• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing apps on a different hard drive, "Cannot install to root path."

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to install my Adobe apps to a hard drive other than the C drive. I find the Install Location option in preferences and when I choose the drive that I want, the app tells me that it "cannot install to root path." This is a non-removable drive and I made sure to format and create a simple volume from the drive. Do I need to put the apps into a specially named folder or something? I can't seem to find the answers.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Hi JNH,

You have mentioned that you would like to install the Adobe Creative Cloud apps on a different drive location of your computer. Yes, you can configure the installation destination from within the Creative Cloud app preferences to do so, however we would suggest you to install your applications on the primary drive or C drive only.

Please be aware that there will still be shared resources stored to your primary drive, In addition during the install process temporary files will also be creat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what os?

what suite version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what you are trying to install, but all Adobe programs usually require some portion to be installed on the main drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Creative Cloud on my C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's your only option for the cc desktop app.  you can install the cc apps on other (non-portable, non-network drives).

are you having any problems with the apps?

[moved from Downloading, Installing, Setting Up to Creative Cloud Download & Install]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that I can only install the CC desktop app on the primary drive, but it's my understanding that I can install the Adobe apps (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) on a different drive. I found the option to choose the drive but it gives me the error listed above. How do I configure my drive so that I can install one of these apps on a non-primary drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it needs to be a non-portable, non-network drives with read/write privileges for the user (you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm concerned, it is a non-portable drive. It's secured in my desktop, formatted and partitioned into a volume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using a browser that allows popups and cookies,  contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'chat', http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html or contact @AdobeCare via twitter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create a folder in that drive your trying to install it in. The root directory is the primary drive itself. Create a file on that drive and call it Adobe programs or something like that and then try again. I know this is old but I had the same problem and didnt find the final correct answer. There were some good facts but not the final answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're a big help.. 🙂 thank you much.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for posting this comment, you saved my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it 100%, no problem at all. Glad I could help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you man! You also saved me from a lot of trouble. Much appreciated, had to sign in just to say thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS was the correct answer. Thank you sooo much for posting.  Major hero points for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this man!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this comment is everything. TO THIS DAY lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! It worked like a champ.  I created the folder and then went to File Preferences and made it default to that new folder.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, creating a folder called "Adobe Files" in my D drive and then selecting that to install to worked and got around this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet! Hope the answer wasnt too hard to find. Any other questions I can
try to answer them if I know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, two years later, this is the correct answer and not even the highlighted one. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This literally saved me so much headache. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answered my problem thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This man is the GOAT. Three years later and still saving lives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines