Highlighted

I'm new to this and need help in choosing a design package? Do I go for Raster or Vector?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have not used any design software before and despite reading up on it, I am still lost where to begin.  I have two specific things I would like to be able to do and would like to understand if I would be better off using a Vector or a Raster software - bearing in mind I will need to learn whichever one it is from scratch, so the easier the better!  What I would like to be able to do is the following:

1) My main requirement for the drawing/editing software is to create collages from online illustrations - for example, I would like to find an image of the world map, resize it to the size I will need and then edit it slightly, eg change the colours of the countries, erase some labels and add in additional labels etc, and then I would like to add some key illustrations of animals or landmarks to the map - so I would need to be able to cut the animals/landmarks out or remove their backgrounds (perhaps recolour) and then add them to the map.  Once I have created the collage, I want to be able to project the image across a full wall.  Would I be able to project this large if I have created the image in Raster software, or would I need to have done it in Vector?  Would Raster or Vector be easier for me to do this in?  If I use a Vector software, do all the original illustrations I am going to use have to be vector images too? (it might be fun to have some drawing tools to add a few bits here and there to the collages, but these are not vital)

2) I'd also like to be able take a photograph and then cut it into 4 or 6 squares to use on instagram so that you see the complete photo when you look at my instagram grid.  (I dont have a need for any serious photo editing!)

I am a bit lost between all the different Adobe drawing/editing software and would really appreciate some help in choosing which one would be best for my needs.  PHotoshop, Elements, Illustrator, Draw, etc...   I also understand that there is a new programme called Fresco that combines Vector and Raster  although I am not sure that for my needs if this is really necessary?  It was also suggested I could purchase an ipad pro and and apple pencil - would this really be worth the investment for what I want to do - would it make things that much easier?

Essentially - what would be the easiest to learn and the cheapest option?

Thanks

Tammy

Topics

New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I'm new to this and need help in choosing a design package? Do I go for Raster or Vector?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have not used any design software before and despite reading up on it, I am still lost where to begin.  I have two specific things I would like to be able to do and would like to understand if I would be better off using a Vector or a Raster software - bearing in mind I will need to learn whichever one it is from scratch, so the easier the better!  What I would like to be able to do is the following:

1) My main requirement for the drawing/editing software is to create collages from online illustrations - for example, I would like to find an image of the world map, resize it to the size I will need and then edit it slightly, eg change the colours of the countries, erase some labels and add in additional labels etc, and then I would like to add some key illustrations of animals or landmarks to the map - so I would need to be able to cut the animals/landmarks out or remove their backgrounds (perhaps recolour) and then add them to the map.  Once I have created the collage, I want to be able to project the image across a full wall.  Would I be able to project this large if I have created the image in Raster software, or would I need to have done it in Vector?  Would Raster or Vector be easier for me to do this in?  If I use a Vector software, do all the original illustrations I am going to use have to be vector images too? (it might be fun to have some drawing tools to add a few bits here and there to the collages, but these are not vital)

2) I'd also like to be able take a photograph and then cut it into 4 or 6 squares to use on instagram so that you see the complete photo when you look at my instagram grid.  (I dont have a need for any serious photo editing!)

I am a bit lost between all the different Adobe drawing/editing software and would really appreciate some help in choosing which one would be best for my needs.  PHotoshop, Elements, Illustrator, Draw, etc...   I also understand that there is a new programme called Fresco that combines Vector and Raster  although I am not sure that for my needs if this is really necessary?  It was also suggested I could purchase an ipad pro and and apple pencil - would this really be worth the investment for what I want to do - would it make things that much easier?

Essentially - what would be the easiest to learn and the cheapest option?

Thanks

Tammy

Topics

New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many users of Adobe software here. I can throw in that vector programs (like Illustrator) can be used to combine raster images. My instinct would be Illustrator and also Photoshop (because you're certain to need to edit rasters too).

But I feel, if you're just starting out, it may be worth pointing out that almost everything you find online is copyright, and it will still be copyright if you combine it with other things. If your aim is to project onto your wall at home, there isn't likely to be a problem, but if you're planning to project on a public wall, for an audience, for a filmed item, or on a business wall, then you are going to need to license every single image you find online. ALSO, online images may be too poor quality for what you want once you blow them up. You can't fix that, you need to pay for a better image. One source of licensed quality images is Adobe Stock, and many Adobe plans include a license allowing so many images per month.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO, you should become familiar with both raster and vector graphics apps.  You will need different tools for different projects.  It's unlikely that you will be doing exactly the same type of work at all times. 

Does your equipment meet the system requirements to run Creative Cloud + Photoshop + Illustrator? 

I won't sugar coat this.  The learning curve can be quite steep.  But that's to be expected from Professional level software.

Fresco is a nice companion app for iPad and Surface Pro.   But it's not a replacement for the desktop software giants above.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fresco/system-requirements.html

If you want free?  Try Gimp and Inkscape.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines