Highlighted

Install CC apps to External hard drive

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I download the Adobe Creative Cloud applications on my external drive instead of in the desktop?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by ProDesignTools | Most Valuable Participant

Absurd? Not at all. Please give examples of any other major software vendors that do this with their installed desktop products.

By default, your Creative Cloud apps are installed in the Program Files folder (Windows) or the Applications folder (Mac OS).

It is possible to change the default install location, although it is not recommended. Open the Creative Cloud desktop app and click the gear icon at the top right of the window. Choose Preferences > Apps > Install location > Change. Navigate to the desired location and click Open. Your new install location appears in the menu.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Install CC apps to External hard drive

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I download the Adobe Creative Cloud applications on my external drive instead of in the desktop?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by ProDesignTools | Most Valuable Participant

Absurd? Not at all. Please give examples of any other major software vendors that do this with their installed desktop products.

By default, your Creative Cloud apps are installed in the Program Files folder (Windows) or the Applications folder (Mac OS).

It is possible to change the default install location, although it is not recommended. Open the Creative Cloud desktop app and click the gear icon at the top right of the window. Choose Preferences > Apps > Install location > Change. Navigate to the desired location and click Open. Your new install location appears in the menu.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 23, 2016 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, the Adobe installer will not (and rightly so!) allow installs to a drive that may be disconnected, since doing such could lead to drastic effects on the operating system

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2016 1
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could use a bit more information here... There is no reason the bulk CC application files shouldn't be able to be installed on an external drive. Adobe CC itself should be installed locally and the apps should have the capability to be installed on an external drive - this would allow Adobe users to be able to move from one computer to another perhaps one that is on a metered connection with updated applications - it is absurd to think they dont support this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2017 0
Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2017 0
Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing a program in Windows (I don't do Mac) makes many entries in the system registry file... as well as putting hidden registration files on the system drive so the programs know they are legal and may be used

Moving an external drive to another computer will A break the system registry and B not allow the programs to know they are legal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2017 2
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that explanation.  That makes sense.  Its a bummer....but

makes sense

With Gratitude,

Miika L. Duran

[personal information removed for your protection - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im no expert, and believe me....I have been playing with all Adobe products for 20 years and I would still call myself a beginer/intermediate.  BUT, I am having the same issue.  I would love to be able to (and if I am using the wrong geek terminology....forgive me) run my photoshop directely from an external hard drive because i only have a chrome book currently ( i spilled milk on my Mac....ugg).  I get it...if you can do this then that also means the program{s} can be pirated...right?  But with technology these days it seems they should have SOME source of validation for those of us who PAY for it (and currently cant use it). 

But I think everyone above is correct.  You can down load the files on an external hard drive and move them wherever you want.  You just cant LAUNCH the program from the external drive.....isn't that correct???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Guys i read what you had to say. I agreewith @miikad33. But any ways i triesd and the message was "unable to store at this location". 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the steps " Open the Creative Cloud desktop app and click the gear icon at the top right of the window. Choose Preferences > Apps > Install location > Change." but it was failing as Adobe CC couldn't write to the external hard drive. Switching back to the default location "/Applications" worked. So I tried to mimic the file permissions of "/Applications" folder to the location in which I want to install in the external hdd and it worked. 

All I did is ->

From Finder Window navigate to the location where we have to install our application in external HDD.

Right click on the folder and click on 'Get Info'

Under 'Sharing and Permissions': Click on '+' while holding 'opt' key, which opens a popup window.

Search "system" and select "System Administrator" here and click ok.

Change file permission for System Administrator to 'Read & Write'

I have tried to install the applications now and they were successfully installed to my external HDD.

Hope this helps anyone facing the error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same on macOS 10.15.6, even renaming the folder to 'Applications', but it doesn't work. I'm using a Samsung T5 external SSD.

However, you can simply move the files from the internat to the external disc and that works fine. The Creative Cloud app then doesn't recognize your versions anymore, so updating should be done manually.

Because disc space on Macbooks is limited and expensive, and I have my files on external discs anyway, it makes sense to also run the programs from those discs. Lightroom runs just as fast/slow as ever.

I honestly hate the whole Adobe ecosystem that does everything different (even running apps full screen is not as it should be), but it's difficult to get out of it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0