• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How embarrassing - almost 2021 and Adobe still can't deal with case sensitive file systems

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it almost 2021 and Adobe Creative Cloud still can not deal with case-sensitive file systems? Worse, they aren't even consistent about it.

If someone has a suggestion that is actually helpful, and does not include "reformat your root filesystem to be case-insensitive" please let me know.

A little background. I am a software/systems engineer. I work on a variety of systems, primarily Linux, and have to have case-sensitive file system in order to coexist everywhere across the various Linux, BSD, and other systems I work with. 

My current system is a Mac mini with the root file system formatted APFS with a case-senstiive filesystem. I also have an Adobe volume which is case-insensitive. Somewhere back in February I installed all of this, and managed to get eveyrthing working. Sadly I lost my notes and don't recall how I did this. I haven't tried to reconstruct them, though it wasn't that hard. I remember it being really easy.

Fast forward thru 2020 and the apps update at variuos times. Then Creative Cloud tries to update itself, and the dreaded error 22. 

All the apps that have been installed and/or updated since install are working, except for Creative Cloud. It wants to update, but it can't. And I'd like to update the installed versions, but they are now stuck too.

The frustration levels are really high, especially after an extremely long wait to get help from their support and then the support person not reading what I wrote and asking questions I had already provided the answers to when I explained my problem after he or she signed in to my chat session. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Adobe works closely with Apple & MS to develop apps that are compatible with the latest OSs.  But Adobe's product developers don't lurk in these user-to-user forums.  Feel free to submit your feature requests below where the engineers will see them. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You already know the only solution, but want us to tell you that. Adobe follow the big numbers, not the speciality setups. They drop whole OSs which have thousands of times more current users than this feature. Maybe dual boot is your solution. I can't recommend VMs because of the lack of virtualized GPU support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad, but true. 

I used to use a VM macOS so I could have adobe on the primary and the rest of my work on the VM on the same machine, but that grew tiresome after a while because it made everything more cumbersome. This worked for a while, and the apps themselves still work, only the updates don't work so I'm stuck with what was installed back then before the update that broke things came along.

Even though I had done my own research and googling, I hoped I had overlooked something, so I posted. Never know if you don't ask.

Hopefully someone has something to offer.

I did find something interesting, and I'm working on it to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities. The Adobe volume I have (case insensitive) was supposed to be mounted to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe but it seems that cross mount didn't survive an os update and so I'm fixing that and hoping that will make the difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a 2 computer set-up would be a better fit for what you're doing.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A two computer setup is not practical. Nor is a VM based solution. I've tried both, and returned to a single machine, multi-monitor set-up each time.

The bigger issue is why they changed things, breaking what used to work.

My setup:

/ - case insensitive

/Users/{home} - case sensitive

/Users/{home}/Library/Application Support/Adobe - {case insensitive}

Note that the only case-sensitive part of my system is my home directory. Everything else is case-insensitive just for Adobe. However, for my work I require case sensitive file system. Thanks to APFS and relatively low overhead filesystems (flashback to ZFS), I created a place for Adobe that was case-insensitive.

With this approach I was able to install and run all the apps without any issue. Updates also worked. That is until a few months (3?) ago when I first noticed CC wouldn't update. The apps continued to work, so I didn't really care at the time

Today I was wanting to update and so I started digging.

The Creative Cloud app is doing something new. It is no longer looking solely at the Adobe folder. It is looking somewhere in my home folder outside of where it should be. I don't know where yet. If it were properly looking in the Adobe directory, it would be case-insensitive and there wouldn't be an issue.

I suspect the app is testing the home directory itself, even though the place where case-sensitivity matters is in the Adobe directory.

Poor coding in my opinion. Check where the files matter (Adobe), not outside of that area.

This almost seems deliberate, meant to break things for people that figured out how to make things work despite Adobe, however taking Hanlon's razor into account it's most likely stupidity, not deliberate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe works closely with Apple & MS to develop apps that are compatible with the latest OSs.  But Adobe's product developers don't lurk in these user-to-user forums.  Feel free to submit your feature requests below where the engineers will see them. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To a degree. Case sensitive file systems have been around for many years, so clearly they still pick and choose even within the OSes they "support" what they really will actually support. I know this has been a headache for Adobe users for several years now, myself included. 

Thank you for the link. What I really need is the ability to report a bug as this is a bug that is now breaking functionality that used to work. Do you have a link for bug reporting? I spent the better part of an hour going through Adobe's site looking for such a link. The closest I found was something to report bugs for ColdFusion, Air, and RoboHelp. Not exactly helpful for this. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that link has a bug report option. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's NOT a bug, though.  That's how it works by design.  So you should file a feature request.  Assuming it's feasible and enough other people request it, Adobe may change the software in a future release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marking this as the correct answer as it's the closest to being useful. Thank you again, bug reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines