• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installation failed, "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX Error: Error 2"

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new computer with Microsoft Windows 10 as the operating system and for some reason the CS4 Flash is the only program out of all the one in my CS4 Premium Suite that will not install. I clicked on the more information option and it stated, "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX Error: Error 2."

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

There were several CS versions (don't recall all of them) that also included Flash Player ActiveX (for IE) and NPAPI plugin (for Firefox, Safari, etc) as part of the installation workflow.  Unfortunately, the CS installation script doesn't check if Flash Player already exists on the system and if so, skip the installation of Flash Player (which is a older version, even at the time CS4 was released, a newer version of Flash Player was already available than what was packaged with CS4).  The issue

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstall your flash player(s) using the control panel

retry installing using compatibility mode, xp sp3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kglad; unfortunately after I uninstalled the flash players and tried to install CS4 Flash again the same problem occurred.

The premium suite disc went through the process like it was going to work, but then produced the same output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you use compatibility mode to install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried but could not figure it out how to do that since the premium disc installs from auto-play mode.

Can you please explain to me how to perform this task in detail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy the disc contents to a desktop directory.

right click setup>click properties>click compatibility>tick run in comp mode>select xp sp3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kglad; I'm about to do that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this 3 times and it still did not work; every time the installation got to the Flash Player 10 ActiveX an installation error pops up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Installing Flash Player forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Windows 8, Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX Control for IE (and Edge on Windows 10) in the browser. All Flash Player for IE/Edge updates are released by Microsoft via Windows Update.  Due to this, Microsoft locks the embedded Flash Player files and there is no way to delete/remove the embedded version of Flash Player, short of modifying permissions to delete the files, which will then result in your system not updating Flash Player via Windows Update.

Flash CS4 installs Flash Player ActiveX (very, very old version of it), but since Flash Player ActiveX already exists on the system Flash CS4 installation is failing with the error "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX Error: Error 2." I'm not aware of a work-around to this.

This really is a Flash CS4 issue and I'm not sure why the discussion was moved to the Installing Flash Player forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, it did help to get your assessment of the issue, but i'll move it back.

[moved from Installing Flash Player to Downloading, Installing, Setting Up]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were several CS versions (don't recall all of them) that also included Flash Player ActiveX (for IE) and NPAPI plugin (for Firefox, Safari, etc) as part of the installation workflow.  Unfortunately, the CS installation script doesn't check if Flash Player already exists on the system and if so, skip the installation of Flash Player (which is a older version, even at the time CS4 was released, a newer version of Flash Player was already available than what was packaged with CS4).  The issue with Windows 8 and above is that the embedded Flash Player version cannot be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great explanation.  thank you very much.

i'll leave it to the op to determine whether it's worth messing with ie to try and get flash cs4 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically you are saying is that the only way my problem can be fixed is by buying a newer version of Adobe Flash / Animate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not the only way.  you could mess with your os settings so you can uninstall flash player.  there's some risk you will mess up your os and then need to reinstall it so i'm not sure it's worthwhile.  it depends on how important flash cs4 is to you and how risk averse you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed...
I only use it from time to time, but I really don't like the idea of not being able to use something that I have paid for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand that.

if i were you i would do nothing and see if something comes up where i absolutely need flash cs4 and couldn't make do with the other cs4 programs.  only then would i consider fiddling with the ie flash player.  and at that point, i would google info on it and see what others had to say about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed...

I actually checked Google and the problem seems only to exist with Windows 10 and 8.1; I was wondering should I downgrade and then install the program and then reinstall Windows 10...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only exists on those versions because Microsoft started embedded Flash Player ActiveX in IE in Windows 8 (which is no longer supported by Microsoft).  Every single version of Windows that Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX in IE will have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I should try to find a copy of Windows 7 then or just delete IE...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still an issue. I need Flash CS4. Has anyone come across a fix or workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines