Highlighted

How do i install Creative Cloud on different drive than C:/ ?

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to customize the install location of the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application itself.  The Creative Cloud desktop app must be installed on the same partition that contains the operating system (Primary drive).  You can choose to customize the install location for most Creative Cloud applications, but the Creative Cloud desktop app and shared resources and files will always be stored on the partition containing the computer operating system.

Please follow the steps to change the install location for Creative Cloud apps-

Click on 'FILE' top left corner of the Creative Cloud app-

capture 1.PNG

Select 'Preferences'

capture 2.png

Then click on 'Apps' and change the install location 

Capture3.PNG

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

How do i install Creative Cloud on different drive than C:/ ?

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to customize the install location of the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application itself.  The Creative Cloud desktop app must be installed on the same partition that contains the operating system (Primary drive).  You can choose to customize the install location for most Creative Cloud applications, but the Creative Cloud desktop app and shared resources and files will always be stored on the partition containing the computer operating system.

Please follow the steps to change the install location for Creative Cloud apps-

Click on 'FILE' top left corner of the Creative Cloud app-

capture 1.PNG

Select 'Preferences'

capture 2.png

Then click on 'Apps' and change the install location 

Capture3.PNG

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Jun 29, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jut got the creatice cloud. but what a disappointment when i found out it couldnt install on dfferent drive than C. What??? All respected apps can ne install where ever. So i still got 14 days for the refund policy. So if anyone know how to do this please share with me.

Translate

Translate

Nov 06, 2015 6
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can change the install location through the Adobe CC desktop app.

Click on the gear icon on the top right>Select Preferences> Under Creative Cloud section you can set the install location.

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Nov 06, 2015 8
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Ms. Kaul, You are probably not even working at Adobe as it has been a while since you answered the question I'm responding to.  I may have had seeing problems when I installed the actual Creative Cloud app that works on the desktop handling all the Adobe apps, BUT I didn't see that I had an option to work with CC preferences until after the app was installed which was om the default drive.  My understanding of everyone's issue from 2015 was they wanted to install the CC app on an other than default drive.

Also, I read up^^a couple of posts there was no way to make a move on Creative Cloud, but that's not true; I moved it and tested it after I made a symbolic link from my other than default drive back to the default drive.

Well, I changed the installed location by finagling the Adobe directory using command prompt stuff.  I did a robocopy of adobe as follows:

robocopy  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" /E /COPYALL  /XJ

then I did a remove directory on c: drive of Program Files (x86)\Adobe as follows:

rmdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" /S /Q

Now you need to make a symbolic link to allow adobe to find everything it needs from C even though you clicked on it from D (my drive, not yours).  Edit: this is creating something like a shortcut from C:\ drive to the drive where you copied Adobe files; in fact in a windows 10 File Manager it will show a very small shortcut icon in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, and when you click on the C:\ drive files folder for Adobe it will take you to D:\ drive Adobe files.

mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe"

Please let me say here though that you may have problems here ensuring mklink to run; so, please ensure you start cmd.exe by right clicking and selecting run as administrator.  Because if you don't even if you have Administrator member grouping privileges, it won't work.  Also, you may have file permission errors too that you may have to mow down, when going through permissions in the Security tab of Properties dialog as the system cycles through all of the ownerships you will get some errors, just ensure those errors aren't for Adobe and if not you're good to go.  Those errors are for apps in directories that are very difficult to get rid of.  Try a program from the web called IObit Unlocker, be very safe though.  Use a Malware tool to check it as well as a virus checker FIRST and there is a setting on OIbit Unlocker called Unlock and Delete, use that, it works to make it  (file) gone - Kung Fu is strong!  Also, what I did was give my administrators group inherited permission all the way through Program Files (x86) and it worked for me.  Hope I covered everything.

If you did everything okay, you will see this at the prompt: (Or something like it.)

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe"

symbolic link created for C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe <<===>> D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

LET ME ALSO SAY ALL THIS WASN'T NECESSARY, IF ADOBE WOULD'VE BEEN A POLITE DEVELOPER AND PUT IN A CONDITIONAL PROGRAM PAUSE TO WAIT FOR USER INPUT ie DEFAULT OR CUSTOM INSTALL  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Translate

Translate

Jul 29, 2017 8
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will work. However, when Adobe pushes an update for the Creative Cloud  Desktop app, you will have to repeat this procedure again.

Also, make sure your do this for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe" as well. This will free up for space.

A quick note, I use 'mklink /J' to make a junction (a link to another folder) instead of 'mklink /d' (a hard link or default option). Though operationally, they're Identical, unless the Adobe installer see them differently, codewise.

Translate

Translate

Aug 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

Not letting users choose the destination drive for installing software is just bad design. It is not "simplifying" the install process but just annoying and frustrating your user. Changing a setting in Adobe CC happens **after** it has been installed. Also - the adobe CC itself cannot be downloaded separately.... so you have to install something and move it. You have such an overwhelming selection of complicated apps, but yet you neglected to include a simple selection for installation drive!

Translate

Translate

Dec 01, 2018 10
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lillyg73221532  wrote

Adobe,

the adobe CC itself cannot be downloaded separately....

Yes it can: Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

May 09, 2019 1
Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app will be installed on C:drive only by default , we cannot change it.

However , you can install CC apps like Photoshop CC 2015 , Illustrator , InDesign,,,,,etc  to different drives.

Translate

Translate

Nov 06, 2015 4
New Here ,
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to know!
Now that we have established that Adobe develops poor products (not to mention expansive products), let's all stop buying this crap and get one of there competitor products.

This is completely unacceptable! Get yourselves some proper developers Adobe.

Translate

Translate

May 09, 2019 1
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer is nonsense. Please elaborate. Brucgovn  correctly said that you need to install the CC app, which is a small program, on C: and the other programs at a location you choose...

Regards,
Abambo

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

May 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to start by apologizing for my outburst. Although it can be soothing to vent off, clearly being angry at an issue is not helpful in resolving problems.

To elaborate, my statement is not an answer but rather it is an observation. My observation is simple but I have to admit that I was not very specific. The fact that it is necessary to install the Adobe Creative Cloud app on the C Drive rather than any other available drive simply to install InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator on a different drive is unintuitive at best. Clearly, users have to search your forums to find out how to properly install these programs on the desired drive. This shows that either your users don't know how to use your product(s) or that your product's interface needs to be designed in a manner that allows for properly installing a package without having to do extensive research simply for a software install.

I should also add that am instructor and that constantly dealing with these types of technical issues instead of focusing the task at hand is highly disruptive. It is nonsense for such a problems to exist as part of Adobe Creative Cloud when clearly these issues were non existent in previews Adobe versions. In conclusion, it would be great if you could give the option for installing any software on any hard drive without having to use a step by step tutorial on how to use the Adobe Creative Cloud app to do so.

Translate

Translate

May 09, 2019 3
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks people is done and working.

Translate

Translate

Nov 06, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

P.S. when using Adobe forums, please mark helpful/correct responses of Staff/helper, if there are any.

Translate

Translate

Nov 06, 2015 2
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get cloud on a different drive ?????

Translate

Translate

Sep 26, 2016 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph,

I apologize for the delay.

You cannot change the install location for the main Adobe Creation Cloud desktop application.

But for the individual applications, please refer Download and install Creative Cloud apps

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Sep 27, 2016 3
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does Adobe create a program that we can not have a choice on where to install it ?

Js Photography

Translate

Translate

Oct 02, 2016 6
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can, copy and move using robocopy, then use a symbolic link

Translate

Translate

Jul 29, 2017 2
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a poor solution from a company that charges so much for their product.  Even junk programs give you an option to change the drive location.

Translate

Translate

Jan 28, 2020 3
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not even the answer to the question ...... Great job staff for reading the question....

Translate

Translate

Sep 26, 2016 3
New Here ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say this is a high priority to fix in the future.   The way most modern PCs are configured, the C Drive might be dedicated to the operating system and system backups, especially when you have a hybrid drive.  C drives are also usually the smallest for this same reason.  Many publishers like Adobe and Oculus might want to just come out and say that this configuration is unavoidable.  If it can't be fixed, PC manufacturers need to give us larger C drives off the shelf.

Translate

Translate

May 22, 2019 8
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidp17938119  wrote

I would say this is a high priority to fix in the future.   The way most modern PCs are configured, the C Drive might be dedicated to the operating system and system backups, especially when you have a hybrid drive.  C drives are also usually the smallest for this same reason. 

When you are doing "system backups" on the same drive you hold your system disk, than you will experience disaster when the system disk fails.

A standard system disk of 400-500Gb can hold a lot of programs. Mine is 367Gb and holds the complete CC including the Cloud synchronisation data including some other data. I still have 214Gb free.

You can install the programs, like Photoshop, Illustrator, ... on a different disk. You only need to install the the CC App, which is very small, on the system disk.

The whole disk layout is a choice of Microsoft. Adobe et al. are not the culprits.

Regards,
Abambo

Translate

Translate

May 22, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Translate

Translate

Jun 28, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Mine is different. select Icon wheel under apps and under syncingadobeFileSync.PNG

adobeFileSync2.PNG

Translate

Translate

Mar 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop has a 128GB SSD C: and i am forced to install this huge suite of products on my C: with no option to select my 1TB HDD. All while being roped into paying £180 per year for this. The most basic productivity apps allow you to select install location. I've seen that you can change the option later by messing about with some 3rd party program, as someone else said, nothing about this simplifies the process, it's just an uncecassary nuisance.. The taste in my mouth is already bitter due to the ridiculous subscription model, this situation is not helping matters. 

Translate

Translate

Mar 10, 2020 2
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to echo that this is quite a serious issue - people are saying that the main CC app is "small", but it is many hundreds of MB that is installed to the C:/ drive no matter what. This is compounded by the issue here where Adobe apps won't install if there isn't sufficient space on the C:/ drive, even if you have set the install location to another drive with sufficient space. 

My C:/ drive is a 128 GB SSD for the Windows partition. The CC app is taking up a lot of the little space remaining on the drive, and I'm having to uninstall a bunch of other stuff in order to install Photoshop - even though I have over 2TB free space on other drives. 

Translate

Translate

Apr 08, 2020 3
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, to make things more user friendly, thereby increasing customer satisfaction, and growing the user base, creating more revenue Should be sufficient enough to require the Adobe team to just add in some code to the installer to allow for a drop down box where you can select a drive to download to. Like literally any other program, except the ones that suck. Not saying Adobe sucks by no means but c'mon?! WTH man push these requests up

Translate

Translate

Apr 17, 2020 3
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just here to say it's been years and this is still a problem. This "small" app uses up entire gigs of space for me on my very small SSD :C Drive. My D Drive is ENORMOUS and has plenty of space for this app. My C Drive, thanks to Adobe, is now super full and making my entire PC have issues. I won't be renewing my subscription if this isn't fixed. I'll just go use a free-source Photoshop-like app & similar that allow me to install it where ever the hell I please. It was bad enough dealing with all the subscription SH**, and with this issue it's not even CLOSE to worth it to use Adobe's products. You guys suck. Listen to your customers.

Translate

Translate

Jun 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded CreativeCloudSet-up and started it. I never got the option to choose where I want the program installed, it automatically installed on my C: drive. Due to running a PC with a SSD and a HDD I want the program installed on my HDD since it has a lot more space on it. Someone in another thread meantioned to let Adobe Cloud install on my C: drive then press the gear in the top corner, then preferences and then move it to where I want it, but that didn't work either.

I need help with getting the Creative Cloud set up to install onto my 😧 drive and then keep installing my other programs there aswell as my work. So far it won't do that and I don't have the space available on my C: drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Translate

Translate

Mar 30, 2017 0
Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the cc desktop app must install on your c drive.  the cc programs can be installed elsewhere.

Translate

Translate

Mar 30, 2017 1
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats not true. Trying to install Fuse in drive H: after changing folder in Preferences is ignored, it keeps trying to install in C -where I have no space available.

The fact is that there are complaints about this, if you make a google search, back to 2012. Is really that hard to give the users the option to install their programs whereever they want?

Translate

Translate

Apr 21, 2017 2
Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are some restrictions (eg, you can't use network drives), but installation off the c drive is doable.  on the other hand, no matter what drive you choose some files will still be installed on the c drive so you must have available space.

Translate

Translate

Apr 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just spent a half hour on support, I am so completely frustrated I could scream! What a waste of time to only be told by support that there is no way possible to install LR or PS on a designated drive other than C.

First of all, I've had CC for years with LR and PS installed on my G drive, not C! But, I just had to reinstall Windows 10 and do not have the option whatsoever to install CC, LR, or PS on my larger drive. I understand totally that there must be system related files on the operating system drive, but only the wisdom of Adobe will not allow their programs to run from a source drive other than C.

I have only a small 100gb SSD which I do not wish to clog up with 2 gigs here and 2 gigs there. Fix this Adobe!

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2017 0
Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a product forum for LR or PS questions.  It's the non-technical Lounge for discussions about non-product related stuff.

That said, I sympathize with your plight.  But software (pretty much every software) has to be installed on the same drive as your operating system because it needs to make changes to higher level system & registry files.   That's not an Adobe thing.  It's a this is how computers work  thing. 

I keep my work files on separate drives to free up space on the primary for OS and software that I use regularly.   If I'm not using something regularly, I uninstall it.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2017 1
New Here ,
May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it needs to make changes to higher level system & registry files.   That's not an Adobe thing.  It's a this is how computers work  thing."

Sorry but I don't see why a machine can't "make changes to higher-level system & registry files" from a different drive. I can edit the Windows Registry manually from my office chair, for crissakes. Seems like bs to me. But thanks for the "this is how computers work" condescension.

Translate

Translate

May 23, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is patently untrue. For years Adobe has allowed installation to an HDD other than your system drive. But now, since Adobe implemented an arbitrary limitation, it's "how computers work." That is just false.

99% of all applications I've installed on my computer, since Windows 95 and up, has allowed installation on a drive other than the system drive. It's the same with most applications coded for macOS.

Maybe it's "how the developers decided to make the Adobe suite work," but please don't tell us it's "how computers work." That is just a false statement.

Translate

Translate

Jul 04, 2017 6
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's a completely untrue and uneducated (or intentionally condescending) statement. Given the fact that even Adobe apps allowed installation to ANY drive until recently makes it an incredibly inaccurate statement.

Translate

Translate

Jul 04, 2017 4
Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hdjones,

There are a couple of things to consider:

1. You can change the install location of the apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)

2. You cannot change the install location of the CC Desktop app itself

3. Even with the apps on another drive, some shared resources are still installed in the main C drive.

To change the app install location, open your CC desktop app before installing any of the other apps, and click the gear icon in the upper right corner. Then, select "Preferences..."

In the Preferences screen, click "Creative Cloud."

In the Creative Cloud screen, choose "Apps."

Here, you have the option to modify the default installation location:

2017-04-11_16-42-27.jpeg

There was a time when Lightroom did not honor this setting, but hopefully that was fixed long ago. The other apps, (Photoshop, etc) should follow your setting here.

Mike

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2017 1
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael Thanks so very much for your reply. This is exactly how it was set up on my previous install, but it's obviously too much to expect Adobe Support from India or wherever to know such a simple thing. 

I knew there was a way. 

Thanks again Hugh

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Translate

Translate

Apr 11, 2017 0
Participant ,
May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked for me in the past, but on my new computer, I'm trying to install on my D drive, but I'm getting the message it cannot install to root path.

Translate

Translate

May 14, 2017 0
May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somecraziness  wrote

This has worked for me in the past, but on my new computer, I'm trying to install on my D drive, but I'm getting the message it cannot install to root path.

What program(s) are you trying to install on the D drive? I've read that some CC apps (Dreamweaver?) don't play well on other drives. I can't remember the details, but I can dig them up if needed. Let us know which app you're trying to install in the alternate location.

Mike

Translate

Translate

May 14, 2017 0
Participant ,
May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike.  I actually am mistaken.  I was trying to use the root folder when I should have created a folder.  I did that - one called Adobe - and I was able to download things fine.  Sorry for the post. 🙂

Translate

Translate

May 14, 2017 6
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

since there is no answer to this problem, like with so many problems with adobe, 3 Years later I'll tell you what i did.

It took me way more time than a simple thing like this should, but I managed to change the install directory of the CC itself (not only the apps) by changing the default install directory in my registry in windows. To do that, do the following.

1. type “regedit” in start menu and open the first result it shows.

Go for following keys
    “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion”. And double click on “CurrentVersion”. Then on right hand side window will expand. Go for ProgramFilesDir from list. If your Operating System is 64 bit then there will be two entries ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir(x86). 

Double click on any one of them and see the entries. It is C drive first. You can edit any drive where you want to save all installations. And then press Ok after editing. Make sure the directory you change it to actually exists on the drive.  Repeat the same for ProgramFilesDir.
  2. Restart the system for changes to take effect. And new installation will be done in your new folder.

Now obviously, this is not something customers should be forced to do. Also I want to add, that although the CC was indeed installed on a different drive than my OS, something (roughly 300MB) was on my C drive aswell. I dont know what Adobe is doing, but they really need to get their sh** together. 

Translate

Translate

Mar 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues installing CC apps on a different drive location. I have 2 drives, a 256 gig SSD and a 1 TB regular drive. When I try to change the default install location I get a the following error... "Cannot install to root path".

I''m running out of room on my SSD drive and need to be able to install the CC apps that I do not regularly use on my (D) drive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rob

Translate

Translate

Jul 25, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC app has to be installed directly in the root driver. This is necessary for the computer to start automatically with startup. However, after installing CC App, you can change the folder or the installer of the applications from Settings> Preferences.

fixed.PNG

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2017 6
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response. I realize that I have to have CC on my root drive. In fact, I want to keep Photoshop on my root drive as well and load all of the other CC products on my (D) drive. When I I go to Preferences/Creative Cloud/Install Location and select "other" and browse to my (D) drive I get the notification that I cannot do so. See images below...

capture2.jpgCapture1.PNG

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2017 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RobertFrease did you create a new folder on the 😧 drive and select that folder?

In general, I would recommend installing any needs applications on your primary drive.  You can then use your 😧 drive for larger files such as documents, music, or video files.

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2017 3
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. That did the trick! Unfortunately my laptop only has a 256G SSD so by the time I downloaded all the Adobe Apps that I use and Microsoft Office... I was using over 80% of the drive. I do have Photoshop and Dreamweaver loaded on my primary drive as I use them the most.

Thanks again for the correct answer.

Rob

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2017 3
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent.  Thanks for the update Rob!

Translate

Translate

Jul 26, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the real question here is, how do you install CC on a different drive?

Translate

Translate

Aug 10, 2018 4
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken Dant26780342, it is not possible to customize the install location of the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application itself.  The Creative Cloud desktop app must be installed on the same partition that contains the operating system.  You can choose to customize the install location for most Creative Cloud applications, but the Creative Cloud desktop app and shared resources and files will always be stored on the partition containing the computers operating system.

Translate

Translate

Aug 13, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for a direct answer!

Translate

Translate

Aug 13, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was found from another posting. Using the MKLINK is the best SOLUTION we have right now.

I changed the installed location by finagling the Adobe directory using command prompt stuff.  I did a robocopy of adobe as follows:

robocopy  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" /E /COPYALL  /XJ

then I did a remove directory on c: drive of Program Files (x86)\Adobe as follows:

rmdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" /S /Q

Now you need to make a symbolic link to allow adobe to find everything it needs from C even though you clicked on it from D (my drive, not yours).  Edit: this is creating something like a shortcut from C:\ drive to the drive where you copied Adobe files; in fact in a windows 10 File Manager it will show a very small shortcut icon in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, and when you click on the C:\ drive files folder for Adobe it will take you to D:\ drive Adobe files.

mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe"

Adding to this, make sure you do the same for the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe" as well. Adobe installs a lot more files here too and this well free more space up in your puny SSD. This well work. However, when Adobe pushes an update, you have to repeat this procedure over ... Grrr ... because Adobe in there update process well delete the symbolic link and recreate a real folder again. Anyway, using 'MKLINK /J' (for junction which is a link to a folder) is what I use instead of 'MKLINK /D' (which is the default option). Though operationally, they're identical.

Translate

Translate

Aug 22, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the SOLUTION which makes use of the 'MKLINK' command. It is the best SOLUTION we have until Adobe acknowledges that this is a problem for users with puny SSD drives.

Translate

Translate

Aug 22, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat. I was able to go into installation settings and change the directory to a folder I set up called Creative Cloud. That was no problem. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall to initiate the move?

Translate

Translate

Dec 19, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Skydog70, you are correct.  Please remove the application by following the process listed in Uninstall or remove Creative Cloud apps .  You can then reinstall, and the new custom install location will be used if the application supports it. 

Please be aware that not all CC apps support a custom install location.

Translate

Translate

Dec 19, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff!

Translate

Translate

Dec 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, I was wondering if it is possible to install creative cloud on an entirely different hard drive that isn't my OS drive. I am on Windows 10, by the way. I am hoping that there is an easier way than setting up a junction folder.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Translate

Translate

Sep 19, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main CC desktop application must be installed on the main drive of your system, but the applications can be installed elsewhere.

Change Install Location for Applications

With the CC application opened, choose the little gear icon in the upper right corner and then choose Preferences.  In the Preferences screen select Creative Cloud and then look for the Install Location drop down

Translate

Translate

Sep 19, 2017 2
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just applications that will install, but everything Adobe related. I don't want any trace on my OS drive.

Translate

Translate

Sep 19, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back and read Ned's first sentence again

Translate

Translate

Sep 19, 2017 1
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh. Thanks all!

Translate

Translate

Sep 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this doesn't work for, at the very least, the Photoshop and Acrobat apps. It works perfectly for Illustrator and InDesign, but not at all for these other two apps, which are pretty high profile apps. I've been on their online chat with a supposed 7 minute wait time for about the last hour. Any other advice? I've already uninstalled, reinstalled etc.

Translate

Translate

Nov 08, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for options on this as well for my MacOS setup with an SSD. I want the most frequently used apps on the SSD, but others parked elsewhere. I don't understand why Adobe doesn't allow per-app locations.

Translate

Translate

Dec 30, 2017 0