• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I retrieve software from old computer?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a new MacBook Pro and I want to put my CS6 apps onto my new laptop. They were downloaded onto my computer by my college in 2009 (and then updated to CS6 when it became available) My old 2008 MacBook Pro still "works" but I don't have the CS6 physical software disk since the college installed it for us. Over my 3yrs there I paid a total of $2500 for this software, and I can't afford to pay again, or subscribe for the updated versions. 
I just need to know how to transfer my purchased Adobe CS6 software to my new laptop. Any help would be amazing, I've already tried contacting Adobe but since I never "registered" my software back then, I'm not a customer so I can't speak with anyone at Adobe. 
Thanks in advance for any advice. 
Kait

TOPICS
Activation , Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No possible for 2 reasons

1 - there is no way to transfer an installed program from one computer to another, you MUST have the install file and your serial number

2 - even if you did have the install file, CS6 will not work on Catalina or later operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sucks, but thank you for answering.

Guess they weren't making enough money actually selling their product, we either "rent" it for the rest of our lives or it's gone. You can never actually "own" anything anymore. Frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you had the chance you should have had your school actually give you the install file(s) that you could copy to an external device of some sort... USB flash drive or external hard drive or write to a DVD (with a text file containing your serial number)

As far as my 2nd point... that is ALL on Apple for not maintaining backward compatibility with new operating systems

If what you are doing is picture and/or video editing look at http://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, I suppose I'm placing blame where it doesn't belong! I'll look into that and check out some of my options. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone else reading this...

When you buy via download, ALWAYS copy it to at least one external device
-a usb flash drive or hard drive, or write to a CD or DVD
-plus a text file containing your serial number, if you bought a serial numbered program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines