• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I upload files in Creative Cloud without using Creative Cloud Folder

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to upload photos in the Creative clouds before erasing them from my computer.  Unfortunately the Adobe system is creating a Creative Cloud folder in my computer in which it becomes a mirror of the contents saved in the Cloud.  It means taking space in my computer twice for the same photo.  Once in the original folder and a second time in the Creative Cloud folder. 

This becomes a real nuisance since my objective is use the Creative Cloud web to save photos before I erase them from my computer to gain space.

Can someone tell me how to avoid this situation ?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

All sorts of possible reasons. For example, the files copies are frozen when you choose to upload, and can be uploaded over hours or days. Similarly, the files there can be checked if they are the same version as on the web to avoid download. I'd call both of these a cache though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s not how it is designed to work. For performance reasons, a copy is mirrored to your local disk and you can only access “cloud” files, when they have been mirrored.

You can move the pictures to the cloud, so they are only present on the cloud (and the local cache mirror).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you clarify please?

Your second sentence says "You can move the pictures to the cloud, so they are only present on the cloud".  This is exactly what I want.  To have files il the cloud which are not in my computer.  However, you also said that a "a copy is mirrored to your local disk".  It seems contradictory with the sentence I stated above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to read the rest of the sentence...they will bi stored ALSO locally in the local cloud cache. This is by design and all cloud systems work like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @abambo told you, they are made to sync, if you upload something from your browser it will refresh into your folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn off the Cloud sync feature in your Creative Cloud app. This will stop the local folder from syncing with your web interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I disconnected the sync function .

However, I still have a Creative Cloud Folder in the external drive (I choose this place to create this folder as it was requested by the application, since my laptop is running out of space).  It contains 38 gig of files which are the same 38 gig of the sub-folders I stored in the root directory of that drive.  It means that I have duplicates: the subfolders I have in the root directory of my external drive and the same subfolders included in the Creative Cloud Folder.

I find it odd that Adobe needs to occupy space for the Creative Cloud folder to put the same files which already exist somewhere in that drive and thus increasing the space used in the drive.

So what I want, is to upload files in the cloud without going through the Creative Cloud folder or avoiding that folder to create space to put the same files as elsewhere in the external drive?

If I delete these sub-folders in the Creative Cloud folder, will that delete the same sub-folders which are in the root directory of the external drive ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can delete those files. As long as the sink function is disabled it won’t impact your cloud instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... Another problem.  After having uncheck the sync function, I want now to open the application to access the web to upload new files.  But in the Assets>Files, I have no other choice than forcing me to sync again otherwise I cant access the Web.

My god !! it seem so complicated!!Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 2.06.28 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to www.adobe.com and access your files through there.

You can upload them directly via the webpage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it would be nice if you could be more explicit on where exactly I could fine the correct page in which I can upload files.

I opened adobe.com.  I went to my account but did not find any place where I could upload files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browse, sync, and manage Adobe Creative Cloud assets

I really can't recommend working this way. It means you have no backup for the files you send to Adobe !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  I have a back-up in an external drive anyway.  When I say that I erase it from my computer, it is precisely because I have these files elsewhere.  But supposing that these backed-up files are in an external drive in a house which could get on fire and I loose everything in this back-up drive, it is safe for me to have another back-up in Adobe cloud.  This is the whole idea I have

But what I really do not understand is why Adobe is creating a Creative Cloud folder to contain a mirror of files already in the drive?  It means the files in a folder in the computer are not only backed-up in the cloud but also are crated as duplicates in the creative Cloud folder installed by Adobe in the computer.

The reason why I say that is: before exporting to the cloud a folder of 64 gb for example from my computer, I check in "get info" the size of files contained in the computer, say 900 gb.  After having exported these files in the cloud, the "get info" of my computer drive shows 964 Gb, which implies that Adobe created the same files in their Creative Cloud folder in addition to storing them in the cloud.  I cant understand the logic. This is redundancy and occupies lot of space.  Why Adobe cant create a link directly between the original files and the cloud? Why do they need to create a folder in the computer containing these same files ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All sorts of possible reasons. For example, the files copies are frozen when you choose to upload, and can be uploaded over hours or days. Similarly, the files there can be checked if they are the same version as on the web to avoid download. I'd call both of these a cache though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.   So do you recommend to move directly all my most important photo folders from where they are in my external hard drive to the main folder Creative Cloud installed by Adobe in that same external drive ?  So that there are no duplicates ?

If yes, what happens if I work with my laptop without connecting the external drive to it (in situation where I dont need to wok with my photos)?  the cloud would not be able to be linked to the external drive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. As a google drive user for years since the university provides that for us to store our data in to teach from this adobe creative cloud folder situation has me wondering as well. My 1TB hard drive on IMac 27 inch needed space since I have increase my photography as well as completed few large photography events that finished off a 4TB external hard drive. I investigated the option until I made a better plan and or cleaned out/edited/purchased 8TB as well.

Since I already was a Adobe member I signed up to 1TB of space and started downloaded to give my Mac space, and nothing has changed. WHY? Because Adobe takes the data places it in a different folder along with places it in the "cloud" to access else where on laptop or phone else where. I didn't save space or time, so do I shut off sync (only use website like google drive) and delete the folder on my Mac? Would I risk losing everything because Adobe seems at this time to have a firm grip on signing either through creative cloud app, or lightroom or other. Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Thanks

Dr. Morrow  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But where would your backup be if you do that? it sounds as if you want to move the only copy to the cloud, a huge risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe cloud works like a mirroring system. All you cloud data is mirrored to your computer(s). This allows for fast access and easy synchronization and protects against disasters that destroy your computing hardware. But there is absolutely (not quite true, but at the end it's that) no protection against user failures (like deleting files that are still needed).

Also, any cloud product could be shut down over night. All your data would be no more available. I've seen more than once companies cutting off access to property at the moment.

Cloud is not a space saver for me, but it avoids having to share a lot of data on my different workstations via physical devices.

CC is not working like Microsoft's OneDrive, where you can keep files offline if you do not need them. However, the reason may be, that word files are probably less space demanding as a brochure with all the annexed data. Keeping that data offline would create huge waiting times when accessing those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application does not access the web. It creates a local folder that syncs to a cloud instance. There is a web interface via the Adobe website from which you can upload and organize your files without ever having a local folder syncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you are saying that if I upload directly to the web, there will be no folder created on my computer with those same photos?  Are there step-by-step instructions on how to do this?  My computer is getting bogged down and I also wish to store in the cloud without storing on my computer.  And to clarify:  I also have 2 portable hard drives with the same photos as a backup so the cloud isn't my only copy; I just want to have a third storage place without storing on the computer itself.  I also would like to access my work when I am away from home without having to take my external drive with me.  

Thanks for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines