• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much storage space does the cloud take up?

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to buy the creative cloud, but I'm not sure if my mac has enough storage space to download it. I'm guessing it doesn't, I only have around 30 GB of space left. How much room would i need to buy the cloud and only download Premier for now? This is the application I need the most at the moment. If I can download and install Premier now and worry about the rest later then that would be fine.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're so short of storage space, check that the rest of your system meet the System Requirements.

Most modern computers have 100s of GBs or even TBs of space. Is your entire system borderline for running such a demanding app as Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the OP doesn't have the same issue as me. If he did, these were very unhelpful replies. I didn't want to start a new thread so I searched and these replies were not helpful at all.

For me, it's not a problem of having enough space to install the software. I have 250GB (shame on me for not having TBs of space) and my windows 10 takes up a lot of it. I can easily install photoshop but if I keep many copies of a project, I run out of space like crazy and I was hoping the Cc option allows me to work on the project while the file remains in the cloud.

It took me a few minutes and detailed explanations about my question to get the answer from the support team, but they say that if I want to work on a file it will be downloaded in a temp folder on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear on what question you are asking.

You seem to think the prior replies in this thread are unhelpful but I'm not clear why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the original question is "How much storage space does the cloud take up?"

Both replies, as I understood them, were about how much space installing photoshop takes up.

I always try to find out the answer to my problem in forums before contacting tech support, and when I saw the question I was super happy, but unfortunately the answers did not apply to my question. Tbh I was also annoyed at the "Most modern computers have 100s of GBs or even TBs of space" part of the reply which really didn't help in the least. I don't like to feel bad that I couldn't afford a 1TB SSD

Maybe I'm not able to make myself clear but that was exactly how I was thinking about my problem, so I expected the replies to apply to me. I was wondering how much storage space does the cloud take up on my computer.

Maybe I should have asked the question differently because I do understand that if a file is in the cloud it doesn't take up space on my computer unless I mark it to be available offline. In my experience using other cloud storage solution, although my .psd file is in the cloud, I can't work on it in photoshop until it's temporarily downloaded on my computer, and when I'm done it's synced back again. I was hoping that photoshop cc would work like a virtual machine and I wouldn't need to store a temporary file on my computer to work on it. Apparently that's not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the cc desktop app takes about 100mb on your os drive.

each program takes space but can be installed on other (non-network) drives.  each production file takes space but they can be stored anywhere.

nothing is on an adobe computer and not stored locally on your computer.  and doing that (saving on someone else's computer and not having a copy you control) is (imo) foolish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the original question is "How much storage space does the cloud take up?"  Both replies, as I understood them, were about how much space installing photoshop takes up.

Yes, the subject header (Cloud storage) does not really match the true question in the body of the message (how much room does Premiere consume on a hard drive) but the true question was answered IMO.

Tbh I was also annoyed at the "Most modern computers have 100s of GBs or even TBs of space" part of the reply which really didn't help in the least. I don't like to feel bad that I couldn't afford a 1TB SSD

I can see how you might interpret my comment that way but it was not at all the point I was making.

Many people come to these forums focussed on a single hardware spec trying to work out if their outdated system can possibly run the latest software. They often don't take into account other crucial specs such as clock speed, video cards etc.

My point was that a machine with 30GB HDD space remaining (the only hardware spec given) may be underpowered on most hardware specs and thus even if the storage issue could be overcome with some creative juggling, the software may crawl or not run at all on an underpowered machine. That was all.

I was hoping that photoshop cc would work like a virtual machine and I wouldn't need to store a temporary file on my computer to work on it. Apparently that's not the case.

Correct that's not the case. No Adobe desktop apps allow you to work directly on files on a remote Adobe server. They must be downloaded (to a local internal or external drive or a networked drive) then re-synced back.

If it's of any interest, Adobe:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After doing a quick addition estimate of all CC programs, it would take at least 300 G of disk space to store them, which can be on an external drive or internal as you wish.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines