• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign keeps starting an older version

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest update for Indesign installed, and can start it from the CC panel and load up a file.  However, double clicking on the file in Windows explorer starts an earlier version of Indesign (which must still be installed) and then complains that the file was created in a later one.  Is there any way of uninstalling the older version, and just keeping the newest one?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Hi Eleanor,

Right-click the file in Windows File Explorer. Choose Open With, then choose the correct version of InDesign and (important!) choose to do so for all files.

This is part of the Windows operating system that files ending with .indd open with a specific application, and you are changing it so that double-clicking opens the application you want.

I can’t give you a screen shot since I’m on a Mac, so post back if it’s not clear.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Here are the directions for uninstall using the CC app > Manage

Uninstall or remove Creative Cloud apps

In Windows, are you starting InDesign from a shortcut or the Start menu? If it’s from a shortcut, delete it and create a new one the next time you launch the correct version of InDesign.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane.  No, I was starting Indesign by double-clicking on the .indd file in Windows explorer.  For some reason that causes it to load up an earlier version of Indesign, not the one that sstarts from the CC menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eleanor,

Right-click the file in Windows File Explorer. Choose Open With, then choose the correct version of InDesign and (important!) choose to do so for all files.

This is part of the Windows operating system that files ending with .indd open with a specific application, and you are changing it so that double-clicking opens the application you want.

I can’t give you a screen shot since I’m on a Mac, so post back if it’s not clear.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows makes the decision about what app to run on a double click. You can easily change that Set which program opens when you double-click a file | PCWorld

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eleanorj57181908  wrote

I was starting Indesign by double-clicking on the .indd file in Windows explorer. 

That's a Windows file association thing.  You just need to tell Windows to open the latest version of ID.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to tack on information for those who may in the future search for a similar issue how to do this on Mac.

In Finder, simply right-click on any file of the type you need to switch default programs on and select "Get Info..." at the bottom of the Info popup select the program you wish open files with by default under "Open With" and then click the "Change All" button below it to switch the default program permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This utility might do what you want –

https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/downloads/lightning-brain-soxy/

Soxy is a match-maker that matches a document file with the correct program when multiple versions of applications like Adobe® InDesign®, QuarkXPress®, Adobe Illustrator… are installed on the same computer.

Soxy automatically analyses and matches the file so each time the job is saved in the right program.

The common problems: double-clicking a file’s icon will often cause the wrong application version to launch. As a result you might unwittingly re-save a document into a more recent file format and as a result, there’s a customer who can’t open an updated file when e-mailed back. Soxy prevents those problems.

I've never tried it, but I use their TextStitch plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like overkill when you just have to change it with a simple right-click or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Even when right click and find Indd 2021, it STILL opens the oldest version I have installed. I can't UNinstall it because I need that version for some ancient plugins that won't work in 2021. The old version isn't the last version I installed either. I have to open 2021 first, then drag the files in like a gorilla.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issu, it drives me crazy! I also need both versions because of work and Windows REFUSES to open the files from Explorer, no matter what I do. Did you find any way to solve the problem? I can't work like this professionally, it's an obvious bug in the system.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @elka9110,

Right-click on a file in Windows File Explorer.

Select open with → Choose desired app from the selection list.

Failing that, uninstall the app versions you no longer wish to use.

Go to Windows Search and type Add or Remove Software.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have multiple versions installed, you NEED to give up on double clicking. It can be a hard habit to break, but get used to the many other ways to open a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double clicking an indesign file should open the file in the latest version. Mine always had... until this week. When I right clicked "open with" the 2021 version wasn't even listed as an option even though it was very much installed and I had been using it all year. The workaround was to open the app, go to "file > open" and manually find the file from there and it's 2021... ain't nobody got time for that.

I ultimately uninstalled the whole program from the adobe cloud, then reinstalled and clicked "remove old versions" when prompted. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old question but it just happened to me and none of the other responses or links worked for me. I ultimately uninstalled the the program from the adobe cloud. Then reinstalled and clicked "remove old versions" when it prompted my response and boom! It worked - all my files are opening in the latest version and not the older one giving me errors anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines