Highlighted

Installing CC Applications on a Removable Drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as I could not find any solutions to the problem of installing CC Apps on a removable drive, I'm going to share my own in case others find it helpful. In my setup, I have a 128gb external SD card in a tablet with only 32gb preinstalled. Adobe Creative Cloud manager would not let me install any programs to the SD Card (my 😧 drive) because it is a removable disk.

My fix involves simply mounting the external drive in an empty folder on the C: drive, so that creative cloud is unaware of the true path of the drive.

Right click on the windows menu and choose disk management.

Right click on the partition you want to install Adobe CC applications to.

Select "Change Drive Letters and Paths..."

Click Add.

Point to an empty NTFS folder on the C drive that you would like to use as your mount point. Myself, I used "C:\ExtSD"

Click OK.

Now you can select a folder on your external drive through the mount point on your C: drive, which to Adobe, simply looks like a folder.

I used "C:\ExtSD\Program Files\Adobe"

Everything installs beautifully now!

Cheers!

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Installing CC Applications on a Removable Drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as I could not find any solutions to the problem of installing CC Apps on a removable drive, I'm going to share my own in case others find it helpful. In my setup, I have a 128gb external SD card in a tablet with only 32gb preinstalled. Adobe Creative Cloud manager would not let me install any programs to the SD Card (my 😧 drive) because it is a removable disk.

My fix involves simply mounting the external drive in an empty folder on the C: drive, so that creative cloud is unaware of the true path of the drive.

Right click on the windows menu and choose disk management.

Right click on the partition you want to install Adobe CC applications to.

Select "Change Drive Letters and Paths..."

Click Add.

Point to an empty NTFS folder on the C drive that you would like to use as your mount point. Myself, I used "C:\ExtSD"

Click OK.

Now you can select a folder on your external drive through the mount point on your C: drive, which to Adobe, simply looks like a folder.

I used "C:\ExtSD\Program Files\Adobe"

Everything installs beautifully now!

Cheers!

Topics

Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sending a thank you for this easy trick.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it helped !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this didn't work for me. It said that it can't install onto network drives.

Thanks Anyhow

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this, but it didn't work as advertised for me.  Adobe Illustrator thought it was going onto a network drive when I applied the above solution.  I tried it several different ways. 

I came up with a solution using Junction Links.  My solution seems to put all of Creative Cloud on the MicroSD card.  No guarantees, but check it out.  How to install Adobe CC Applications on a Different Tablet Drive MicroSD – Chad Bremmon

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines