• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install Adobe Apps to SD Card - New Method

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many of you I wanted to put my second installation of Adobe onto a smaller, lighter tablet that I could carry with me when I wasn't planning on working but wanted to be prepared in case of emergencies. The device I singled out was an HP X2 10", which has 64GB of EMMC storage but supports SD cards. I've used the C:\SD method in the past but it's hit or miss and Animate seems to have issues with it and templates. The following method worked for me to get EVERYTHING installed onto a 128GB microSD card with room to spare. This works for Windows 10 Home and Pro.

Pop a big micro sd card into your tablet/laptop.

Right click on the Windows Start icon and select "Disk Management".

Select "Action > Create VHD".

Create a suitably large VHD on your micro sd card. 24GB should be enough but it would probably benefit you to make it larger. Browse to your SD card and create a VHD (example given, D:\VirtualDrive.vhd, Virtual hard disk size: 86GB).

After clicking "OK", it will take a while for the VHD to be created.

When it's complete, look in the disk list in the bottom pane. Right click the new disk and select "Initialize Disk". Be careful! It should say "Not Initialized" in the description box and match the size that you specified when you created it.

After initialization is complete, right click on the "Unallocated" panel to the right. Select "New Simple Volume". The rest of this part is pretty self explanatory, no tricks involved. Format as NTFS. Once completed it should mount itself on its own.

Open up Adobe Creative Cloud. Click on the gear icon in the upper right. Select "Apps" in the left panel. Change your install location to the new drive you created.

That gave me enough room to install the entire creative suite onto my emergency tablet.

You'll have to re-mount the VHD on startup but that's a lot fewer hoops to run and everything seems to work. There are methods to auto mount the vhd that you can find on google, or just double click on the vhd after you log in. The main creative cloud application and files still install to the main drive, but this gave me enough room to open photoshop and still have room left for a disk cache on the main drive.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I also have a Surface Go and it doesn't have enough space for the full CC suite. As you would know, the previous method of using a mounted version of the SD card got patched. This works fantastically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine came back saying it 'Cannot install to Root Path." Any solutions there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, don't install it to the root path. The root path is the folder at the top of the drive, like K:  make a subfolder. (I am not advocating and haven't tested these steps)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, didnt think of this. Im now able to install photoshop on an ultrabook with only 64gb SSD.

To expand on your solution; you can avoid mounting it manually on startup by adding the following Scheduled task (to run at logon)

powershell.exe -c Mount-DiskImage 'path and filename of vhd file'

🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solution has worked! Question after we have done this. Should we delete the programs off the local storage disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines