• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install Adobe apps on M1 Macs without Rosetta?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe claims to support Macs M1 natively for some products, but all available packages at https://creativecloud.adobe.com/apps/all/desktop  have the dependency on Rosetta (Installer app is an intel binary). Even some alternative links from support points to packages with intel binaries. So, how to install Adobe app without Rosetta on Apple silicon Macs?    

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

I don't see any contradiction. An app is not its installer. Who cares that the installer isn't native, since you only run it once. Efficiency is hardly an issue.

What is this "I will not install Rosetta" thing? It makes no sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

JCWalton, Mike_M, and others thank you for the feedback regarding the installation mechanism used to deliver Creative Cloud apps.

Would you please bookmark https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html to be kept up to date regarding Adobe application support for Apple's new processors? I would also recommend reviewing https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861 to understand better what Rosetta 2 is used for and the difference between Universal and Intel-based apps.

If

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any contradiction. An app is not its installer. Who cares that the installer isn't native, since you only run it once. Efficiency is hardly an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A native app should have the native way to be installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agreed with Mike:M. Why I have to install some other thing for even an installer? This is fundamental. It makes no sense of serving a half baked food.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess that's two of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@diptangshumandal09,

Mind boggling!!  What about the majority of us who DO NOT have M1 chip computers? 

Are you saying a tiny group of elite users on elite Apple devices should decide what's best for everyone?  Until silicon chips become the "new normal," you're stuck with Rosetta. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's how you create or destroy an experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea, @Test Screen Name you are thinking from a developer/development point of view, and we are saying from an user or client point of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is not about installing Rosetta or not. When you have a new maching which does not have Rosetta installed, and the first app you try to install is claimed to be M1 compatible and doesn't require Rosetta to run, but since the installer is not native, one who is not technically sounding, will think the app to be a wrong version as it is asking Rosetta to install. The incomplete information is the issue or confusion here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific experience is being destroyed by Rosetta?  You should tell Apple about it since it's their product, not Adobe's.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

This is a user-to-user forum.  Nobody here works for Adobe or develops the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The experience of communication is being destroyed here. It was this forum only where I or others got to know that the installer require Rosetta and not the actual app. Hence it was not evident that Adobe Lightroom in my case is native M1 compatible. I was trying to find the M1 compatible app. Hence as per experience, Adobe is to blame here for improper communication. Before coming to Google search for a solution, I contacted Adobe support who themselves were not able to address the same issue as they also did not communicated what @Test Screen Name clearly mentioned. So,

1. We (atleast I) do not have any issues installing Rosetta, but as stated above, the information is not clear

2. @Nancy OShea The Apple url you shared also say to contact the developer (Adobe here) to get the compatibility information. Hence, Apple has no role here

3. Yes, this is an user to user forum, that is why we are asking from a user/client's perspective and not the technicalities 

I guess I have been able to communicate my point here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M1 Chip Compatibility is clearly stated below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

Post back if you need more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ll of you responding on here hatefully to people not wanting to install Rosetta 2 are asinine. You all have no idea what these people are asking #1 and #2 have no understanding of why they are requesting it. They are pointing out that the installers themselves have not been updated not to require Rosetta 2, and they should be if Adobe is claiming FULL native Apple silicon support. That would indicate that Rosetta 2 is not required at ALL, so they should not need to install Rosetta 2. Yet they are! Also, Rosetta 2 is only a bandaid provided by Apple for lazy developers. They will at some point drop support for it altogether. So if, as a developer, you are going to take the time to update your software to run natively on Apple silicon, then why wouldn't you at the same time update your installer package? Doing this makes no sense at all and is sloppy. I fully understand all these people NOT wanting to install Rosetta 2. Get off their backs and stop being jerks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JCWalton, Mike_M, and others thank you for the feedback regarding the installation mechanism used to deliver Creative Cloud apps.

Would you please bookmark https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html to be kept up to date regarding Adobe application support for Apple's new processors? I would also recommend reviewing https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861 to understand better what Rosetta 2 is used for and the difference between Universal and Intel-based apps.

If you are trying to provide feedback on behalf of an organization, please get in touch with your organization's Creative Cloud administrator to provide that feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, who cares? Should Adobe take teams off optimizing actual apps so the installers are pretty?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a client and I care. If a company claims native support, it should be native suport. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines