• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I stop Adobe processes from running in the background?

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have been an Adobe user since college and still haven't found a solution for this. I have disabled all Adobe-related processes under Task Manager > Startup. I have "automatically check for updates" disabled in Creative Cloud Desktop. I also having any/all syncing turned off.

Still, when booting up my computer there are several Adobe processes running in the task manager. I did not start up any of Adobe's applications. No processes should be running unless I start one of the programs or open Creative Cloud. Even long after I have opened/closed a program, processes continue to run.

It makes no sense to me that any of these processes should be running if none of the applications are in use. I read here in the forums that Adobe needs to "check" to make sure you own the software. Sure, but can it please do that when I'm actually opening up the software? Why does it have to constantly run in the background?

If anyone has any ideas, please share. I am so tired of having to manually End Task all of Adobe's processes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation. On macOS. I use Lightroom once or twice a month to tweak a photo. I have disabled everything in the Creative Cloud application that requires it to do anything. Still, everytime I check to see what processes are hogging my resources, there are a few processes like "Core Sync" etc etc processes running and the colourful Adobe Desktop Service is still there. I don't have limitless resources on my machine. I want to use it for what I want to use it. 

I don't want to resort to actualy having to uninstall Adobe's software just to get it to stop running. What is the point of settings like "Don't start up on login" if it doesn't actually do that? I'm a few days away from uninstalling the software. I don't use if often enough to waste so many hours trying to get it to stop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal. If you block any services things may fail. You can experiment if you like, but be sure you are prepared for the risks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a similar solution for W10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem on Windows 8.1 and 10 with Adobe and other programs randomly showing up in task manager taking over the computer and causing issues. I solved it by opening task manager, clicking on the services tab, clicking on the offending program (I believe any program would suffice) and choosing 'open services'. You can also open services my clicking the Windows button + R and typing in 'services.msc'. Once you're in services, click on the adobe program or whatever you're having issues with and then click on properites. It will bring up the option not to run automatically and to run manually or diable. Then click on apply and okay. So far, this has solved the problem for me of Adobe and other programs hogging resources on startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't solve the issue for me, especially on W11 as the adobe stuff now also installs a WSA version (android on W11) updater so disabling services, startup listings etc. didn't kill everything. Adobe background tasks still loaded and didn't even show in these areas. I ended up getting more techy and altering machine policies to stop it. Windows wise, *insert favourite search engine here* and search for CCStopper. It;s not 100% but kills 99% of all known germs. Dead. 🤣🤣

I also found that if you use nothing else, and open Adobe DC, it calls a sync program in the background as well as a background updater that don't close after closing DC. I created EXE files to replace the adobe ones that are called instead thus preventing DC calling it's own background tasks. I'm sure I'll have to replace them IF I update but once you know where they are, it's an easy stop. 

The thing that finally swayed me over to another publisher *coughaffinity* was that adobe have triggered machine tasks that run adobe software in the background which DO NOT show up in startup settings or services.msc. I found this to be just too underhanded for me as they are then running background tasks that you have no choice over unless you delve into W11 far deeper than the general public are capable of. Ultimately, I want to choose what software I run on my PC and if you use anything Adobe, you lose that choice unless you're very techy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this post. I will try CCStopper.

It's just awful, I'm working on a new PowerLaptop and Adobe CC slows down Win11 UI immensely. I don't even want to know how many people buy a new computer because of the resource hunger of many unnecessary services. You don't have even a chance to cancel or remove them, without deeper understanding.

"Ultimately, I want to choose what software I run on my PC" - agree completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have win10 and have the same issue, has anyone found how to stop these services from running unless an app is in use? I am not even able to stop them in the task manager or start they just turn back on. I have also set them in CC but they override and start again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's actually getting worse.  I had an issue and was working with Adobe Tech support.  He had to turn off all the processes, there were over 20, this after closing photoshop.  Probably included other Adobe stuff, but nothing was open.

Adobe: all we want is to stop those processes sucking up resources when we are not using your product. That desire does not impact your profit margin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is it going to take to get this issue responded to, it has been years and not one response from Adobe? 

I am not even able to stop these services manually, they just start right back up, ignoring all settings I set in windows and in CC desktop. I do use CC but I do not want it to start and run all the time, it is just not needed! If anyone has found a soulution for this per Win10 please share, because Adobe is not listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is crazy. What I don't get is why there are multiple instances of the same processes running when no images are open. Why multiple instances of CEP Helper and CEP HTML Engine? Two of Collaboration Sync and Genuine Software. Isn't one enough? I have turned off auto updates. And the multiplication continues when Bridge, InDesign, and Illustrator are open, too… 16 instances of Edge with only one tab open. Sigh.

JainLemos_0-1645576759249.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what's running when all apps are closed and I'm completely signed out (Quit) of CC Desktop:

JainLemos_0-1645577373516.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's getting worse.  Not only do most just pop back up when you turn them off in Task Manager, some won't even shut down.  I have all Adobe processes stopped in Services but it doesn't matter.  You have to go to Detail and do it again one by one.  I'm pretty much a free market guy but this (being unable to leave everything shut off until they're called for) shouldn't be legal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Sometimes when my computer seems to be running slow I'll open the task manager and "End Task" them all one by one. It's such a pain to have to do this manually. No Adobe processes should be running at any time unless I have one of their applications open, it's that simple. But it appears they don't care as nobody has responded to this thread since I posted it 2 years ago. 🙂 I keep hoping someone will find a workaround or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The underlying Adobe processes act essentially like Trojans.  They are hidden deep in the software and cannot be detected.  All you have to do is turn your computer on and they take over. Try it: stop all the Adobe processes.  Not just in Task Manager, but in Serices and Details as well. So no Adobe stuff is active, right?  Restart your computer and go to Task Manger.  Surprise, they're back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any place to get help with this issue? I don't want to have to go to task manger to kill these every time I start up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @brandybl0ndy If you are having consistent trouble running Adobe apps, and you think it's because of these background processes, then contact Adobe support. In studying them for some time now, the pattern of when and why they show up, and to what degree, is not evident. I have 64GB of installed RAM, and a 2TB disk drive, so these processes aren't slowing me down or crashing my system. But I know other systems are struggling, as was my six-year-old computer before I upgraded in April of this year (see my February post above). If this is what you are experiencing, there are some system optimizations you can try. Here's how to contact support. Let us know how it goes!

You can reach Adobe by chat or phone:

For chat support, make sure you are signed in with your Adobe ID.

— Look up your current plans here: https://account.adobe.com.

— Type AGENT in the chat box to bypass the automatic chatbot and be connected to a live person.

— Chat Link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

To call Adobe, search this list for the support phone number in your country:

— Phone List: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem running any Adobe product, my issue is that I do not want or need all the background services related to Adobe running when I have not even opened an Adobe App. They should only run as they are needed not from the time I start my system. No matter how much or how little they require to run it is wasting my resources and I just want an easy way to allow them to start only if I am in an Adobe product. I have all the things set to disable (they still ran) My only fix was to remove each app out of the program folder to hide it from sytem which is not the best fix if I need the cloud. It does work and it maybe all that can be done

If there is another way help I love Adobe and hate that this is such a big issue I hope that a complete rewrite is soon and not just an update so things can be written more reasonable in consern for the consumers system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user forums.  you can try to suggest some things to adobe.

for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have disabled Adobe and its updaters etc from starting at boot up but they still appear in the background despite not opening  anything Adobe.

I like many of Adobe's products but this behavior is little better than a virus. Seriously. The excuse is to have them running full-time to shave a few seconds of start up time?

The other question is, why? SO many complaints on here about this issue. Yet they refuser to fix it. Which makes one wonder why not? Are they harvesting data about users' web/app activities to be mined and sold?

This has me seriously looking for alternatives. There are free ones out there that don't have these headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RandomCreativeName 

i don't think it's anything nefarious.  it's the way adobe has always done things: untidy (to be polite) software installations with lots of uncontrollable (by any adobe setting) processes.

i don't know if it's a cultural thing (but i doubt it) or it's a legacy issue (which imo is more likely) with adobe engineers building new software or new software versions starting from an already developed platform (and that platform carries all the installation and background processes problems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since a few days (i never had the issue before) when i close Lightroom i cannot start it again. In Task Manager i see a Background Process Adobe Lightroom that is still consuming CPU. When i end that task i can start LR again. This is not normal!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is related to the one we are discussing in that Adobe has so many processes running in the background that it takes longer and longer to actually shutdown LR or PS.  If you wait 10 or 15 minutes LR will eventually shutdown.  Unfortunatley, Adobe is a monopoly and couldn't care less about these and other issues that would be counter to their primary concern which is collecting data that they can resell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is related to the one we are discussing in that Adobe has so many processes running in the background that it takes longer and longer to actually shutdown LR or PS. 

By @jmlphotography

That's not related to the background processes.

Unfortunatley, Adobe is a monopoly and couldn't care less about these and other issues

By @jmlphotography

There is stiff competition on the photography market for programs like Lightroom. I own two other of those programs, and still, I use Lightroom Classic. They are not best in all, overall performance is best, IMHO. With Photoshop, it is a little different, but also here there is competition out, and I own one of those competitors and I have worked with at least one other in my younger days. Photoshop is that complex, that I learn each day of usage, even that I'm using Photoshop since from around version 2.5.

(...)  that would be counter to their primary concern which is collecting data that they can resell.
By @jmlphotography

That's a bold claim, do you have any proof?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines