Highlighted

Installing apps on a different hard drive, "Cannot install to root path."

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to install my Adobe apps to a hard drive other than the C drive. I find the Install Location option in preferences and when I choose the drive that I want, the app tells me that it "cannot install to root path." This is a non-removable drive and I made sure to format and create a simple volume from the drive. Do I need to put the apps into a specially named folder or something? I can't seem to find the answers.

Hi JNH,

You have mentioned that you would like to install the Adobe Creative Cloud apps on a different drive location of your computer. Yes, you can configure the installation destination from within the Creative Cloud app preferences to do so, however we would suggest you to install your applications on the primary drive or C drive only.

Please be aware that there will still be shared resources stored to your primary drive, In addition during the install process temporary files will also be created on your primary drive.

Please see the screen shot below for more information:

Note: If you have already installed apps then you'll have to uninstall them and make the location changes in Creative Cloud Desktop app, after that reboot the machine and now install your apps again and it should install on new selected location.

Let us know if this helps.

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Installing apps on a different hard drive, "Cannot install to root path."

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to install my Adobe apps to a hard drive other than the C drive. I find the Install Location option in preferences and when I choose the drive that I want, the app tells me that it "cannot install to root path." This is a non-removable drive and I made sure to format and create a simple volume from the drive. Do I need to put the apps into a specially named folder or something? I can't seem to find the answers.

Hi JNH,

You have mentioned that you would like to install the Adobe Creative Cloud apps on a different drive location of your computer. Yes, you can configure the installation destination from within the Creative Cloud app preferences to do so, however we would suggest you to install your applications on the primary drive or C drive only.

Please be aware that there will still be shared resources stored to your primary drive, In addition during the install process temporary files will also be created on your primary drive.

Note: If you have already installed apps then you'll have to uninstall them and make the location changes in Creative Cloud Desktop app, after that reboot the machine and now install your apps again and it should install on new selected location.

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 22, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what os?

what suite version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 0
Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what you are trying to install, but all Adobe programs usually require some portion to be installed on the main drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Creative Cloud on my C drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 0
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's your only option for the cc desktop app.  you can install the cc apps on other (non-portable, non-network drives).

are you having any problems with the apps?

[moved from Downloading, Installing, Setting Up to Creative Cloud Download & Install]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that I can only install the CC desktop app on the primary drive, but it's my understanding that I can install the Adobe apps (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) on a different drive. I found the option to choose the drive but it gives me the error listed above. How do I configure my drive so that I can install one of these apps on a non-primary drive?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 0
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it needs to be a non-portable, non-network drives with read/write privileges for the user (you).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm concerned, it is a non-portable drive. It's secured in my desktop, formatted and partitioned into a volume.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 0
Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using a browser that allows popups and cookies,  contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'chat', http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html or contact @AdobeCare via twitter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create a folder in that drive your trying to install it in. The root directory is the primary drive itself. Create a file on that drive and call it Adobe programs or something like that and then try again. I know this is old but I had the same problem and didnt find the final correct answer. There were some good facts but not the final answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2019 4
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're a big help.. 🙂 thank you much.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for posting this comment, you saved my life.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it 100%, no problem at all. Glad I could help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you man! You also saved me from a lot of trouble. Much appreciated, had to sign in just to say thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JNH,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a good suggestion that you only run the program from the same drive as the OS (operating system).   I can't deny that because you can open other cans of worms that may lead to more questions. I have found that it is fine to install on a different drive. I went into my settings and made sure any folders related to cache or anything of the sort was on the same drive I installed adobe on. I've never had any issues running adobe from a drive not share with my OS.  I'm sure there can be issues but I have not had any. My OS is on a m.2 drive that's stand alone. I don't save anything to it. I don't have any issues at all and I push my computer hard. I like the fact I can have Illustrator, photoshop, audition, and premiere pro all open and running at the same time as well as watching my favorite creative content or streaming my own. Never any issues my point but I can't argue that there could be issues. Anything is possible, especially when you just don't know. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just discovered the solution!

Changing Install location from Creative Cloud won't help you as it shows the same "cannot install in root path" error.

The trick is simple.

You just have to create a folder say, Adobe/NewVolume(E:) and choose the folder as the new location and proceed further.

I hope this will help.

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see you got it to work

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet! Looks like the advice has been successful for everyone so far. Happy
creating!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0