good day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JosiahWallingford - thanks heaps, your steps worked for me.

CC kept annoying me with an administrator error message every few minutes so I updated (there was no option to cancel/stop) so have now wasted a couple of hours trying to fix an issue caused by some sort of collaboration tools update - for which I have no need for.

Unlike others, I'm all for CC but I don't think it's license to push updates and features without allowing people to opt-out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @JosiahWallingford! This seemed to be the most helpful. Got rid of the problem and CC is running again! I spent an hour or more trying to find answers from Adobe site, before I found this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2014 Aug 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

: Solve my problem! Really helpfull!

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the fix for me!  Thanks for going through all the pain and suffering with tech support.  Bless you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works!

thanks a lot !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much obliged for cutting through the chase and helping all of us "manage" Adobe's buggy cloud software.

A small side note for all the others out there: After a fresh install of CC desktop manager, it is re-updating Illustrator CC 2015 again, even though that was the first app I updated from CC 2014, all of 24 hours ago. I will just let it run its course, but I feel like these smaller side-car apps (it used to be Adobe Extension Manager that always failed to update itself) just get short shrift from the coding wizards at the Adobe mother ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

: It works for me, too - thank you so much!!!!

Without sharing this, I`d wasting a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve this error on my mac by doing the following:

1. Quit the Adobe Creative Cloud and any adobe apps that are running
  2. Download the Create Cloud Installer (CreativeCloudInstaller.dmg)
  3. Changed the permissions on the [HD] > Library > Application Support > Adobe directory to Read-Write for Everyone (I'm not sure this step is necessary but I had changed the permissions on my previous attempt to resolve the error)
  4. Run the Creative Cloud Installer that you downloaded in step 2
  5. Restore the original permissions of the [HD] > Library > Application Support > Adobe directory (mine was originally set to read only for Everyone)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LadyTMarie's fix worked fine for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JosiahWallingfordthis worked for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact problem and here's how I solved it:

1. Open finder and navigate to  [Macintosh HD]/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  2. Right-click on the Adobe folder and select "Get Info"
  3. At the very bottom, unlock the lock icon and enter your password
  4. Change the permission so it is Read-Write for Everyone
  5. Click the Gear icon and select "Apply to enclosed items..."
  6. Re-run the Update Creative Cloud Installer.

When I followed these step, it installed perfectly!  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing this, many of forum users will be benefit from this.

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having trouble even downloading the app in the first place use this link. Works for Windows 7 Home 64 bit. Not sure about other version. Hope this helps!

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager : Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this on two machines now - possibly after an OS-X update and I think the solution is much simpler than following all the convoluted steps about running cleaner tools and all that stuff (none of which worked for me!).

I think the installer just needs permission to write to a folder in /Library/Application Support and Michael pretty much explained how to resolve it already further down the thread - so just wanted to iterate this worked perfectly for me - none of the other more complex solutions did!

1. Open finder and navigate to  [Macintosh HD]/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  2. Right-click on the Adobe folder and select "Get Info"
  3. At the very bottom, unlock the lock icon and enter your password
  4. Change the permission so it is Read-Write for Everyone
  5. Click the Gear icon and select "Apply to enclosed items..."
  6. Re-run the Update Creative Cloud Installer.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's definitely a permissions problem but I don't know why it would have changed. I made several attempts as the local admin to reinstall Creative Cloud only to get the error 43 message. I then logged in with my domain admin account and was able to successfully reinstall the apps.

Kent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the steps in this forum and kept getting the error. I finally chatted with support and they were able to log in to my computer (with permission) and fix it for me - took less than 15 minutes. I had spent two weeks trying to solve this on my own. Next time, I'm going to give up a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I keep getting the error, have tried everything, watched a video, changed all the things. Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines